Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Regarding the GamePad...I have to say, what I love about Nintendo is also what is a pain: their innovation is great, but it also means that in a profit-driven world, not everybody is going to design a game specifically for one console, or that they will port a game to the WiiU and integrate the GamePad as well as it could be used.
That also their big problem at the moment. If they made an Xbox/PS clone, then they wouldn't sell, because Nintendo consoles "are for kids". So they have to innovate, and then try to sway developers to go for the console. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are doing what they are supposed to.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yes, and I'm probably a guilty party! I stopped playing my PS1 because the load times were killing me! Loading at the front, loading at the end of asection, and even loading in the middle of sections. I finally gave up, and stated playing PS1 games again when Virtual GameStation came out as I could then use my PM 8500 with its 4x CD drive to load faster :D Anyway, the WiiU load times are not as bad as that, and I'm tolerating it well (perhaps I've mellowed over the last 18 years?).

About an hour after I posted the review, I realized I hadn't said anything about the WiiU GamePad and its use in the game! Where was my brain?

Regarding the GamePad...I have to say, what I love about Nintendo is also what is a pain: their innovation is great, but it also means that in a profit-driven world, not everybody is going to design a game specifically for one console, or that they will port a game to the WiiU and integrate the GamePad as well as it could be used.

At first, it seemed like the GamePad use in Lego City was perhaps gimmicky...you could use it as a scanner and hold it up to scan things. The "GPS"/map (they call it SatNav in the manual) function is cool as well, although I tend to look up at the game screen, and I navigate by using landmarks (and the game gives you green Lego tracks to follow). As the game has progressed, however, it has been more integral to the game. You also use it as a communicator (a nice way to move the plot along, and get more exposition) and as a map. They also have a clever way of having the character whip it out when Chase receives a call, or at certain marker areas where there is stuff to scan. It makes you realize how normal it is now (in real life) to take out an iPad or iPhone or (insert your favorite tablet or phone model here) -- you don't even bat an eye when Chase does it.

In any event, the GamePad adds flavor to the game, and as I get used to it, I will probably rely on it more. It seems obvious (now) to have some sort of functionality like this with video games. If corporations are willing to pay Apple or other manufacturers licensing fees (which I doubt), I could foresee future generations of consoles hooking up to regular phones and tablets for gameplay features, in addition to their regular controllers. The potential to adding to the gaming experience is there; it is an open question whether it would actually be used to enhance the experience (or for other nefarious means, such as selling you additional content). At least in Nintendo's case, with this game, I think they are on the right track, and making progress.

I haven't even gotten up to the part where you can use the pad for extra stuff yet!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Things just got more antisocial!

Well, I don't want to give away on plot/spoilers, but while working undercover, I had to intercept a guy before he got someplace. When he drove through the park, I had no choice but to follow him, and...we both ran over our fair share of innocent bystanders ;)

The music is awesome, btw!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just noticed Zombi U bug fix patch is out :) time to return to the Zombi carnage.

Loving Lego City Undercover and finally getting accustomed to Need For Speed's controls.

I like my Wii U :) at the moment.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I agree with the long review of Lego City Undercover. Its a lot of fun. My kids keep wanting me to play it more so they can watch instead of playing the game themselves

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Just ordered myself a black Wii U + Mario, Zombi and Pro Controller. Pretty excited, skipped several of the last 'next generations'.

Grew up with Mario (NES+Super+N64) and couldn't resist finally. Feels like being back home. :eek: Now Fifa and NfS and I'm settled.

First I thought one could use the controller with display as a real handheld, that'd have been welcomed for longer trips on train...or is there at least some Tetris like stuff possible? Have no clue at all! Didn't want to read too much about it, since there seems to be a lot of hate (!) going on about tech and whatnot...after 10 years+ of console absence, I'd like to surprise myself a bit. Like back in the 80s when I got my NES and had no clue, too, but loads of fun.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I also just picked up a Wii U Deluxe System.

I've had it about half a week so far and well I'm loving it! I haven't owned a console since the PS2/N64 (had them side by side).

I missed out on the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii because none of them felt to fit my personality. The PS3/360 felt like they were just for hard core gamers and I didn't feel that I fit into it. The Wii I felt was too far on the casual end of the market. I thought the motion control stuff was cool and fun, but it shouldn't have been the primary way to control the console.

The Wii U is perfect for me. I'll be able to enjoy a few of those motion type Wii games, while primarily using the console for games that I enjoy.

So far I own Nintendo Land, Super Mario Bros U, Call of Duty BO2, ZombiU and Batman Arkham City.

The GamePad is a great way to play games. I love the placement of the dual analog sticks. I enjoy what some of the developers have done with this second screen and even more so I love the fact that I can take the GamePad to bed and enjoy most games entirely on the GamePad. It is pretty amazing how you can take this big console and play just on the GamePad. I live in a studio so range has never been an issue for me.

The HDMI cable doesn't even need to be connected to the Wii U for this to work. As long as the console has power then you can do this. There is no complicated setup involved, once paired it is rock solid and I could see some people using the GamePad as their primary playback device. I think that would be a sad thing as the dual screen gameplay has its advantages.

Multiplayer is something that I am loving with the Wii U. Back when the N64 was out I was young enough were I had siblings and friends that lived next door to play with. These days I don't have a whole lot of people to play games locally with. Call of Duty 2 is an example of awesome multiplayer on the Wii U. I'm looking forward to more games supporting this. I'm really hopeful Super Smash Brothers for Wii U supports online multiplayer.

Nintendo hit a home run for me with the Wii U. The only big annoyance is audio. There is no optical audio out of the Wii U. I use a projector with an audio receiver. This means my audio is coming to the projector speakers and not my surround sound setup. I'm looking into alternative cables, but for now that is an annoyance.

So overall I am loving the Wii U. I am not sure why so many people are casting doom and gloom on this awesome successor to the Wii. I have not owned a console in over 10 years and this is a great way to get back into gaming.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Interesting. Please post if you found a way to sort out the audio problem, I'm going to use a beamer/projector as well.

I also share your view about those seemingly hard-core gamer consoles. I found them much too huge, visually not acceptable, quite expensive (and loud). Last console I used was Dreamcast and N64, loved 'em both. But that's probably more than a decade ago. :eek: Hope there will be plenty of 2d titles released, really looking forward to Rayman (and Yoshi!!). Maybe some Streetfighter, too? NBA Jam would be awesome! :D But mind, I'm about to play 2-3 hours a week, so I guess that's what a pretty casual gamer is.

Anyone played this Goldeneye Wii remake on the Wii U? Any experiences to share? Goldeneye was the bomb back in the days, if the Wii version is decent enough, I'll probably get it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I'm going to try a component cable that they sell for the Wii/Wii U - what I'm curious about is image quality of that vs HDMI.

The sound isn't really a big issue so far - having audio coming into the GamePad helps out a great deal and the projector speakers are much more suitable for games rather than movies.

I'd imagine I could also use the headphone output of the GamePad into the audio receiver if I wanted - there are some thin cables that might do the job, but for now not a huge issue.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Use the HDMI cable to your set, and use a Wii cable for audio to your sound system.

Has anyone played Mass Effect 3? Now that Aliens: Colonial Marines is cancelled... :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Wii U will only output via one cable - ill give it a shot and report back.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Use the HDMI cable to your set, and use a Wii cable for audio to your sound system.

Has anyone played Mass Effect 3? Now that Aliens: Colonial Marines is cancelled... :(

Played it on other formats, its great but not played it on Wii.

However I have played other Wii U ports like Batman, Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden 3 so suspect the port will play fine with few small niggles here and there because its a port.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Is there any possible problem I should know about when buying Wii U games second hand (Amazon i. e.)? Thought about getting Fifa, but am unsure about codes or whatnot. Anyone knows anything?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Is there any possible problem I should know about when buying Wii U games second hand (Amazon i. e.)? Thought about getting Fifa, but am unsure about codes or whatnot. Anyone knows anything?

The only problem you may have is earning Nintendo Club reward points - beyond that no issues.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The only problem you may have is earning Nintendo Club reward points - beyond that no issues.

Club Nintendo?? That reminds me on...
49868103.jpg
:D

Well, but thanks anyway musicpenguy. Seems like no problem then. Was wondering about possible DLCs or something.
Couldn't resist and already ordered Need for Speed, super excited!! If they'd only dispatch my orders...

Antares

macrumors 68000
I enjoy what some of the developers have done with this second screen and even more so I love the fact that I can take the GamePad to bed and enjoy most games entirely on the GamePad.

Agreed. I love playing with it in bed. Be careful, though. I've slept with the gamepad a few times. Knocked it to the floor more than once. It's sturdily built...so, it held up perfectly fine. But it fell to a carpet and not a hard surface...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Agreed. I love playing with it in bed. Be careful, though. I've slept with the gamepad a few times. Knocked it to the floor more than once. It's sturdily built...so, it held up perfectly fine. But it fell to a carpet and not a hard surface...

Good point haven't had that problem yet - movies can put me to sleep - games not as much. The Gamepad is thankfully very lightweight.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, but don't let that become a habit. Since I noticed my iphone could handle drops from various heights onto various hard surfaces, I got a bit too lax about it..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone here played The Cave? Sounds like good, clean, nostalgic fun. Ron Gilbert should be a keeper.

Yeah got it on Wii U, PS3 & Mac :D

Got it on Mac in the app store sale, got in on PS3 free with PS+ and bought it full price for Wii U.

Playing through it on each version with different characters so that I complete it fully.

It's very good, slow paced and often some of the puzzles are very abstract, but otherwise I like it.

Biggest problem is often having to move your three characters through the same areas repeatedly - tends to get bit repetitive.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah got it on Wii U, PS3 & Mac :D

It's very good, slow paced and often some of the puzzles are very abstract, but otherwise I like it.

Think I'm sold on this one. :)

Besides you, or someone else, happen to know of or played Trine 2 on the U? Sorry, really late to the party, but it looks fascinating.
And while I'm at it, NBA 2k13 any good? It's rather cheap here in Germany, but can't find a lot of infos about it, seems like no one's buying it. Could be a good time wasting opportunity while waiting to see Fifa14 (think I'll pass on 13) released.

Wow, girlfriend will start to hate on me! Hope she digs Mario multiplayer...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.