Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
I think the delays have a lot to do with a planned migration to a multitouch UI....

The patents are certainly in place, the UI definitely shows signs of moving toward a more three-dimensional design. It's just a matter of when the product will hit the market...

That announcement *could* come as early as WWDC. It's not at all inconceivable... the multitouch technology is already here. Apple's already releasing one product with it, and they started developing it several years ago... which means by now they're almost certainly testing prototypes of larger scale multitouch interfaces running OS prototypes.

Anyone who thinks they're not thinking this far ahead is easily forgetting how they stunned the world when they revealed, after announcing the Intel Macs, that OS X had already been coded as dual binaries since 10.1.

It certainly would explain a lot of the latency and secrecy around Leopard... and it fits with their product strategy.

I very well doubt it. While the technology is there, the market isn't ready for multi-touch OS and devices. Perhaps they are working on slowly implementing such technology into desktops and other devices, but the most Leopard will have to do with multi-touch/input systems is integration with the iPhone... :(

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Think

Second, has anyone seen this freeverse software Think? (http://www.freeverse.com/think/) It looks like this could be along the same thought lines as Apple's rumoured illuminous UI. Not only that but it's free. I haven't downloaded it yet myself, but would be interested to here how it runs.

I just tried Think (thanks for sharing). Not a fan. Feels a bit limiting.
For me, Exposé is perfect.

Going back to earlier comments about UI: The contents of my windows, web pages, even the work I do (design) is colorful and "distracting " enough. Why add to that aspect with a distracting UI? The candy-colored, wet bubble look is so dated. And so Windows. Eek!

Yep, I'm in the camp that would like to see Apple FINALLY clean up their UI, giving the user a consistant UI that allows the content to shine rather than a UI that compete with said content.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

WTF!!! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT UNTIL JUNE!!! WHY TELL ME NOW!!! I'm so depressed...

10.5 better be released before that, or I won't be happy!! I would of rather of not known and been excited when it was closer... I know you have to tell people about it early so people can get there but.... nothing... I just love apple so much I don't want to wait for anything.... I'm sorry Steve... I'm not mad at you... I'll just wait...

The Stig

I have a $2700 gift card to the apple store...i'll sell it to anyone if leopard doesn't come out by april....i'll give up on my mbp

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
lmao

Panther's secret features?

I can post you detailed screen grabs of every single one of Panther's flagship features.

Anyone can really, it's a few years old now.

I've seen like 10 people think that panther is coming out...theyre still stuck in the stoneages

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
I think the delays have a lot to do with a planned migration to a multitouch UI. It should be evident to anyone who has closely studied Mac's product development cycles that Apple's iPhone is testing the waters of a very powerful type of user interface which allows gestures, sometimes referred to as "chording".

I think it's too early for that. I don't doubt that Apple plans to release more devices with this kind of interface, but overhauling the desktop/laptop line to work with this kind of interface requires a drastic leap of faith on Apple's part, plus the cooperation of the entire development community to, essentially, throw out virtually everything and start again.

I can see Apple migrating itself from being Macintosh based to being based upon some new platform with this kind of UI (much as it did from Apple II to Mac, albeit this time it's keeping the underlying OS.) But I can't see the Mac itself migrating, because we're talking about an entirely different type of computer. And it's going to take a few years before people feel comfortable with the idea of organizing their lives around one, in the same way as they would a computer today.

FWIW, I don't think Apple plans to do much in terms of seminars on how to program the phone this WWDC, despite it being on nearly everyone's prediction list. Apple is, right now, seeing the phone as a closed platform. It'll be a while before they open it up and talk publically about how to make it sing.

My bet is firmly on Leopard, and/or new hardware.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I very well doubt it. While the technology is there, the market isn't ready for multi-touch OS and devices. Perhaps they are working on slowly implementing such technology into desktops and other devices, but the most Leopard will have to do with multi-touch/input systems is integration with the iPhone... :(

I think it's too early for that. I don't doubt that Apple plans to release more devices with this kind of interface, but overhauling the desktop/laptop line to work with this kind of interface requires a drastic leap of faith on Apple's part, plus the cooperation...

I'm not making concrete predictions here. I don't claim to be psychic nor am I one of the many inane internet pundits who likes to throw out a million predictions in the hopes of getting one right just so I can claim the useless bragging rights of "first to predict" that are so perversely coveted on the internet... I just see the strategic path they're cobbling together and the improvements inherent to Leopard are, while not necessarily coincident with a multitouch Mac release for WWDC, tactical footprints in that direction.

Apple's roadmaps for product development are generally two to three years. This means that if they're designing and testing multitouch prototypes right now, and they most likely are, in two to three years time you're going to see the introduction of a multitouch Mac, shaped largely by the feedback they get from customers after the iPhone's release.

Apple has to do something with the UI that's remained largely unchanged in its basic framework (desktop, 2D bitmap icons, menubar, layered 2D navigation and operation via keyboard/mouse, etc.)... and they tend to try to stay not just slightly, but significantly ahead of the curve.

The various types of visual feedback and physics imitation in the iPhone (scroll momentum, intuitive chording that matches the intended function being executed, springback at end of list, etc.) seem entirely trivial to some, but these are all very logically-derived solutions that compensate for the lack of tactile feedback. There's a strategy behind this, as well.

Part of the objection to the iPhone is the lack of tactile feedback. Overcoming this objection requires delivering something greater in return. Apple's strengths in this area can be seen in things as simple as the scroll acceleration curve in even 1st generation iPods, or the noise generated for the otherwise noiseless trackball on the new Mouse...

Even tactile feedback cannot intuitively tell you when you are at the end of a list. A rubberband-effect as Jobs called it, trivial as it may seem, is a tiny way that unconsciously reminds the user they're at the end of a list. If a UI does nothing at the end of a list but stop, the user might be confused as to whether there's more to the list or whether the device is not reading their input... tactile, yes. Feedback, none.

The necessity of such intricate thought in UI design moving forward is driven by the need to present multiple layers of feedback efficiently in order to increase productivity in a way that's intutive to human beings. How we perceive and react to objects and motion in the real world is entirely automatic, but our brains expect certain data to tell us where we or our appendages are in space at any given moment in order to aid things we take for granted like walking or hanging a picture on a small nail... things which take tremendous locomotor coordination... but are nonetheless taken for granted because of how easily our brains process these tasks in the background.

I guess I began to really think about this aspect of industrial design while recovering from major surgery to partially correct my spastic diplegia (from cerebral palsy)... Most people don't actively think about their hip flexors, adductors, hamstrings, tibialis anterior or gastrocnemius muscle function when doing something as simple as walking. And you shouldn't have to...

One thing Apple is extremely brilliant at is charging their engineers with the task of thinking of these sorts of things for you, so that all the work that goes into making their products ridiculously easy to use has been done before hand. But this brilliance requires an underlying comprehension of how we interact with devices, both consciously and unconsciously.

Acceleration, momentum, etc. are useful feeback in a UI to give users an intuitive sense of how much "force" is required to produce a very specific desired result upon input. We adapt to this type of feedback almost instantaneously every day that we interact with the real world. Nothing could be more intuitive or useful, or more conducive to productivity.

If Apple can acclimate people to nontactile feedback behaviors that simulate what one should expect of manipulating objects in the real world, then they can very easily market a multitouch Mac and UI to replace the arcane desktop/menubar/mouse ergonomics that, in the age of thousands of files, audiovisual media and productivity suites is quickly becoming an utter catastrophe of industrial design.

The delays with Leopard may have to do partly with better integration with iPhone, partly with finishing off feature sets that bring them closer to, if not directly, a multitouch Mac... but have everything to do with their longer-term goal of redefining the UI in a huge way. I think based on the various pieces of the puzzle that this redefinition will result in the first practical multitouch PC with 3D navigation and application interaction.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Think of the pre-crime computer in "Minority Report" minus the holography and gloves. That is where I believe Mac and Mac OS are headed very soon.

That would be dumb. For starters, it needs specific displays to work. Second, it's tedious. As I'm typing this message, I can move the pointer with a slight movement of my hand. Imagine if I had to use the computer with raised arms so I could point and click on the screen? Imagine doing that several hours a day?

the UI in Minority Report looked cool. But it was created for a movie. They wanted something flashy for the silver-screen, they didn't have to worry about actually USING that UI for a prolonged period. of time.

It might work for tablets and PDA's. But using that kind of UI on a big screen that is standing vertically in front of you? Madness!

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
That would be dumb. For starters, it needs specific displays to work. Second, it's tedious. As I'm typing this message, I can move the pointer with a slight movement of my hand. Imagine if I had to use the computer with raised arms so I could point and click on the screen? Imagine doing that several hours a day?

the UI in Minority Report looked cool. But it was created for a movie. They wanted something flashy for the silver-screen, they didn't have to worry about actually USING that UI for a prolonged period. of time.

It might work for tablets and PDA's. But using that kind of UI on a big screen that is standing vertically in front of you? Madness!

what if you had it lying down in front of you at a slight angle? After all, you wouldn't need a keyboard or mouse. I guess you're neck might hurt after a while though.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

When I said "exactly" I wasn't referring to the transparent and horizontal display or standing up hours on end... I was referring to the way the user interface functions: chording gestures that intuitively navigate through three dimensions from essentially a two-dimensional display.

I'm talking about seeing this on, say, an iMac. Now, your first reaction might be "but iMacs are stationary and upright." This is where I'd ask you, and others here who have approached this from the negative, to think forward...

People like to say "tablet PC"... but what images does a tablet PC conjure up? Usually a single-point touchscreen which doesn't allow the user to do things remotely close to what they can do with a multitouch UI. That's why I haven't chosen to use that term directly to refer to where Apple is headed in this case.

What images does an iMac conjure up? Well, several, because iMac has gone through several logical design evolutions: CRT and computer in one case > Luxo Jr.-style LCD lamp-Mac > RoundRect all-in-one iMac (23 years and round rectangles are STILL everywhere!)

Well, how about the next iMac? Well, some people may use the upright design in a multitouch. Others might not. Solution? Make the screen/computer removable from the swivel armature. Voila... iMac/TabletMac in one.

Also, don't get rid of the mouse or the keyboard... multiple options for input devices have been typical of computers for some time: joysticks, paddles, keyboard shortcuts for mouse operations, etc. This type of backward compatibility would be absolutely necessary... I'm certainly not talking about eliminating that.

Another thing that's interesting is the disparity between how engineers not working for Apple see things vs. how the general public sees things. I'll get a hundred replies as to what's wrong with the multitouch Mac idea or why it's not practical yet from the engineer set (not surprisingly, I've received no such complaints from Apple engineers with whom I've shared such ideas)...

But go to YouTube and look at the average user's observations about things like iPhone and they're fired up. The average consumer is thinking up all kinds of ways they can put such technology to use in their personal and professional lives. Granted, many of the techno-elite will thumb their noses (not unlike the way people thumbed their noses 30 years ago at the idea of a personal computer) at iPhone and other emerging technologies because they're analytically dissecting the design down to its individual features without understanding that form is a HUGE factor in industrial design and usability. Form is always downplayed in such forums.

Here's a simple example of a very technical use for a multitouch iMac: Say you have a patient in South Dakota who needs a critical operation and there are only a few surgeons in the world skilled enough to do the procedure. Also, this is a risky procedure, so diagnostic needs are critical. The solution might be something like a Mac Pro with a multitouch interface on a Cinema HD monitor. Diagnostic imaging may come from a portable MRI (which now exists) positioned right in the operating room, feeding data to the HD display. The surgeon then uses the interface to remotely control robotics that have jitter filters to buffer out unintentional tremors or slight wobbliness of the surgeons hands for precision movement... such robotic surgery systems are being tested now. This would take a risky procedure known by a few expert doctors and make it a minimally-invasive procedure available to many patients while (and this is KEY) adapting the interface to capitalize on the surgeon's knowledge, skills and techniques, not the other way around. There are huge benefits for the patients, the doctors (lower risk of malpractice) and the industry as a whole.

Granted, this example is more technically complicated and further down the road than the run of the mill multitouch UI that we'll see in homes in the next three years... but it's a demonstration that there are all kinds of professional and personal applications for this technology.

However, rather than taking Microsoft's approach of trying to shoehorn products into the public psyche, Apple starts with ideas like this and then focuses them sharply on customer needs and wants by gaining feedback from their "feeler" products (e.g. iPhone) as to what purposes they should shape such technologies around... instead of blindly throwing the gadget out there with the hope that people will incidentally find uses for it.

Various components of Leopard are very suitable for adapting users to a multitouch UI, e.g Time Machine, Spaces, Cover Flow, etc. in which they can more directly interact with their data, information, media, etc. rather than through an indirect, nonintuitive input device like a mouse or keyboard. The techno-elite may scoff at my criticism of the mouse and keyboard, but even nearly thirty years after it was first thrust into widespread use, there are many people who simply don't get it. I would submit to you that many more people have been intuitively using their hands to manipulate objects for hundreds of thousands of years to create and produce things in the real, physical world.

A system that melds with this intuitive knowledge is a lot more appealing in personal and professional computing to the majority for whom the computer is nothing more than a device that allows them to do things, create, be productive, entertain, imagine, and so on. For those of us for whom the computer is itself an object for which we produce things, the saliency of this point is often easily lost... That fact does not make philistines out of the computer illiterate. It is only incidental to the clumsy design of computers today that technical prowess has become something of an intellectual commodity that is lorded over those who don't understand.

But speaking also as a musician, I know many fellow musicians who think the same of technical proficiency with musical instruments... and attempt to protect their incidental skill by complaining about the nature of electronic instruments simplifying the technical requirements. Since when did it become law that only those with technical skill should be allowed artistic expression? Maybe some uncoordinated guy somewhere has an idea for a brilliant composition we may never hear simply because he's too daunted by the mechanical requirements of instrument playing.

This sort of intellectual commoditization is nonsense... The underlying fear that the simplicity of future technologies will put people out of jobs is unfounded... at least for those talented enough to continue developing their technical proficiency to stay ahead of the curve and stay in demand. Stan Winston didn't throw his arms up when puppeteering was replaced by CG. He just focused on developing greater skill and realism in CG than the next guy. Stan Winston's doing just fine.

I know I've gone considerably off the beaten path here but I feel it necessary to address these issues as they are essentially roadblocks to understanding that the real goal of technology should be to make the execution of the task many times simpler than the desired result. Technology that makes the task many times more complex than the desired result is utterly inefficient and horrendously unproductive.... not to mention patently unimaginative.

A jazz drummer I know once said, "Good drummers take a simple piece and make it look confusing and complex. Great drummers take an impossible piece and make it look ridiculously easy." This should be the goal of industrial design: Bring out the great drummer in everyone.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Avatar74...you post like you are an attorney.

interesting thoughts, i like them.

I'm not an attorney... I just tend to write long matter-of-fact diatribes, lately ones that evangelize revolutionary technological concepts. (I wrote a paper in 1996 on internet music distribution... I cringe when reading it though as my writing skills have considerably improved since then.) :D

Thanks for the compliment, though.

iPlato

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2007
iPonies

and um... ponies. iPonies.

iPony.jpg

And you thought the iPhone was exciting.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
I'm not an attorney... I just tend to write long matter-of-fact diatribes, lately ones that evangelize revolutionary technological concepts. (I wrote a paper in 1996 on internet music distribution... I cringe when reading it though as my writing skills have considerably improved since then.) :D

Thanks for the compliment, though.
you got that paper? can you email it to me mls27@cox.net

i'm going to law school, hoping to get into the intellectual propery field in some form or fashion in the future... would be interested in reading it as that was at the beginnings of online music distribution

though i haven't posted them anywhere, i immediately begin to think of many ways apple could use their multi-touch technology after viewing the iphone keynote. For instance, replace the mouse pad on the MacBooks and Pros with a multi-touch type of mousepad. This could still be used like a mouse but the zoom in/zoom out function (pinching fingers) could be added as well as the coverflow option (slide finger across the pad). And whatever else they could think of... Just some thoughts.

backsidetailsli

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2006
Toronto!
k so with the invitation and the preview of leopard on apples site there are both hints at a new os theme.
invitation shows the dates highlighted in a black and on the site there is this bar.

picture1eq3.png

just a thought.

Musubi

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
U.S. / 東京 日本
Part of the objection to the iPhone is the lack of tactile feedback.
Not sure if anyone has discussed it before but there is a company which specializes in providing tactile feedback; Immersion Corporation. They have something called TouchSense/VibeTonz which provides tactile feedback for touchscreens. The Samsung SCH-W559 touchscreen mobile phone utilizes this technology. iPhone (and whatever else products Apple decides to use multitouch technology in) will more than likely include something like this in the future.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Not sure if anyone has discussed it before but there is a company which specializes in providing tactile feedback; Immersion Corporation. They have something called TouchSense/VibeTonz which provides tactile feedback for touchscreens. The Samsung SCH-W559 touchscreen mobile phone utilizes this technology. iPhone (and whatever else products Apple decides to use multitouch technology in) will more than likely include something like this in the future.

Thank you... It's refreshing to see such forward thinking... Just because a product doesn't include such a feature now doesn't preclude such evolution from taking place. I think you've presented something interesting there.

I was a bit concerned as to whether or not this TouchSense would work with the iPhone but the manufacturer does indeed claim that it functions with capacitance-based touchscreens. As to whether or not it works with multipoint capacitance touchscreens, though, might be an issue... but certainly just a speedbump. After all, the way you have to think if you are going to be on the leading edge of technology is not "We can't do this," but, "Maybe not yet, but HOW might we make it possible to do this?"

From there you begin identifying, if the direct technology doesn't exist, the intermediate steps you're going to need to evolve through technologically to get there. That's how you execute on the kind of radical product development roadmaps that resulted in the Apple II (using a language card and bank switching to achieve 80K RAM overcoming a 64K limit), the Macintosh (sticking the cursor refresh in the vertical blanking interval to achieve a flicker-free cursor that took Microsoft another ten years to figure out), OS X (writing dual binaries from day one to support Intel processor Macs five years in advance of the product)...

It's really scary and depressing what participation in technical forums has done to caress the misguided egos and philosophies of legions of jaded, unimaginative engineers who repeat bad designs ad nauseum and rarely invent anything new because they see technology as a means to its own end... rather than a means for a user to achieve something imaginative.

I think part of the problem may rest in the lack of ingenuity in industrial design, but some of it also rests with ego. If a brilliant CG artist does his job, hopefully no one notices. Humans have flaws, and ego is one of them... too often ego gets in the way of good business decisions. Most often, this takes the form of wanting to put your stamp on every damned thing and blare it loudly to the world as Bill Gates does. Frankly, Gates is a horrible innovator and he was never much of a programmer. But it's his perverse fantasy that the world will want what he wants them to want.

Either such an engineer is simply incompetent when it comes to usability and/or actually wants his work to be noticeably complicated, so that we might appreciate the technical prowess behind his unnecessarily convoluted invention. If it were flawless, we might never notice he existed. That would be ideal, but it would also be a blow to his ego. Consequently, you rarely see flawless design in IT.

You can force ego-stamped mediocrity on people and be successful... but as I learned from watching the CEO of my wife's company at a Christmas party, money doesn't necessarily buy coolness... or coordination on the dance floor, apparently.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
A little off topic, but one minor feature that would help is if you select at least 1 file/folder in the Finder (and possibly open/save boxes, too), there should be an option under the File menu and a contextual menu option to create a folder and put all the selected items in it. Where I work, some people have so many files on the desktop, they actually pile up. This way, you don't have to create a folder, hunt around to find where its icon is and then find all the files. All you have to do is selected at least some of the files, click a menu option and they're put into a new folder. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Spare us the martyrdom.

Nobody said it's a stupid idea.
Nobody said it will never happen.

What was said is that they're not going to announce that this will be the interface for the Mac at WWDC'07.

I, personally, said it will not be in a Mac but, after checking the viability with the iPhone, would seem likely to be in a new generation of computers, to the Mac as the Mac was to the Apple II. I cannot possibly fathom how that can be anything but embracing the concept.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Spare us the martyrdom.

Nobody said it's a stupid idea.
Nobody said it will never happen.

What was said is that they're not going to announce that this will be the interface for the Mac at WWDC'07.

I, personally, said it will not be in a Mac but, after checking the viability with the iPhone, would seem likely to be in a new generation of computers, to the Mac as the Mac was to the Apple II. I cannot possibly fathom how that can be anything but embracing the concept.

I wasn't speaking to the timetable in my replies so much as I was speaking to the way in which several individuals, yourself included, question the rapidity with which people will embrace such technology.

Also, knowing that Apple is now given to announcing some products ahead of their actual release dates, I wasn't suggesting that a product would be ready to ship by WWDC '07. I was suggesting it may be announced by then, and that the groundwork for the first phase of migration to the new UI could be in Leopard... I didn't say definitively that Leopard would be it.

However, it isn't necessarily the case that all developers need suddenly rewrite all their software from the "ground up" in order for a multitouch Mac to be deployed as you suggested in a previous post.

I am and have only been indicating that the seeds for a multitouch UI are being planted in Leopard, with the goal of introducing multitouch Macs to market within the next three years. I originally suspected perhaps five years, but it was a former Apple product engineer who suggested the narrower estimate based on his years of experience with the company in product R&D, customer feedback and deployment.

To summarize, my two overarching points are and only have been:

1. I think we'll see the first generation of multitouch Macs sooner rather than later (within 3 years, two at best).

2. I think that users will find multitouch very useful... easy to adapt to, practical and conducive to productivity.

Lastly, I'm not provoked by personality attacks or the people who employ them. I'm only interested in what intellectual value you contribute to the debate. Ad hominem contributes nothing of intellectual value whatsoever.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I hope we don't have to wait all the way 'till June to get Leopard, iLife and iWork '07. I doubt Apple wants to release this software concurrently with the iPhone - it would mean drama - which way are people going to go? Doesn't Steve want everyone's attention on the iPhone?
So I hope it gets released sooner, but let them take their time and release a good, stable OS. I'm buying it the minute it's out.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
I wasn't speaking to the timetable in my replies so much as I was speaking to the way in which several individuals, yourself included, question the rapidity with which people will embrace such technology.

Really? When did I address the rapidity of the embracing of such technologies?

Lastly, I'm not provoked by personality attacks or the people who employ them. I'm only interested in what intellectual value you contribute to the debate. Ad hominem contributes nothing of intellectual value whatsoever.

Perhaps a good start on your part might be to address what people are saying rather than attacking straw men. You certainly aren't "provoked by" personality attacks so much as subtly and unsubtly engaging in them. Your attacks are getting steadily worse too, as this above response response to a request that you stop misrepresenting my views demonstrates.

As I said above, nobody has said the idea of multitouch as a primary computer interaction system is stupid. What I, and others, have cast doubt on is the notion that it'll be a Macintosh technology (as opposed to an entirely new platform), and that it'll be a big part of WWDC '07. That's it. In response, we've been attacked by you for our apparent lack of vision, while you've "played the victim" as if hundreds of angry luddites are criticising the notion that advanced touchscreen technologies may be a major part of computing in the future.

I don't like being attacked for things that bare no relationship whatsoever to what I've said. Nor, I would imagine, do any of the others Macrumors regulars whose comments you've misrepresented this way.

You have some interesting ideas, but your desire to engage in personal attacks, including the use of straw men and implied ad-hominems, against those who disagree with the relevence of them to WWDC'07 is quite honestly increadibly off-putting to the point that I, for one, am inclined to put you on my ignore list. Please stick to addressing what people have written rather than portraying anyone who disagrees with any aspect of what you've written as a visionless luddite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.