Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I vaguely recall this from tiger but since cell phones were such back then it wasn't an option that I considered killer.

Great find, its something that completely left my brain cells (which is not really hard to do for me :p)

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Nope. iSync did just that: Synced your address book and calendar with your phone. But I can see how you get confused.

The bluetooth connectivity from Address Book actually predates iSync as it was released with Jaguar.

Ah, I thought that iSync handled all of that but I do remember the bluetooth assistant now.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Ah, I thought that iSync handled all of that but I do remember the bluetooth assistant now.
Bluetooth Assistant is still around, if you've got a non-iOS phone it may even still list calling capabilities advertised by Bluetooth when you set it up, but OS X now lacks the ability to do anything with most features.

I was really annoyed when they ditched iSync; I know they were struggling to get phone makers to actually provide profiles for it, but it also excluded those phones that didn't need one (because they actually implemented features like contact syncing properly). It really sucks for anyone (like me) who doesn't actually use an iPhone; obviously Apple would rather that I did, but that's not happening when pay as you go is all I need :)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not only that, but the dock now closely matches that of Tiger's, including the dot indicator. Leopard introduced the new 3D dock, which was enhanced in Mountain Lion, but Yosemite brought back a very similar style from the Tiger days.

Also, Yosemite is the first even-numbered release of OS X to use a single word for its name since Tiger. Look at this pattern:

10.4 - Tiger
10.6 - Snow Leopard
10.8 - Mountain Lion
10.10 - Yosemite

That list may not look like much, but when you think of the three additional odd-numbered releases in-between, it's a lot.

LOL. Some of you guys over-analyze too much stuff here.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
It worked just fine for many years and with most phones on the market (All my Nokias and Sony-Ericssons). I, too, was flabbergasted when they removed these useful features (as well as most things to do with BT connectivity) with the iPhone.

It was the first thing I tweeted when they re-introduced the feature: “SMS from my Mac? Flashback to 2003!"

Yeah I had a Nokia Flip phone then a Motorola Razr that worked with Address book. I loved it. I could see who was calling me without having to get up from where I was seated. The number appeared on my Mac screen.

@ErikGrim Nope. Bluetooth allowed me to send SMS messages. iSync transferred my Address book to my mobile phone. I used to laugh at my friends who were using a PC. Every mobile phone they had, they would lose their contacts. I simply just used iSync. As for the SMS and calling feature...The problem wasn't with the Mac Address book but the carrier. At&t phones worked flawless with it but Verizon blocked some of these features. I have to check and see which version of OSX I have on my PB. I'm still working with 10.2 on one of Macs. I don't think that comes close to anything except AppleTalk.

1995374174_942b7df236.jpg

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Are you sure you understood that feature correctly?
It sounds like you are thinking of iMessages?
That is a message but it's not a SMS. In the term of SMS as we know traditionally. So yes that could be done and that will probably still be there.

Yes, it worked even after they renamed iChat to Messages if I recall correctly:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3462?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You started it by going to File-> Send SMS, but they removed it by at least 10.9, maybe 10.8, not sure. I was annoyed when it was removed because I have a dumb phone, and it allowed me to SMS with people much more quickly than using T9. You could both send and receive SMS, and there was no cost. Seems like a lot of people didn't know about it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
@ErikGrim Nope. Bluetooth allowed me to send SMS messages. iSync transferred my Address book to my mobile phone. I used to laugh at my friends who were using a PC. Every mobile phone they had, they would lose their contacts. I simply just used iSync. As for the SMS and calling feature...The problem wasn't with the Mac Address book but the carrier. At&t phones worked flawless with it but Verizon blocked some of these features. I have to check and see which version of OSX I have on my PB. I'm still working with 10.2 on one of Macs. I don't think that comes close to anything except AppleTalk
What was the nope for? :confused:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yet Google Voice has been working fine for the past half decade?

I like your post. "Half" a "decade". Making only 5 years ago seem like a really long time. Tiger was released 9 years ago. Technology wasn't up to snuff back then and I'm sure GV wasn't running as well "Half a Decade" ago as it does today...and I will go even as far as to say it's not that great today. I use it and Skype is much better.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
My first thought at seeing the dock was that it looked like the Tiger dock.

I like it. Tiger is the first OS X I used on a regular basis. I even tried modding my Windows PC to look like a Mac.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
What was the nope for? :confused:

Sorry I think that second part was for another member not you. Sorry

One thing I laugh about is how a lot of Reviewers are saying Apple is catching up to Android. But really?? It's like Apple is bringing back stuff that been in the Apple environment. Like someone said iChat is the new iMessage. Those features that iChat had are now being put into iMessage.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Pshh, I remember when my iMac G3 notified me of incoming calls through the dial-up modem.
Wayy before Yosemite became cool.

Image Image

Was that MegaPhone? Back on my Performa 5200CD there was a program called MegaPhone that let you answer the phone on your Mac. It was third-party but came pre-installed. I think you could even use your Mac as an answering machine.

Edit: Wow, their web-site is still intact:

http://www.megaphoneco.com/index.htm

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Bluetooth Assistant is still around, if you've got a non-iOS phone it may even still list calling capabilities advertised by Bluetooth when you set it up, but OS X now lacks the ability to do anything with most features.

I was really annoyed when they ditched iSync; I know they were struggling to get phone makers to actually provide profiles for it, but it also excluded those phones that didn't need one (because they actually implemented features like contact syncing properly). It really sucks for anyone (like me) who doesn't actually use an iPhone; obviously Apple would rather that I did, but that's not happening when pay as you go is all I need :)

There are plenty of ways to go Pay as you Go on an iPhone. For GSM it simply needs to be unlocked. For CDMA I wrote a guide for Page Plus on this forum.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
There are plenty of ways to go Pay as you Go on an iPhone. For GSM it simply needs to be unlocked. For CDMA I wrote a guide for Page Plus on this forum.
You've missed my point; I'm not saying you can't use Pay As You Go with an iPhone, but that if you're using Pay As You Go because you don't need a costly contract, then a $600+ smart phone probably isn't the right choice to achieving that goal. That's why, for me, a $100 Android phone was a much better fit for me, as I don't need to use my phone all that much (as I spend most of my time working from my Mac), but it's still handy for better calendars, contacts and e-mail apps on the go. For someone who uses their phone a lot and/or is often on the move then a much more powerful smart phone will make a lot of sense, and a contract probably does offer them good value overall, but that's not everyone.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You've missed my point; I'm not saying you can't use Pay As You Go with an iPhone, but that if you're using Pay As You Go because you don't need a costly contract, then a $600+ smart phone probably isn't the right choice to achieving that goal. That's why, for me, a $100 Android phone was a much better fit for me, as I don't need to use my phone all that much (as I spend most of my time working from my Mac), but it's still handy for better calendars, contacts and e-mail apps on the go. For someone who uses their phone a lot and/or is often on the move then a much more powerful smart phone will make a lot of sense, and a contract probably does offer them good value overall, but that's not everyone.

The only reason why I said it was because I used an iPhone 4 for Verizon on Page Plus Pay as you Go. I got the phone free, but you can still pick them up in good-perfect condition for about $100.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Yosemite also brings back iDisk, in the name of iCloud Drive. It also changed the color of the Apple logo to grey (Developer Preview 2) And tiger had a blue. Both different colors from 10.5-10.9. Intressting Similarities

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.