Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Once again, for those complaining about not being able to delete the old YouTube icon for the stock YouTube app, you pretty much can just make it disappear.

Go to restrictions in settings and then turn YouTube off. The icon for the app is now gone.

ola SK,

i cannot find this on my new touch....... am i blind, stupid or both?
:eek:

PS- found it, thanks!

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I love the old vintage TV icon, it looks good next to my Hipstamatic and C64 apps. So... I'll be keeping the youtube app around just for that.

rmiller065

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
The official Youtube app has been obsolete for years. Why not just update the App too?

A-Men
I was able to use it for about a week, and now it just freezes and I can watch the same video on the web version and works flawless

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
this is so much better than the slow and outdated native youtube app. my phone feels refreshed!

george6000

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Anyone know why music videos from the official artist channels don't work?

stupid laws (copyright on mobile devices)
they want you to buy it on itunes and not just stream it this is silly however dailymotion allows music videos to the iphone :)

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Lots of other sites are better than the Apps

While this is good news, it isn't really news. The mobile Safari bookmark for the New York Times is better and faster than the NY Times App. The AP news mobile site is way faster than their app. There must be many more like this.

With the iPad almost all the web sites are better than the Apps. The only advantage to the apps like WSJ and NYT are that you can store it on the device if you don't have 3G. The Wall St Journal is so slow (even with the upgrade) that I can read my paper edition faster than the download.

nopple

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
I couldn't care less if Apple knows what I use the iTunes Store for, but I would care if they made me store all my data and apps on their servers as Google wants users to do.

Think about all the information you have on your hard drive - browsing history (which Google most likely already knows quite a bit about), family photos, videos, films, music, accounts, and calenders, to name a few. If you were using Google's OS, they'd have data on all of those things - they'd know what you spend money on, how much money you have, what your family look like, and where you'll be in the future as well as what Apple can get from iTunes Store habits.

Scared yet? Lots of mobile devices are also location-aware, so they can find out where you live and where you go out - and it's often said you can find out who someone is from that data alone, but add that to all the other information Google will have on you by that point and it's a privacy disaster!

So, I am very opposed to advertising companies storing all my data and software thank you very much.

Dude, you need to pack your bags and go live inside a cave in himalayas.
This is what happens if you try to make a 60 old start browsing on the web !!!

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

Dude, I'm 16. I just want basic privacy, unlike most people these days as it would seem :rolleyes:

Cottonsworth

macrumors regular
May 11, 2008
stupid laws (copyright on mobile devices)
they want you to buy it on itunes and not just stream it this is silly however dailymotion allows music videos to the iphone :)

I checked out dailymotion but there aren't official music videos, just fan made ones. :/

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. I will have you know that my Grandmother who is in her 80's is going to get her MCSE right now as well as being Apple certified.and shes working on other Certs as well as shes had nearly every iPhone and Mac that's been out going back to the original. I guess being a geek is hereditary for me. So its very ignorant to sit there and presume that someone who may or may not be older is afraid of technology.
:D

MALFEITOR

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Multitasking

Still can't watch a video and double tap the home button to check something else out with out it pausing. This happens with video podcast as will but not the audio ones. I'm sure peps want to hear some audio only from a video while they do other stuff on the phone.

Gazerbeam

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
On the old web page, I would go to subscriptions and it showed me the latest videos from the people I subcribed to.

Now all I get is the list of people I'm subscribed.

Am I missing something?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Still can't watch a video and double tap the home button to check something else out with out it pausing. This happens with video podcast as will but not the audio ones. I'm sure peps want to hear some audio only from a video while they do other stuff on the phone.

That would be a useful feature.

Cottonsworth

macrumors regular
May 11, 2008
look harder some fan may of uploaded the video your after

Thanks. I found that browsing the site through its regular page instead of the iphone page gives me better results for music videos. Have you always been able to view HQ videos on dailymotion through the iphone? I felt like I missed out on so much using youtube all this time. lol.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I like the web site better than the "app". Personally I'm still waiting on a Vimeo app.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Still no way to filter search results. I don't understand why this is not a priority!

The m.youtube revamp looks nice, and is fast. But is lacking (to me) the most important feature. I use the filter "upload date" (full browser version) all the time. And it is frustrating not to see it as an option.

Now, if you look at the top of a m.youtube page there is a Top Sites looking icon, click that and you'll see a set of icons. Click browse, and you see that a filter option is offered for the browse feature, but only for categories. They have it in place, they just need to implement it with the search criteria.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.