Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayd

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009

021534-youtube.jpg

Why doesn't our UI's look like this with the tabs across the top and the play buttons right on the videos?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I just moved the YouTube app to my "Unneeded" folder (along with Contacts, Stocks, Notes, Voice Memos, Weather, & others) and replaced it with the mobile site. Looks like it'll be staying that way until they finally update the default application.

Batman101

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
I cannot even logged into youtube, it always said authentication failed, but there is no way for me to enter that code in the youtube app. It's like youtube had blocked me from accessing my favourite video from ipod touch.

Bob70011

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
It would appear that video quality in the web app is overall worse than the native app. Over Wi-Fi, the native app is better. Over 3G, the web app is better since it doesn't force you to degrade the quality.

deenybird

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
glad to have this updated, but it still needs a "sort by date" option. Kinda can't believe that hasn't been implemented yet.

lordthree

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Louisville
The new YouTube sucks on my iPhone 3G. It practically breaks my phone whenever I've tried it (have to hard reboot) and it loads slower than the YouTube app. It doesn't add an option to search by upload date, which is the only thing I miss about the built in YouTube app. From someone who likes watching a lot of TV on YouTube, this is unusable. Once the video begins to play, I cannot pause or rewind, and if I exit while the movie is running, it crashes the phone. Utter crap. I'll wait till apple updates it's native app, all it realy needs are search options and playlist options...

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
The new YouTube sucks on my iPhone 3G. It practically breaks my phone whenever I've tried it (have to hard reboot) and it loads slower than the YouTube app. It doesn't add an option to search by upload date, which is the only thing I miss about the built in YouTube app. From someone who likes watching a lot of TV on YouTube, this is unusable. Once the video begins to play, I cannot pause or rewind, and if I exit while the movie is running, it crashes the phone. Utter crap. I'll wait till apple updates it's native app, all it realy needs are search options and playlist options...

For that you'll need the patience of Job (or should that be - the patience of Jobs :D). Then again, high-performing web-based applications are a serious threat to the money churning walled-garden app store - particularly for those apps that require Internet connectivity. In theory Apple should be pushing faster and better app store apps to counter this, but they're just as likely to block web apps that may conflict with their native apps. What a mess of a strategy...

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
Dude, I'm 16. I just want basic privacy, unlike most people these days as it would seem :rolleyes:

So what if google has all that info. what exactly do u think they're planning on doing with it other than trying to target u with ads??

lol paranoid 16yos who think they're important

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
So what if google has all that info. what exactly do u think they're planning on doing with it other than trying to target u with ads??

lol paranoid 16yos who think they're important

Who knows? Like I said, they have a deal with the NSA. You think the NSA wouldn't want access to that information? And if a dodgy third party paid them, I'm sure they'd hand it over.

All of Google's services - the phones, the browser, the TV system, everything - it's all open source and free software so it's adapted as widely as possible, so they can harvest as much data from as many aspects of everyone's lives as possible. Why else would Android exist? Google dosen't profit from it, it's open source. It must be in the data collection.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yeah I never use the app, I just go on the mobile site. I love the iPad mobile site, and this new iPhone one looks great too!

Excuse me, how can I reach the iPad mobile site ?
With the iPhone, the site makes a link, but what about an iPad version ? Thanks

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
Who knows? Like I said, they have a deal with the NSA. You think the NSA wouldn't want access to that information? And if a dodgy third party paid them, I'm sure they'd hand it over.

All of Google's services - the phones, the browser, the TV system, everything - it's all open source and free software so it's adapted as widely as possible, so they can harvest as much data from as many aspects of everyone's lives as possible. Why else would Android exist? Google dosen't profit from it, it's open source. It must be in the data collection.

Dude, it's great that you're 16 and all, but you need to spend more time out with chicks and not get confused about how multinational conglomerates operate. It's not cowboys and indians or black and white or Cheech and Chong or Allies and Nazis. It's commerce. Apple will data mine you just as much as Google will. Trust me on this. When you've finished your marketing degree you'll see :cool:.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
<rant>
This is going to sound...well, silly, but why is everyone That much MORE condescending lately? telling 0dev to hang out with more chicks assumes so much. so much. 0dev's gender, the gender of 0dev's interest, that 0dev is NOT hanging out with the gender of 0dev's interest. never mind the question of what anyone posting here has a right to say about how 0dev's choice to post here says about 0dev's social life.

just disagree without making silly assumptions that lead to silly statements.

</rant>

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
<rant>
This is going to sound...well, silly, but why is everyone That much MORE condescending lately? telling 0dev to hang out with more chicks assumes so much. so much. 0dev's gender, the gender of 0dev's interest, that 0dev is NOT hanging out with the gender of 0dev's interest. never mind the question of what anyone posting here has a right to say about how 0dev's choice to post here says about 0dev's social life.

just disagree without making silly assumptions that lead to silly statements.

</rant>

Thank you!

Honestly, I think all this iPhone 4 signal stuff has drawn the trolls to the forum.

My signal problems bring all the trolls to the yard, and they're like "we're internet hard!" :rolleyes:

NeshyD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
:d

I'm loving the new YouTube mobile site!

I especially like the HTML video feature where you can pinch the screen while you're in the video and it will exit it. Very subtle, but cool :cool:

Neshy

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
I find it rather ironic that Apple restricts development of apps because they want to be in control and up to date with the user experience when the Youtube app is controlled by them and out of date.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
I prefer the native app, i hate coming back to safari to see the youtube "app" in my face and i hate to wait for the page to refresh.

Also, being jailbroken, i have youRtube installed and i can download videos from the native app.

I want to know why Google want us to use their interface instead of Apple's app...more traffic?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I prefer the native app, i hate coming back to safari to see the youtube "app" in my face and i hate to wait for the page to refresh.

Also, being jailbroken, i have youRtube installed and i can download videos from the native app.

I want to know why Google want us to use their interface instead of Apple's app...more traffic?

Part of the Google vs. Apple war I'd assume.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Dude, it's great that you're 16 and all, but you need to spend more time out with chicks and not get confused about how multinational conglomerates operate. It's not cowboys and indians or black and white or Cheech and Chong or Allies and Nazis. It's commerce. Apple will data mine you just as much as Google will. Trust me on this. When you've finished your marketing degree you'll see :cool:.

No, I don't trust you on this, and I'm not 16 (actually I would like to be 16, since I'm approaching 40 ;) ).
Apple IS NOT Google, and while they both are company in the business of making money, in its recent past google demonstrated to have no problem at all in mining user data, because actually it is their primary business.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
No, I don't trust you on this, and I'm not 16 (actually I would like to be 16, since I'm approaching 40 ;) ).
Apple IS NOT Google, and while they both are company in the business of making money, in its recent past google demonstrated to have no problem at all in mining user data, because actually it is their primary business.

Exactly. Their advertising business makes up 99% of their revenue, vs. Apple who makes most of it's money from hardware sales.

And BTW, I resent people making assumptions about me based on a single number, when in reality I'm actually more mature than many adults.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.