Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today extended its testing period for the iPhone's picture-in-picture feature by an additional two weeks.

YouTube-Picture-in-Picture-Feature.jpg

YouTube Premium subscribers now have access to picture-in-picture mode on iOS as an "experimental feature" until February 14, according to YouTube. The feature was originally set to be available until January 31, but the date has been pushed forward several times.

Picture-in-picture mode is available on iPhones running iOS 14 and later, and it allows videos to be watched while using other apps. When watching a video, users can tap the picture-in-picture button with two boxes and an arrow to move the video to a smaller window that floats over the Home Screen or other apps.

In a statement shared with MacRumors in June 2021, a Google spokesperson said YouTube planned to launch picture-in-picture for all iOS users in the United States, but no timeframe was provided for the rollout. We've reached out to Google for an update on the matter and we'll update this story if we receive any new information.

In the meantime, picture-in-picture on iOS remains exclusive to YouTube Premium subscribers. Priced at $11.99 per month in the U.S., YouTube Premium features ad-free videos, the ability to download videos, video playback when a device's screen is locked, and more.

Update: In a statement shared with MacRumors today, Google said it is "still planning to launch PiP for all users without a YouTube Premium subscription in the US," but it has no further updates to provide at this time.
We're still planning to launch PiP for all users without a YouTube Premium subscription in the US. We have no other updates to share at this time. In the meantime, we've also extended our experiment of PiP on youtube.com/new for our Premium users on iOS as we continue to test and improve the experience before launch.
(Thanks, IceCool Tech!)

Article Link: YouTube Still Testing Picture-in-Picture on iOS With Premium Subscribers [Updated]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LeadingHeat

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
Just give it to everyone. Sheesh, it is downright silly to gate this of all things. And a few months ago I did a Premium trial and was unsurprisingly disappointed to find out you couldn't even do PIP on my iPad Pro with Premium at the time – all the documentation was just for iOS for a reason. Absolutely nonsense – it's 100% about the ad consumption experience.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Just give it to everyone. Sheesh, it is downright silly to gate this of all things. And a few months ago I did a Premium trial and was unsurprisingly disappointed to find out you couldn't even do PIP on my iPad Pro with Premium at the time – all the documentation was just for iOS for a reason. Absolutely nonsense – it's 100% about the ad consumption experience.
PiP's been working on my iPad Pro for months.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
And yet, paying subscribers (me) don’t have PiP anymore. Fix it Google.

Edit: intermittent problem.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
And yet, paying subscribers (me) don’t have PiP anymore. Fix it Google.
don’t pay if they are still not giving you what you demanded, many sideloader custom youtube apps had the features you demanded for free

dreamerstree

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2021
Strangely enough, I am not a YouTube premium subscriber, but this feature is working on my iPhone 11. It doesn't do it consistently, but I have definitely had it do it many times over the last few weeks.

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I've had it enabled since summer and I was surprised at how little I actually utilized it on iPhone. It's useful on iPad though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.