Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I had YT Red for four years until Jan 18 and the things I've missed most are ad-free viewing and background play. The lack of background play by default is absurd. I can understand ads, pay for the content you enjoy... but I'd pay for YT again if they had the ability to disable video for background audio use only, like a podcast while I'm working.

Taking a look at vinegar after other reading other comments...

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have had YouTube Premium since the membership was first available (because I absolutely had Ads) and I have never been able to get it to work on my iPad Pro. New iPad and re-installing the application has not made it work. This is very frustrating.

LasersGoPewPew

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2014
PDX
I have YouTube TV and continue to be surprised there's no PIP option for that $65 service.

Good point.

This is what I would like to see for YouTube TV. First off let me say, YouTube TV is one of the best things that ever happened in terms of ‘cutting the cable’. It’s pure bliss being able to stream from any TV in my house, iPad or anywhere on the go. [With the exception of the same repetitive-useless annoying ads, I have no complaints.]

But the picture-in-picture would be something I would use with YouTube TV, specifically while looking at other programs, etc. having my current program minimized above during an ad break.
I have PiP on YouTube TV across all my iOS devices

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have had YouTube Premium since the membership was first available (because I absolutely had Ads) and I have never been able to get it to work on my iPad Pro. New iPad and re-installing the application has not made it work. This is very frustrating.
I submitted a feedback ticket on this. Unfortunately, they don’t respond the way Apple does, but I experienced the same thing.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Lol I use 1Blocker with the extension that blocks YT ads in Safari plus I get PiP. Google can go stick it. Last I remember, didn’t Apple say that Google can’t charge for core iOS features?

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Apple's already done the testing a few years back, the SDK was written by them.
Don't know what the hell Google's testing here...
How to get you to pay for it while convincing you it’s the only logical option and they’re doing you a favor.

• Haha
Reactions: PsykX

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
They shouldn't be ALLOWED to gate it. PiP is a Video Player feature, built into the OS. It should not be optional to any app that has a single video player UI.

Zance

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
Listen, if the roles were reversed, I imagine Apple would do something similar. But in this situation, this is a particularly dumb reasoning for delaying it because the PiP feature worked perfectly fine when PiP was released on iOS. It worked for like a week or something before Google took away the ability to use it. So to say it still needs testing is ****ing absurd.

Flint456

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2019
Planet Earth
You have to enable the feature.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Why would YouTube pull this feature from iOS?? I use it every day. That would be so freaking annoying if it just stopped working after the next update. *facepalm*

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You have to enable the feature.
Where is it? I couldn't find anything online any articles that mention a feature toggle. Only that "reinstalling the App can help"

Edit: I looked everywhere on two iPads and I am not seeing any setting for this. Background play yes, PIP no.

Last edited:
Reactions: TroyJam

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
As a paying user I use it seldom, but if it were not available anymore I will get very angry for those times I want to use it!.
I don’t pay Disney, but I pay YouTube for MY time (no ads, no interruptions, it is WHOLE different experience). And I am worth it. I watch it more than HBO max.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I am assuming pip only works for premium subscribers for certain content and not for regular users.
Right now I am doing pip using Safari with YouTube without any subscription or account. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 005F0DEB-3851-44E8-A081-B2A9F6F2643C.png
    005F0DEB-3851-44E8-A081-B2A9F6F2643C.png
    1 MB · Views: 55

paulovsouza

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2012
I don’t understand they had it when pip launched, then disabled the feature. What’s there to test? Ads still run with that’s what they’re worried about. And honestly I’ve used YouTube less because I’m stuck on the app, and can’t use pip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.