Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Get Vinegar, it will force YouTube to use the built in media player....which of course supports PiP just fine
Sounds great, but I cant seem to find a iOS version, only for Mac OS -> Safari.
Edit: my bad, i found it.

I dont use the YouTube app on iOS, because of ads. I watch through Safari, which blocks ads with a adblocker. And through there, I acutally managed to get YouTube to play in the background, it's just audio no video. The way it works (but not always):

1. While watching a video, swipe up to go to the homescreen. YouTube will stop playing.
2. Lock your iPhone.
3. Tap the screen, the onscreen player should display the video. Tap to play it.
4. Unlock iPhone to go to the homescreen. The audio of the video should still be playing (yay).
5. You can do everything while the audio is in the background. But if you reopen Safari, it'll go to YouTube and you'll need to repeat the proces.
6. BUT: if you also need Safari: while the audio is playing on the homescreen, press and hold on Safari -> open a new tab. This will 'hide' the active YouTube tab and its audio wil continue to play while you browse. :D

All in all, this method is nice if you're listening to a podcast or something and dont need to watch. It even works after you lock your iPhone. I do think this is a bug in iOS 15.2, because the (Music) player also sometimes shows up, even though the Music app isn't open. That's why the video player from YouTube appears on the homescreen (I think), but not always as I said. It's a bit random.

Though I'd share, somebody might find it useful.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
They have been playing this game for too long, give and take away. PiP has worked on Android for years with this feature and works fine on iOS now. I personally will be cancelling my Premium membership if they take this away again and reported it in my feedback to them as well (not like it will matter).

pmm1221

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I also have PiP working on my iPhone 13 Pro. I do not currently have YouTube Premium, but did have a free trial at one point. Has been working consistently for at least the last few days.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I use Premium chiefly because I consume a fair amount of YouTube content on the Apple TV, and I never got around to setting up an ad-blocker at the router level.

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
Not sure if it started after I got my iPhone 13 last month, but I have this feature (though a smaller window than the image in the article. Screenshot attached) and I don’t have premium. I just assumed everyone had it so I didn’t make a mental note of when it started.

Attachments

• 930638CC-437E-4AFB-A90B-136857CF6ECF.jpeg
    930638CC-437E-4AFB-A90B-136857CF6ECF.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 39

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just give it to everyone. Sheesh, it is downright silly to gate this of all things. And a few months ago I did a Premium trial and was unsurprisingly disappointed to find out you couldn't even do PIP on my iPad Pro with Premium at the time – all the documentation was just for iOS for a reason. Absolutely nonsense – it's 100% about the ad consumption experience.
I’m literally using it in my iPad Pro right now and have been since the feature rolled out to my device within days of testing beginning.

Attachments

• F3FD5485-535B-43C2-9A02-28607FA11E7F.png
    F3FD5485-535B-43C2-9A02-28607FA11E7F.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Google said it is "still planning to launch PiP for all users without a YouTube Premium subscription in the US".

What about people outside of the US, with YouTube being a global service and all?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I’m literally using it in my iPad Pro right now and have been since the feature rolled out to my device within days of testing beginning.
It doesn’t work for all. I have no setting on both iPad Pros, new fresh iPad and an older one. Reinstalling the app doesn’t help. It’s ridiculous to gatekeeper this feature to premium members when they can’t even enable it for all premium members.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Google said it is "still planning to launch PiP for all users without a YouTube Premium subscription in the US".

What about people outside of the US, with YouTube being a global service and all?
Looking after their own

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
In Germany, this feature is only available for premium subscribers. But the quality of the videos is lacking due to the pandemic, YouTube recommends always the same videos I‘ve already seen and the app is getting worse and worse. Now, I have to disable subtitles on my AppleTV every freaking time!!! And on all other devices as well, even tough the default is disabled.

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
I use YouTube only in Safari on iPhone. Get PiPifier from the AppStore and you PiP for Youtube. Put 1Blocker on top of that and enjoy YouTube adfree as well.

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
As a premium subscriber I hope they keep it for premium only. Along with offline downloads and background play, it keeps the subscription as great value.
you could stop your subscription as well. I use Youtube and get adfree, background play and PiP for free. You get scammed.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
A little crazy that on my 2012 MacBook Pro, I can do PIP with Safari in YouTube.

But, somehow in 2022, this is turning into a paid-feature on iOS.

Sounds like we're going backwards
You can still do it for free from safari on iOS. It’s only the native app that charges for it. Why? Who know. Google gonna google.

bparzonz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I’m not sure how it works, but I can get Pip to work inconsistently in safari on my iPhone13

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
To each their own opinion, but an app developer impairing an iOS user's experience by gatekeeping a core OS feature behind a subscription seems like something Apple would be interested in going after.
Don‘t think they can challenge this. PiP might be a „core iOS feature“ but YouTube providing the functionality is not free for them, it costs bandwidth.

There was a case a few years ago where a famous app (I think it was Apollo Reddit?) got into trouble for gatekeeping notifications behind in-app purchases. That was later settled when they argued that push notifications cost them money (cause they were generated by their servers polling API endpoints). I think that started a turnaround where more and more apps could lock functionality if they couldn‘t provide them for free.

So yes, PiP could technically be locked to premium subscriptions because they can argue that it costs them bandwidth to stream the video to users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.