Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello, I am working on a "Hackintosh"… I bought a Mac Pro 1,1 and moved it to a 2,1 and maxed out the ram and processor. Now I need to get a 3gb card working in it.

Based on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-1-1-10-9-2-tiamo-graphic-card-suggestions.1712192/
…I want to use the ATI Radeon HD 7950.

However, I can't seem to find anything to flash the card with.

I've read most of these two threads (but they are old):
- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-golden-guide-to-flashing-graphic-cards.877441/
- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/release-zeus-flashing-tool.877437/

It seems that Zeus has been discontinued and I can't seem to find a copy… are there any modern options or is there a way to still download Zeus from a different place? Any help with this would be most appreciated.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
However, I can't seem to find anything to flash the card with.
Your only option is Windows or FreeDOS and ATIflash.
Zeus is no longer supported and last app that flashed cards was netkas' 6000 series app.

P.S. You can also run it unflashed, for now, with no difference in performance.

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Zeus is no longer supported and last app that flashed cards was netkas' 6000 series app.

Awesome! I will look into that and probably just buy the card so I can get started with it.

Thanks!
~jc.farley

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
So, given the age of my Mac and the fact that Zeus was designed to handle the Radeon HD 7950, I decided to use Zeus…however, I ended up with an AMD Radeon HD 7950, instead of an ATI….is there any real firmware difference and can I still use Zeus to flash it? …Zeus shows ATI Radeon & NVIDIA, but I saw AMD mentioned along side of ATI on this TechPowerup post: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So, given the age of my Mac and the fact that Zeus was designed to handle the Radeon HD 7950, I decided to use Zeus…however, I ended up with an AMD Radeon HD 7950, instead of an ATI….is there any real firmware difference and can I still use Zeus to flash it? …Zeus shows ATI Radeon & NVIDIA, but I saw AMD mentioned along side of ATI on this TechPowerup post: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

Impossible, ZEUS was release in 2011 (latest version), and 7950 was released in 2012. How can ZEUS was designed to support 7950?

AFAIK, AMD acquired ATI back in 2006. All 7950 are AMD 7950. There is no ATI (but not AMD) 7950 exist on the world.

Anyway, it simply tell you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. I suggest you slow down, study a bit more, before you try to flash the card.

All you need is just FreeDOS and ATIFlash to flash the 7950. If you have Windows, ATIWinFlash will be even easier.

Reactions: Fl0r!an

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Impossible, ZEUS was release in 2011 (latest version), and 7950 was released in 2012. How can ZEUS was designed to support 7950?

AFAIK, AMD acquired ATI back in 2006. All 7950 are AMD 7950. There is no ATI (but not AMD) 7950 exist on the world.

Anyway, it simply tell you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. I suggest you slow down, study a bit more, before you try to flash the card.

All you need is just FreeDOS and ATIFlash to flash the 7950. If you have Windows, ATIWinFlash will be even easier.

Thanks h9826790! Yeah, I don't pretend to know what I am doing, hahaha! That's why I'm on here! So, I downloaded the MAC7950.rom from another source and want to load that into Zeus to do the flash… I don't have a Windows tower, so that is why using Zeus seems ideal.

The only options I am seeing on Zeus under Flash ATI is the OSX (which I am running Lion and Lion is listed in the Zeus drop down) and the option to load in MAC7950.rom from my computer. If I am pulling the ROM from an outside source and my OS is listed in the program, does it really matter that Zeus itself is a little older?

I just need Zeus to flash it, not really relying on it to have the right firmware.

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
[doublepost=1488069408][/doublepost]

I plugged the card in and tried to start it, but the screens didn't come on…I had one runny via DVI and the other via HDMI. The card is showing up though… Any suggestions?

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
As a new Mac user, I don't know how to load Windows onto mac…I don't want to install to a partition…usually, I could use Hiren's Boot Disk to run a pseudo Windows environment, but from what I understand, that will not run on Mac

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
[doublepost=1488069408][/doublepost]

I plugged the card in and tried to start it, but the screens didn't come on…I had one runny via DVI and the other via HDMI. The card is showing up though… Any suggestions?

There is a minimum OSX version requirement for 7950. Lion may not meet the requirement (which means no driver for 7950. For 7950, I highly recommend you install at least Mavericks.

Reactions: owbp

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Where is the card showing up if the screen didn't come on? Are you using 7300GT with it?

AFAIK, the HD790 doesn't work in Mac if:
- OS X is below 10.7.5 or 10.7.5-10.8.3 without Sapphire drivers (cMP1,1-2,1 cannot run 7950 drivers in 10.7.5 since they're 64bit and you cannot run 64bit Lion on 1,1/2,1. You can install drivers if you're running Mountain Lion 10.8-10.8.3 with Tiamo boot.efi)
- you didn't connect power to the card
- you have some XFX cards

As a new Mac user, I don't know how to load Windows onto mac…I don't want to install to a partition…usually, I could use Hiren's Boot Disk to run a pseudo Windows environment, but from what I understand, that will not run on Mac
To install Windows through Bootcamp on 1,1/2,1 you'll need to run .iso through few steps described in link below.

http://sergiomcfly.blogspot.rs/2008/04/select-cd-rom-boot-type-when-installing.html?m=1

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Using a flash tool which isn't made for your GPU is not a good idea. atiflash and nvflash usually receive updates when new GPUs come out as older versions are not able to flash them properly.
I guess Zeus will either refuse to flash or brick your GPU.

This is the guide to flash HD 7xxx GPUs: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html

Build a custom ROM as described in the 1st post and flash with atiflash from a FreeDOS CD (or atiwinflash form Windows).

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
There is a minimum OSX version requirement for 7950. Lion may not meet the requirement (which means no driver for 7950. For 7950, I highly recommend you install at least Mavericks.
I agree…I need to upgrade, but from what I have read, I need to update my GPU before upgrading the OS beyond 10.7.5.

Where is the card showing up if the screen didn't come on? Are you using 7300GT with it?

- OS X is below 10.7.5 or 10.7.5-10.8.3 without Sapphire drivers (cMP1,1-2,1 cannot run 7950 drivers in 10.7.5 since they're 64bit and you cannot run 64bit Lion on 1,1/2,1. You can install drivers if you're running Mountain Lion 10.8-10.8.3 with Tiamo boot.efi)

To install Windows through Bootcamp on 1,1/2,1 you'll need to run .iso through few steps described in link below.

http://sergiomcfly.blogspot.rs/2008/04/select-cd-rom-boot-type-when-installing.html?m=1

At first I just tried to run the new card by itself, then I added the 7300 in the second slot when the screens didn't come on. I am seeing the card in the System Report, but it is showing as "Display". The Expansion Slot Utility is showing that the card is operational.

Based on what you are telling me here, perhaps I shouldn't have gotten the 7950 Sapphire version…maybe that would make things at least run on my current OS. The upgrade I mentioned above in this post is referring to the Tiamo upgrade, which I believe maxes out at El Capitan.

I did connect both power cords and I am not running any XFX cards.

I am probably going to get another hard drive to put windows on for the flash. I don't want to partition the existing drive.

Using a flash tool which isn't made for your GPU is not a good idea. atiflash and nvflash usually receive updates when new GPUs come out as older versions are not able to flash them properly.
I guess Zeus will either refuse to flash or brick your GPU.

This is the guide to flash HD 7xxx GPUs: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html

Build a custom ROM as described in the 1st post and flash with atiflash from a FreeDOS CD (or atiwinflash form Windows).

Yes, I am moving past the novelty of flashing with Zeus. Unfortunate really, but I definitely don't want to destroy my card. I will probably use ATIWinFlash via a BootCamp installation.

Thanks Everyone!! :)

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand

there will not be any boot screen.
if you have installed th card correctly and likely needs x2 power cables, then the boot will take a few minutes.
I have a radeon 5770 which is not flashed and although i have zeus as well, will not use to because the only difference between flashed/non flashed is the boot screen. no other differences.
But you will not be able to change the boot disk by using opt and C keys because you cannot see any booting activity.
[doublepost=1488162611][/doublepost]

there is a 10.7.5 install drivers for the 7950 called "RADEON HD 7950 for Mac.pkg"
it is about 83MB. i do not have a link and too large to upload. just tried now.

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
So, if I have my wires correct….I should be able to follow this workflow and get a successfully flashed card…?

1. Add a 2nd hard drive
  2. Install Windows on 2nd hard drive, via BootCamp
  3. Switch to using only 7950 card
  4. Run Windows
  5. Flash w/ ATIWinFlash (shouldn't need FreeDos for this, right?)

---If card flash is successful---

6. Use 7300 to log into Mac again
  7. Install Tiamo upgrade
  8. Install El Capitan
  9. Switch back to the 7950 card
  10. Remove the Windows hard drive
    - Once I remove this, will it still try to boot Windows?
    - It may be a Hackintosh of sorts, but I don't want it to leave any remnants of Windows.
    …I would rather find a cheap Windows tower to do the flash
Am I missing anything?

Also, what are my options for downloading a more modern OS X, without going through the app store?

there will not be any boot screen.
if you have installed th card correctly and likely needs x2 power cables, then the boot will take a few minutes.
I have a radeon 5770 which is not flashed and although i have zeus as well, will not use to because the only difference between flashed/non flashed is the boot screen. no other differences.
But you will not be able to change the boot disk by using opt and C keys because you cannot see any booting activity.
[doublepost=1488162611][/doublepost]

there is a 10.7.5 install drivers for the 7950 called "RADEON HD 7950 for Mac.pkg"

Andrew, really not finding that one via Google search…remnants of it, but no good downloads.
[doublepost=1488164837][/doublepost]

Last edited:

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
easy download 7950 drivers here linked 10.7.5
http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p1...ashing_Service_Only,_Informational_Page).html

forget flashing. it is not necessary only cosmetic.

Cosmetic how? Ultimately, I want the boot EFI running. Regardless of whether I flash or not, I wouldn't mind getting the card working in 10.7.5 prior to flashing. I'll look into the link. Thanks!

Also, is this for Sapphire? I don't see that listed and I am not sure if there is a difference.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I agree…I need to upgrade, but from what I have read, I need to update my GPU before upgrading the OS beyond 10.7.5.
No, the 7300GT will give you boot screen and OS screen but without QE/CI. Sou you will be able to do all your work, but it will be laggy as hell. On the other side, HD7950 will give you nothing, as you already know, in OS below 10.8.4.
Based on what you are telling me here, perhaps I shouldn't have gotten the 7950 Sapphire version…maybe that would make things at least run on my current OS.
Most HD7950's are ok. Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte, HIS, etc. But XFX only has serious problems even booting into OS X.
The upgrade I mentioned above in this post is referring to the Tiamo upgrade, which I believe maxes out at El Capitan.
Tiamo's original boot file is for Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Pike R Alpha the took over and compiled it for Yousemite and El Capitan.
You really don't want to suggest him drivers for HD7950 because it will only lead to kernel panic at boot on 1,1/2,1.
So not only that he will gain nothing but he won't be able to boot into Lion anymore without removing them first.

Reactions: jc.farley

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
So, if I have my wires correct….I should be able to follow this workflow and get a successfully flashed card…?

1. Add a 2nd hard drive
  2. Install Windows on 2nd hard drive, via BootCamp
  3. Switch to using only 7950 card
  4. Run Windows
  5. Flash w/ ATIWinFlash (shouldn't need FreeDos for this, right?)

---If card flash is successful---

6. Use 7300 to log into Mac again
  7. Install Tiamo upgrade
  8. Install El Capitan
  9. Switch back to the 7950 card
  10. Remove the Windows hard drive
    - Once I remove this, will it still try to boot Windows?
    - It may be a Hackintosh of sorts, but I don't want it to leave any remnants of Windows.
    …I would rather find a cheap Windows tower to do the flash
Am I missing anything?

Also, what are my options for downloading a more modern OS X, without going through the app store?
[doublepost=1488164837][/doublepost]
Without the app store your only options are torrents or good will of users here. ;)

If you flash HD7950 in Win you will be able to boot into Lion with it (again without QE/CI) because EFI part of your GPU will give you screen output to finish installing OS X (i've booted into Tiger with HD7950 after adding EFI to its ROM).

For Mavericks and Mountain Lion look here, and you will use Tiamo's original boot.efi for that.
For Yosemite and El Capitan i see that you already found threads.

You can safely install Windwos through Bootcamp on the same drive that you have OS X on, if you do not touch any disk management options from Windows after that. But it is easier to do the whole thing on the separate drive.
I hope that this will help you if you get into any trouble.

Reactions: jc.farley

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
So, I definitely have a problem...I bought a second drive and tried to install Windows 10 (32bit). I am getting a screen that says:

"Select CD-ROM Boot Type"

Whatever version of BootCamp I have, wouldn't allow me to pull the .iso file from a folder and load it, it needed the CD. So, I burned a CD and tried it that way.

Everything I see for this shows that this happens when trying to add a 64 bit WindowsOS.

Also, the version of BootCamp I have said something about adding Vista to the drive, when I first opened BootCamp up.

Any advice for this? ...and any way to get back into MacOS?

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I am getting a screen that says:

"Select CD-ROM Boot Type"
That's why i left you a link with the solution to that issue. It always worked for me, but you have to do it in Windows.
No matter if it was 32 or 64 bit Windows (but there is no reason to go for the 32 bit one) i always got that message on 1,1. If you get around it without sergios' walkthrough be sure to let us know.
...and any way to get back into MacOS?
Be sure to have your OS X HDD in 1st SATA slot and reset PRAM (hold cmd+alt+P+R on boot).

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Okay, Mac is back up! That makes me feel less like a kid who lost his balloon! :D

Now for the other...I'll dig into that link! Thanks for the help!

jc.farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
That's why i left you a link with the solution to that issue. It always worked for me, but you have to do it in Windows.
No matter if it was 32 or 64 bit Windows (but there is no reason to go for the 32 bit one) i always got that message on 1,1. If you get around it without sergios' walkthrough be sure to let us know.

Okay, so I did get a new boot disk made via the method you suggested. For others having this issue, I managed to find a video to visually guide me through this process:

(although, the guy in the video downloaded the files from somewhere else).

When it came to getting windows to actually install, I really had a lot of disk formatting issues. I tried to hit shift+f10 and clean the drive, reformat, etc. I also tried removing all unnecessary USB drives and anything else that was connected. Ultimately, what worked was removing the primary HDD (MacOS).

So, once this finishes setting up, then it is time to flash the card...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.