Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FBDiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Pacific NW, USA
I have a Buffalo Networks NAS on my home network, and I'm connected to it on my mac (with OSx 10.5) sending files back and forth no problem. But when I go to turn Time Machine on and configure it, the dialog for selecting a destination drive is empty and I don't see any way to browse for a network drive.

Am I missing something?

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
There's a thread around here somewhere with a script that you can run from Terminal that lets Time Machine use an unsupported volume. I used it for my SimpleShare and it now backs up there.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
There's a thread around here somewhere with a script that you can run from Terminal that lets Time Machine use an unsupported volume. I used it for my SimpleShare and it now backs up there.

Probably this post:
Mindflux said:
everyone, this worked wonders for me and is easier than the rest of the solutions imho

Run this from terminal and load up time machine to select your drive! You don't need to hook the drive up to the Mac first, you dont have to go chowning files and all that nonsense.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

It even got dugg.

FBDiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Pacific NW, USA
Great! I'll give it a try tonight.

I went to the support site at Apple and they don't even mention NAS's in the What kind of Drives can Time Machine backup to. I submitted a question/feedback on the support site.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Do a search on the ReadyNAS threads. It talks about how to create the sparsebundle and set the drive up. Works well after that though.

FBDiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Pacific NW, USA
everyone, this worked wonders for me and is easier than the rest of the solutions imho

Run this from terminal and load up time machine to select your drive! You don't need to hook the drive up to the Mac first, you dont have to go chowning files and all that nonsense.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Worked perfectly! :D

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Anyone know how to read from that backup now? I was able to write to the volume and create a sparse bundle, but suffered a hard drive failure and now I need to mount it and retrieve a file. Is there a script for that?

FBDiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Pacific NW, USA
I've been having nothing but trouble with this setup. I quite using it until I hear more from Apple on the subject.

Sorry can't help.
:(

dvd

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Massachusetts
Anyone know how to read from that backup now? I was able to write to the volume and create a sparse bundle, but suffered a hard drive failure and now I need to mount it and retrieve a file. Is there a script for that?

Depends on how you are trying to get to the data. If you are trying to browse the backup from another Mac on your network, mount the host drive and then look for a file in the root directory called yourcomputername_yourMACaddress.sparsebundle. If you doubleclick this sparse disk image, it will mount and you can surf through it to retrieve individual files.

If you are trying to do a full restore back onto your mac after the hd failed, you use the Time Machine backup in concert with your Leopard Install Disk.

1) Boot the Leopard Install Disk
2) Select Terminal from Utilities
3) ping your NAS box to make sure you have connectivity
4) Create a mount point for your NAS box, i.e "mkdir /Volumes/nas"
5) Mount your backup drive manually
For AFP, use "mount_afp afp://username:password@NAS_IP_ADDRESS/NAS_volume_name /Volumes/nas"
Presumably if you use Samba, you could mount with mount_smbfs instead. I use AFP and the above syntax worked.
6) Make sure the sparsebundle file mentioned above is in the root directory: "ls /Volumes/nas"
7) Exit terminal, "exit"
8) Select "Restore from Backup disk" from the Utilities (?) menu and you should see your backup listed

Paraphrased from somewhere else on the net.. I used this process for a restore and it worked for me! Good luck!

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
I can't believe anyone would be so stupid as to use an undocumented, unsupported, intentionally-disabled feature to handle their backups.

Apple removed the network backup functionality for a reason, folks. They didn't want people to use it. Finding the hidden setting that enables it doesn't fix whatever bugs or problems caused them to take it out at the last minute.

dvd

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Massachusetts
I can't believe anyone would be so stupid as to use an undocumented, unsupported, intentionally-disabled feature to handle their backups.

Apple removed the network backup functionality for a reason, folks. They didn't want people to use it. Finding the hidden setting that enables it doesn't fix whatever bugs or problems caused them to take it out at the last minute.

Your point is valid but you could have made it without being disrespectful.

Speaking only for myself, I've weighed the risks of using this unsupported functionality. Without network backup capability, Time Machine is entirely worthless to me. With this enabled, it complements my backup strategy nicely, thank you. Your mileage may vary.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Your point is valid but you could have made it without being disrespectful.

Speaking only for myself, I've weighed the risks of using this unsupported functionality. Without network backup capability, Time Machine is entirely worthless to me. With this enabled, it complements my backup strategy nicely, thank you. Your mileage may vary.

Mine has been working flawlessly. That's what I bought the NAS for... It's certainly not my ideal solution, but it works and I'm covered until full support shows up...

silvarbullet1

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Apple are greedy?

You might consider Apple simply being incredibly greedy, and forcing people to buy the Time Capsule as their only viable, fully-functioning NAS Time Machine solution?

I'm just annoyed that I bought a 500Gb NAS and now it's pretty much useless, as all I wanted to use it for was Time Machine. Guess it's just gonna gather dust until such time I need a NAS to share files rather than just back them up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.