Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetLaw

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2009
Check out the hideous color picker!
Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 2.23.42 PM.png

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
This is the desktop photo I use with Dark Mode in Yosemite. Looks absolutely fantastic...

Attachments

• dusk-mountains-2560x1440-images-hd-.jpg
    dusk-mountains-2560x1440-images-hd-.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 866

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
The dashboard background is now a blurred version of the desktop wallpaper (see attached screenshot)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 11.27.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 11.27.24 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 193

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
it really should have an option to disable the dashboard

I didn't know anyone even developed new widgets for dashboard. I think it could still serve a great purpose if people actually brought out updated widgets,

A more intuitive stock widget,
Updated eBay widget

wido

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Germany
Safari has been massively sped up on javascript heavy sites. Facebook searches with many results, which load content on the fly (endless scrolling), are much smoother to scroll through.

A very welcome change. :cool:

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Oh that new battery icon makes me happy. I was PISSED when I saw Apple made it green while charging, like in iOS. I've already had my hissy fits against Dropbox and other apps that tried to put color icons in the menu bar. (Yes, I know Dropbox is better now.) It was quite an "Et tu, Apple?" moment for me.

And I'm going to assume the only thing Dark Mode does is make the dock and menu white on black. AKA no windows and stuff now white on black. Does anyone know if that's going to change? I really liked the idea of darker window elements. :c

Added:
Check out the hideous color picker!
View attachment 486134
When are they going to get rid of that? I'm tired of praying that my Mac hater friends never find out that OS X has crayons in it.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Is "flatter" considered to be "more modern," or is "more modern" flatter?

Inquiring minds demand to know.

If Jony Ive had his way there would be no user elements at all because to have something on the screen is ugly to people like him.

Some things are getting lighter, thinner, smaller and this is terrible for people with any eyesight issues. Apple is going to get a lot of complaints. Look at the forward and back "buttons" on iOS 7 and 10.10 Safari.. thin as a human hair and a lower contrast. Terrible.

If you increase the size of the system-wide font it destroys all rendering of a web page - things overlap! Gee thanks, I can see better now. In other words, we are stuck with type sizes that are smaller than the rest of the publishing industry uses because it "looks better." "But I can't see it!?" Who cares, it's prettier this way.

Last edited:

jordanst

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Canada
And I'm going to assume the only thing Dark Mode does is make the dock and menu white on black. AKA no windows and stuff now white on black. Does anyone know if that's going to change? I really liked the idea of darker window elements. :c

Correct. Now instead of dark mode its a checkbox that just says: Use dark menu bar and dock

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Oh that new battery icon makes me happy. I was PISSED when I saw Apple made it green while charging, like in iOS. I've already had my hissy fits against Dropbox and other apps that tried to put color icons in the menu bar. (Yes, I know Dropbox is better now.) It was quite an "Et tu, Apple?" moment for me.

Added:
When are they going to get rid of that? I'm tired of praying that my Mac hater friends never find out that OS X has crayons in it.

I know what you mean. One of the reasons I dislike using Parallels Desktop since it chucks that red pause icon onto the menu bar.

akicreative

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
File Choose Dialog

In Beta 5 and earlier, if you opened a choose or upload dialogue box (like in Safari) and you dragged a file over from an open Finder window it would MOVE the file to the folder that was currently showing. They have fixed this (as it was in previous versions of OS X) so that it correctly just opens the folder where the file resides so you can easily choose the file for uploading or selecting.

Clear as mud?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The animations are running A LOT smoother on my 15" Retina.

I can confirm this. Resize performance has improved tremendously (e.g. Safari can now resize The Verge and Facebook without any perceivable lag on my side) — same for scrolling. App Store, which has always been a showcase for the resize lag, still lags but its MUCH better now. Mission Control is much much faster than on Mavericks or DP5 — although there is still a small initial delay (and I really mean SMALL) when many windows are open, its a very noticeable improvement. And overall, the UI just feels more responsive. Spotlight launches pretty much instantly (used to have a short lag). I have no idea what they did (probably optimised the hell out of drivers+windows server and enabled really aggressive content caching), but it works.

Also, they have fixed a very nasty Safari bug (lack of autofocus in the new tab)

Very impressed by this update, a must have for rMBP owners. This should hopefully put the end to the 'hardware it too slow for the retina' nonsense (I have the HD4000).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.