Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I'm wondering about the quality, both for SD and HD.

I watched a few previews (Ratatouille, and some stupid Disney football movie with "the rock" in it), and they looked really soft. My DVD rips look much more crisp.

Are the previews lower quality than the actual rentals?

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007

I watched a few previews (Ratatouille, and some stupid Disney football movie with "the rock" in it), and they looked really soft. My DVD rips look much more crisp.

The previews are not necessarily indicative of the actual rental quality.

Kevin

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
downloading the Simpsons Movie as I type this. Two choices HD for 4.99 and something else for 3.99.

Setup has all the HiDef options up to 1080p. I picked that one but I'm not certain how the movie will play

downloaded and played
get excellent 5.1 sound and what looks like 1080p on the plasma tv. that could because of my settings. I'll experiment wed am

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
thought they said it would take a few minutes to download?

i have been downloading transformers for the past 15 minutes and am at 3 percent

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC

I saw this on the AVSForum:

just rented '300' HD DD5.1; Took about 40 seconds to get enough download to be 'ready to play' (I have a 6Gbps dsl connection);

watching now on 60" plasma; picture quality looks excellent to me... DD5.1 is definitely being passed out as my Meridian registers...

so far so good --- very cool....

ken

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13089927&postcount=3

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Just rented and watched Mr. Brooks. Took about a minute for it to say "Your movie is ready..." Watched it all the way through with zero hiccups. Quality was hard to differentiate from the DVD (I rented it in SD). Overall I am extremely pleased. Saved me a trip to the rental place, and considering it's 2 degrees right now, that's important to me.

statenine

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
only a few "new releases"

Does anybody know when they will add more newly released rentals? From all the studios they have backing them, I would think almost every new title imaginable would be available, but I was disappointed to see very few....

DarkMCS

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Rented Changing Lanes in HD...

Took about 1 minute to be able to watch it.

Quality is excellent and very close to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies I have.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Rented The Simpsons Movie in HD. Great quality and uber-quick start.... Maybe like 25 seconds from when I rented the movie started playing. Good experience so far!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Downloading first HD rental now.

It figures, of course, my internet connection would have issues today. Usually 2900. Last night dropped to 1600-2000, along with loss of voice. (They'll be out tomorrow....)

Anyway, it's taking (obviously) a lot longer to start the movie. I'm probably only getting 150-180KBps. At the rate it's downloading, I calculated it should have been able to start playing about 45 minutes into the download (around 38%). It's now 1:50 and still only 46%. So, unless the file's a lot larger than I'm estimating (several GB), my connection's further degraded, iTunes is getting slammed, or they are adding a very comfortable pad to the [essentially] buffered movie. I suspect my connection and padding in the size of the buffered portion of the movie. Hopefully, it'll get back to normal tomorrow.

Got side tracked while writing this - now 2:20, and 58%. Finally got the "ready to watch" message.

I hit Play (*cue clock ticking*). edit: forgot to mention the title is "Next", w/ Nicolas Cage

Dolby Digital decode indicator is lit and says "Dolby Digital 3/2 1" (Sony amp, through optical).

So far, quality looks fine. Very comparable to DirecTV 720 content (Fox, for instance). Output of :apple:tv is set to 1080i (usually better to have the source do upscaling), and I'm connected via component to 50" Panasonic Plasma (handles 1080i, but only 768px high. My testing w/ DTV & BluRay seem to give me a bit better picture if I input 1080i, and let TV handle it, so that's why I'm also running :apple:tv that way).

I'm sure there will be LOTS of other reviews of quality and d/l times in the next hours & days.

"Coincidentally", DirecTV rolled out their broadband VOD service. Don't know if it has any HD content - I'll have to check it out. But, if the demo of the interface is any indication, I won't be using it much - even for free (included with DTV subscription). To compare the DTV interface with :apple:tv is like comparing an AM radio with a high-end DD 7.1 system. I enjoy browsing titles on the :apple:tv. DTV doesn't even have artwork.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If you have a 720p set (768 pixels is the indicator), you would probably be better off using the 720p setting on the ATV. Right now with the 1080i setting, the ATV is converting the 720p iTunes HD video to 1080i and your set has to convert it back down to 720p in order to display the picture. With the ATV set to 720p, the set will be able to directly display the picture from the source with the conversion processing.

Still looks better. The set isn't 720 (px) - it's 768, so it actually has to slightly upscale 720p. 1080i content from DirecTV looks better than 720p content on this TV. I have the DirecTV DVR set to toggle output based on content, but the difference is barely noticeable - I let it do it, 'cause it can.

I also did tests from upscaling DVD player. The player (Sony) looks better at 1080i than it did at 720, even tho (obviously) its source was a DVD. Based on that, and the 1080 DTV tests, my Blu-Ray is also set to 1080i.

edit: (both Blu-Ray and DTV are connected through HDMI, btw, but I tested the :apple:tv output over component at both 720 & 1080 and 1080 was better.)

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
Does anybody know when they will add more newly released rentals? From all the studios they have backing them, I would think almost every new title imaginable would be available, but I was disappointed to see very few

my understanding is the rentals will be available approximately 10 days after the studio's dvd release

mikeymoves

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
NYC
Rented Transformers last night as a $4.99 test! It started to play in 20 seconds!!! I have a 30mbps connection through optonline. It looked and sounded great. I was amazed when the blue Dolby Digital light went on on my receiver!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.