Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101900-apple_tv_99.jpg

Barron's reports on a new research note from JMP Research analyst Alex Gauna, who has used evidence that regular shipments of the new Apple TV to Apple's retail stores around the United States are selling out almost as soon as they arrive to estimate that the device is selling at a rate of at least one million units per quarter.
Gauna believes Apple TV is selling at a pace at least one quarter to one third that of the iPad, or at least 1 million units a quarter. He says the $99 price point "is resonating with consumers."
Gauna's report relies on checks with over 20 Apple retail stores around the country, with anecdotal evidence from other customers supporting that observation.

With the new Apple TV having been available for only a week and shipping estimates in Apple's U.S. online store currently at 1-2 weeks, it is difficult to gauge true demand for the device beyond the initial surge and Apple's efforts to ramp up production to meet that demand. One million units per quarter would, however, appear to be a relatively significant improvement over the original Apple TV based on analyst estimates of that model's performance over the last several years. Apple does not provide data on Apple TV unit sales in its quarterly earnings release, so firm estimates of the device's performance since its 2007 introduction are not available.

Article Link: Early Apple TV Sales Estimated at 1 Million Per Quarter

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The Apple TV is finally gonna be a hit record!! It's no longer a hobby. Excellent.:)

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I haven't been able to buy one yet. For $100 it's a no brainer, to get Netflix on every TV, stream my itunes library (I put all my ripped stuff there) and imminent hacking for additional benefit.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

dwd3885 said:
The Apple TV sold well when it first came out 4 years ago as well.

Not nearly this well. The price is great, and it's so much more functional now with airplay and netflix.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It amazes me that apple can sell a second rate product so fast, so quickly, and with massive profits! Gotta hand it to apple, they got "it":D

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
I am waiting for Google TV before I buy one or the other. I am hoping that the Google TV will be all that and more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that proves me wrong. I really didn't think apple-tv was going to be hit, for lots of reasons.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
I have practically no use for an AppleTV but I'm still thinking of getting one. Shows what a great price point $99 is.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Uh $99...makes a difference. Its gonna be a good Xmax present. And when apple allows apps on it...its gonna probably be the best selling IOS device in apples history.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I am waiting for Google TV before I buy one or the other. I am hoping that the Google TV will be all that and more.

GoogleTv is gonna be awesome...but it is gonna be expensive at $300. $300 will get you a great gaming console...PS3 or Xbox 360. All apple has to do is allow apps and keep the $99 price point and googleTV will get no traction.
But googleTv does look good...its just 3 times more expensive as AppleTV.

oahazmatt

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I haven't been able to buy one yet. For $100 it's a no brainer, to get Netflix on every TV, stream my itunes library (I put all my ripped stuff there) and imminent hacking for additional benefit.

I lucked out. I had a pre-order scheduled to arrive on Oct. 18th. Last week I received an e-mail from Apple saying the new Apple TV has been released. That day I took a detour on the way home to stop by the Apple Store. They had one left. I bought it and canceled my pre-order right there.

The wife and I love it. We've tried streaming from iTunes and renting direct through the box. The only problem I noticed when watching an HD movie from iTunes was some color banding on the night sky, but I've had that regardless of which device I use to stream. I didn't see anything on the rental.

My major complaint is the remote. I don't like the remote app. Sometimes I swipe too fast or too slow and completely miss the option I'm going for. With my wife's Mac in the room, the hardware remote starts controlling both of them.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Ill be getting an apple tv for christmas.

99 bucks, Netflix, iTunes and soon an app store? ;)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Great! Hope they triple in sales. The more success they have with this product, the more effort they'll put into it. I just got one last week and it, BY FAR, has to be my favorite :apple: toy. (sorry, iPhone!) And when the app stores arrives to this device, I've no doubt its popularity will soar to new heights. Safari on this might also be a good idea.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

I agree. At 99 there's not much risk but if google fits better for what I need then there's no sense having an apple tv to collect dust. Maybe after the app store gets rolling and I can JB it might be more appealing. As t stand now I haven't rented a movie in years, don't see that changing

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
$99, ease of use, and brand recognition.

Sure there are cheaper set top boxes out there with more features, but most people haven't heard of them and the features are necessarily as well implemented. At $99 I fully expect Apple to sell a lot of them, once apps show up, sales will probably skyrocket.

I hear the Logitech Google TV box will $300. If that's the case I doubt it will sell well, despite its compelling features.

Greg McBride

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
It amazes me that apple can sell a second rate product so fast, so quickly, and with massive profits! Gotta hand it to apple, they got "it":D

It may be second rate to you, but for many people (myself included), it's fantastic. For $99, I can now easily stream my entire iTunes collection to my home theater system. I have over 4 TB of music and video on my main home computer, so a device with onboard storage was never practical for me. This makes it easy to have access to everything. And, the price point can't be beat. So, for me, it's not second rate. It's a perfect fit for my objectives.

oahazmatt

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
You can pair the remote with the device so that it only controls one.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555?viewlocale=en_US

Yeah, just decided to Google it and found that. I thought it must have been a problem Apple has come across, I just wish it's done during the configuration process. My wife doesn't really use her remote so I'll disable hers, but at least I can pair the Apple TV and my Mac to not interfere with each other.

Thanks!

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
Coooooooool....... build up the consumer base, then release the big guns with the App Store.

I'm hoping AppleTV sweeps the nation like the iPhone, can't wait to see the updates that come out of it.

:apple:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
My major complaint is the remote. I don't like the remote app. Sometimes I swipe too fast or too slow and completely miss the option I'm going for. With my wife's Mac in the room, the hardware remote starts controlling both of them.

Use your iPhone 4 instead then.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The new Apple TV has the best implementation of Netflix on any device by FAR. That alone is worth the $99 price. Not only is the interface done exceptionally well, but the movies start playing faster and the quality is better than Netflix on Roku and matches that of my PS3.

But the really nice thing is Netflix ALWAYS plays their HD content at its highest quality on the new Apple TV. On the PS3, the quality degrades every now and then when the connection isn't so good. I believe Apple worked with Netflix to buffer and cache the file to the 8GB onboard storage.

Put simply, this thing is amazing with Netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.