Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Important update for anyone considering this case. Casemate has emailed me saying there's a problem with the magnets causing the cover to put the iPad to sleep when its folded all the way back and flat. Avoid for now until they update this problem. They are offering full exchanges or refunds to those who want it.

After test driving it with the new iPad for a few hours, I thought I'd share my opinion of it and some pics.

Here's the official website: http://www.case-mate.com/The-new-iPad-Cases-iPad-3/Case-Mate-The-new-iPad-Textured-Tuxedo-Case.asp

Here's a good video review of the Tuxedo case for the iPad 2 to give you an idea of it in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heVqCXxeBZE

And finally, this coupon code will knock off 20%: CM10-AK20

My thoughts:

-I'm really impressed with it. It's thin and light. The "Magic Tape" (very Apple-ish of them to call it that) adhesive is very secure and simple to use. I've taken my iPad off once after attaching it, so it's definitely detachable with enough pull. And as promised by the website, it doesn't leave any sticky residue or marks on the back of the iPad. Re-stuck it back on no problem. There's a pic of me holding the case up by it's sleeve and letting the iPad hang; the adhesive is very strong. I can't imagine any instances where it'd "slide" or "tear" off.

-The magnets and links all work as they're supposed to (waking/sleeping, it's all there), and the "open-ness" of the edges gives full access to all the ports and buttons. I appreciate this especially for the speaker; it doesn't block sound at all. All the positions stand and hold up well.

-The best thing, though, has to be the fact that the iPad can just exist. There are no visible holsters or clips or clasps, which gives it a really clean and sleek look. That's what drew me to this case in the first place.

-My only concern is that this is obviously a very minimalistic design, so don't expect it to offer too much protection against big drops and whatnot. I also wish there was a "back magnet" when the flap is fully opened all the way, because sometimes when just holding it up, the flap hangs in the back (much like the Apple Smart Covers).

Well, check out the pics, and if anyone has questions, fire away.

017j7l.jpg

IEtkBl.jpg

I love how the iPad just exists without holsters or clasps:
H2fOjl.jpg

9hgHFl.jpg

Held it very confidently while trying to take the photo:
h31Ycl.jpg

Access to all ports, buttons. Doesn't obstruct speakers at all:
ZBoAil.jpg

xMmaul.jpg

TL;DR

-Lightweight and thin
-Comfortable in almost every position
-"Magic Tape" very secure and reliable
-Love that the iPad just "exists" without holsters/clips
-Very minimalistic, so don't expect protection from big drops

Would recommend if you're looking for minimalistic, light and sleek design.

Last edited:

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Love the case but wish there was corner protection in case it falls...any corner protection would do.

Very nice case tho

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
At $20-30 I'd be more interested, I would use skins with it to protect the ipad, otherwise it's kind of naked to dirt and grime getting in the open case..
not much to it for $60, coupon helps.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
can you post pics of all the positions you can set it in?

thanks

If you go to their main website, it pretty much shows all the positions it can be in. They're the same as the Apple Smart cover. Basically standing up in landscape, standing up in portrait (would not recommend with this case; not stable at all!), and tilted up for typing. That's really all.

----------

At $20-30 I'd be more interested, I would use skins with it to protect the ipad, otherwise it's kind of naked to dirt and grime getting in the open case..
not much to it for $60, coupon helps.

Agreed. Was not happy about the price, but the novelty of having the iPad in a case without holsters really attracted me.

I do agree I worry whether the "open-ness" of the cas will cause dust and whatnot to get into sleeve. I suppose that is the tradeoff to have it so open and minimalistic. It'll be up to people's preference whether that tradeoff is worth it or not. For now, it is also a concern to me.

AxelTurbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Is there any reason the old version of this case wouldn't fit the new iPad - I'm in UK at it's available for a pretty reasonable price.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
Is there any reason the old version of this case wouldn't fit the new iPad - I'm in UK at it's available for a pretty reasonable price.

It will fit (I saw someone else mention that they had the iPad 2 version and it fit perfectly), it's just a question as to whether the sleep/wake function will work.

Because we now know that it's a polarity issue, you could get some cases from the same range that do work and some that don't - it all depends on which way round the magnet is inside the case.

I really want this case, but don't want to pull the trigger on the iPad 2 version just yet because of this issue and the new cases aren't yet available in the UK.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

I cannot personally say, but it seems like it should fit fine. If the camera position is in the exact same place as the iPad 2's (which I think it is) then I'd say you could go for it. Otherwise, since it's so "open" there's nothing else to align.

AxelTurbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the replies! Now I've just gotta make the big decision between this, the Incipio Lexington or the Switcheasy Canvas! I note that the Canvas has already been reviewed in a video so I eagerly await a review of the Lexington.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the review - does look great and really sleek :D

Still waititng for this case to arrive on their UK site :mad:

A few questions if you don't mind answering...

1) Does the front fold back okay for reading, holds in place much etc?

2) When folded back does it accidently turn off the screen (sleep/wake)? The review on their own site here suggests it does occasionally

3) No sleep/wake issues like some of the cases?

Really wish they did this in red similar to the Apple smart cover red, that would be awesome with my iPad :D

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Nice looking case. But still too expensive even with the coupon for me. I am looking for something like the Casecrown Omni that fully covers the back and sides and is only $30.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Important update for anyone considering this case. Casemate has emailed me saying there's a problem with the magnets causing the cover to put the iPad to sleep when its folded all the way back and flat. Avoid for now until they update this problem. They are offering full exchanges or refunds to those who want it.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK

Thanks for the update, hope they fix this soon, it means they'll be delaying launching the case in the UK no doubt :(

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I went ahead and ordered an orange on. Does yours suffer from the issue they emailed you about?

I really like my smart cover but I now use my iPad as a hotspot for work too so I need something to carry it in and I don't always like using a sleeve.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I went ahead and ordered an orange on. Does yours suffer from the issue they emailed you about?

I really like my smart cover but I now use my iPad as a hotspot for work too so I need something to carry it in and I don't always like using a sleeve.

Yes it did have the issue, but I don't typically fold it all the way back flat anyway (I fold it half way) so it didn't matter to me that much.

They're offering full refunds or exchanges for when the issue is resolved if you find it problematic, minus shipping. Hopefully, they'll be sending you a "fixed" one already.

lkw15

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Thanks for the great review...I actually bought one and it was delivered on Friday. I love it. I haven't really figured out how to line up the iPad on the sticky sheet 100% of the time, but I'm sure I'll get it.

The case itself is really cool. Light, great texture and the open bezel is neat. All in all I'm happy with it.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
Strongly considering this case, does anybody know if the sleep wake issue has been resolved yet? Also, can anyone that has this case comment on whether or not the magic tape has begun to lose its stickiness after removing a few times? Thank you.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
i just received my orange case today and i can confirm it does not have that sleep wake issue with the flap closed. it looks like (at least the orange) has been fixed.

pablo87va

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Hi!

I've bought the Tuxedo case but the magnets are not working, it doesn't wake/sleep my iPad 3, does anyone suffered the same issue?

Thanks!

lammerpants

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
after 3 case exchanges, I'm finally happy with this one

After going through the STM Skinny, Macally slimcase, and an official leather smart cover, I've found 95% of everything I want in a case in the Tuxedo, my only gripe being that it's kind of annoying to get the case to stick in the exact location you want if you're anally retentive like me, as the magic tape is *very* strong.

Magic Tape - I trust it more than smart cover magnets, that's for sure. Also keeps the screen in it's purest form by having nothing "cling" onto it on the front borders. You can literally flip this thing, shake hard, and the ipad will refuse to come out.

Material - highest quality I've seen from a 3rd party thus far, feels elegant, sturdy, this may sound weird but i found myself rubbing it at my desk while at work. Yea, I know. I got the grey, by the way.

Magnets - I just received the latest batch I assume, so the magnet works just as good if not better (in feeling more solid) than the official smart cover.

The protection on the sides isn't a huge concern for me as I'm not tossing my ipad around everywhere. One tip, if you find yourself tipping the ipad over when pushing the screen in viewing mode just reapply the ipad to the cover a few millimeters lower so you lower the center of gravity. Doesn't sound like much, but it does a lot.

Hope that helps.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
What didn't you like about the Macally Slim Folio? I have it on order but it hasn't shipped yet and I'm dying to hear more reviews from users..

lammerpants

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
What didn't you like about the Macally Slim Folio? I have it on order but it hasn't shipped yet and I'm dying to hear more reviews from users..

It was a decent design, but there are these plastic clips that attach the device to the case that you use to close the case and put it into viewing mode that involve alot of attaching and reattaching..that's fine as a concept but there was a general concern it could scratch my ipad over time and I didnt want to risk it. :/

If you look in the slim macally thread somewhere on this forum I posted a pic of what im referring to.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Really on the fence with this case

I received this case today in the turquoise color which is very pretty. I'm not sure if I really like this case well enough to use it as an everyday case. Things I like about it are:

Really nice design and super workmanship of the case. Absolutely perfect case with no flaws and with my bad luck with case defects, this quality is awesome.

I like the minimalist style of the case but even with no hard case back, I wouldn't say this is the lightest or the slimmest case out there.

The double stick tape should do the trick and hold the iPad very securely. I really have no worries that it will come loose. If I have any worries at all it would be that the super stick tape would case damage to the back of the iPad. I hope not.

I didn't have a real hard time aligning the ipad with the case - if you can put on a screen protector, you surely can align this accurately.

I also like that due to the back not being tight to the iPad speaker, the sound seems to almost bounce off the case and be a little louder but also a tad echoey

The case works fine with the awake/sleep function and the magnets don't turn off the iPad when held against the back of the case in book mode.

With all the good things I've said about this case, something about this case is a little weird. Just feels kind of floppy and almost has a look of being thicker than it is. I'm going to try it for a day and see if I become more fond of it as time goes on.

Has anyone else had this case and kept it for awhile? Any issues with removing it? Any damage from the super sticky tape?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.