Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
From the Otterbox twitter today.. it's looking like a waterproof iphone case:

Did you know that on Tuesday we will be announcing something #Epic? Want a hint? Check this out: http://ow.ly/bbzQi

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
stand corrected I one of those not a big fan though great cases just to bulky for me. I am fallowing to see what the news will be though. I'll wait to see if it's #epic

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Otterbox already has waterproof cases... but the phone isn't useable with the cases... so it's more for storing it in a possibly wet situation.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Otterbox already has waterproof cases... but the phone isn't useable with the cases... so it's more for storing it in a possibly wet situation.

Why do people keep saying/thinking this? Otterbox has not made a WATERPROOF case up until the announcement today of the armor series. The Defender Series cases are not waterproof. Otterbox even says they are not themselves on the website...

"Environmental Protection: This case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is NOT protective against water."

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Why do people keep saying/thinking this? Otterbox has not made a WATERPROOF case up until the announcement today of the armor series. The Defender Series cases are not waterproof. Otterbox even says they are not themselves on the website...

"Environmental Protection: This case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is NOT protective against water."

It is waterproof, such as in raindrops, etc. Its not waterproof such as "dropping it in the toilet bowl". I think thats what they are saying above.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
It is waterproof, such as in raindrops, etc. Its not waterproof such as "dropping it in the toilet bowl". I think thats what they are saying above.

That is NOT WATERPROOF! You still don't get it! :confused:

WaterPROOF MEANS that it can be submerged into water safely. There are actual waterproof ratings.

According to your warped definitin of waterproof, the naked iphone is "waterproof".

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

Are you daft? I wasn't taking about the Defender. They have waterproof cases, but not for use of the phone, just waterproof storage: http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/waterproof-cases,default,sc.html

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The title of this thread is "OTTERBOX ANNOUNCES WATERPROOF IPHONE CASE - OTTERBOX ARMOUR". Why are you bringing up waterproof storage boxes to begin with? Lol, lets stick with the subject at hand.

Yes, it's hilarious.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
This looks exactly like a Lifeproof case, except the metal enclosure in the front. I see no need to own this, IF you already have a Lifeproof case. I've had my Lifeproof Version 2 for well over 6 months, with no complaints.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
This looks exactly like a Lifeproof case, except the metal enclosure in the front. I see no need to own this, IF you already have a Lifeproof case. I've had my Lifeproof Version 2 for well over 6 months, with no complaints.

I would hardly say exactly.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Anyone heard anything on this case recently. I still haven't seen any real photos, prices or release date. Really interested in this case.

Gadget Lady

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
I've read some of the post where I notice people are saying its not waterproof (speaking) of Armor Otter box, well the You Tube-video shows that it is for 30 minutes. You even submerge the empty case under water for 30 mins to check it before putting it on your phone. How can you not call that water proof?

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
OK, so I got it today. I love how it look, the build quality, sounds is much better than other waterproof cases I have tried. Only the screen protector has a little gap so it need a bit more effort to operate. Is there a way to improve this? All in all I love this case!

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
OK, so I got it today. I love how it look, the build quality, sounds is much better than other waterproof cases I have tried. Only the screen protector has a little gap so it need a bit more effort to operate. Is there a way to improve this? All in all I love this case!

Actually, I have opened the case and removed the black thing around the earpiece. It fits the screen much better now and I haven't seen any problems with this "mod".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.