Otterbox announces waterproof iphone case - Otterbox Armor

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kovey, May 28, 2012.

1. kovey, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

kovey macrumors 6502a

From the Otterbox twitter today.. it's looking like a waterproof iphone case:

Did you know that on Tuesday we will be announcing something #Epic? Want a hint? Check this out: http://ow.ly/bbzQi

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. kovey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Incorrect. The Defenders are certainly not waterproof.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

stand corrected I one of those not a big fan though great cases just to bulky for me. I am fallowing to see what the news will be though. I'll wait to see if it's #epic

5. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Looks like Lifeproof may be getting some competition. Hopefully this case is legit!

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Otterbox already has waterproof cases... but the phone isn't useable with the cases... so it's more for storing it in a possibly wet situation.

7. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Why do people keep saying/thinking this? Otterbox has not made a WATERPROOF case up until the announcement today of the armor series. The Defender Series cases are not waterproof. Otterbox even says they are not themselves on the website...

"Environmental Protection: This case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is NOT protective against water."

8. rgctx macrumors regular

It is waterproof, such as in raindrops, etc. Its not waterproof such as "dropping it in the toilet bowl". I think thats what they are saying above.

9. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

10. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

oh god. random post but if you look at the top comment that just made me lol out loud. ugly case, but I'm sure Otterbox will make something that will give lifeproof a run for their money! :D

11. kovey thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is NOT WATERPROOF! You still don't get it! :confused:

WaterPROOF MEANS that it can be submerged into water safely. There are actual waterproof ratings.

According to your warped definitin of waterproof, the naked iphone is "waterproof".

12. parrot5 macrumors 6502

13. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

wow, I always thought Otterbox cases are too bulky, but this sounds good. Cool video!

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Are you daft? I wasn't taking about the Defender. They have waterproof cases, but not for use of the phone, just waterproof storage: http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/waterproof-cases,default,sc.html

15. JMies419 macrumors 6502

The title of this thread is "OTTERBOX ANNOUNCES WATERPROOF IPHONE CASE - OTTERBOX ARMOUR". Why are you bringing up waterproof storage boxes to begin with? Lol, lets stick with the subject at hand.

16. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yes, it's hilarious.

17. scott99 macrumors 6502a

This looks exactly like a Lifeproof case, except the metal enclosure in the front. I see no need to own this, IF you already have a Lifeproof case. I've had my Lifeproof Version 2 for well over 6 months, with no complaints.

18. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I would hardly say exactly.

19. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Anyone heard anything on this case recently. I still haven't seen any real photos, prices or release date. Really interested in this case.

20. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

They have some videos on their site.

A "crush test" video goes live on th e20, a "water test" one on the 24th.

21. Gadget Lady macrumors newbie

I've read some of the post where I notice people are saying its not waterproof (speaking) of Armor Otter box, well the You Tube-video shows that it is for 30 minutes. You even submerge the empty case under water for 30 mins to check it before putting it on your phone. How can you not call that water proof?

22. Ajaredic macrumors regular

Ajaredic

OK, so I got it today. I love how it look, the build quality, sounds is much better than other waterproof cases I have tried. Only the screen protector has a little gap so it need a bit more effort to operate. Is there a way to improve this? All in all I love this case!

23. superstarmc macrumors regular

I just ordered one to replace my lifeproof case.

24. Ajaredic macrumors regular

Ajaredic

Actually, I have opened the case and removed the black thing around the earpiece. It fits the screen much better now and I haven't seen any problems with this "mod".