Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Serious question friends. Does it make you look like a complete tool shed when you post something like

"Ahh, sometimes it's not only the speed, sometimes its the luxury. And sometimes it's also the brand."

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Serious question friends. Does it make you look like a complete tool shed when you post something like

"Ahh, sometimes it's not only the speed, sometimes its the luxury. And sometimes it's also the brand."

Yes, it does. Same for "Um," "Ehrmm," and all their variants. But I think that any negative impression is outweighed by the feeling the poster gets because they think they're pointing out something obvious to someone not as smart as they are. As in: "Um, everyone knows that the _______ is _______."

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Not the complete tool shed, just a spanner.

EDIT: Some people might not get the joke. A spanner is called a wrench in USA (in the UK a wrench is an adjustable spanner, not any spanner). A spanner also refers to an idiot who gets things wrong, derived from an old phrase "a spanner in the works". Some people still might not get the joke.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Depends. Sometimes it means you already knew something but thought it was so obvious that you're surprised someone else didn't know. "Ahhh, I that's because you were trying to fizzle the whiz bang through the terminal." [As in - only a complete noob would do it that way...]

But sometimes it can mean the opposite, that someone pointed out something obvious to you and you're feeling a bit like a noob. "Ahhhh, I advanced tab in preferences that lets you uncheck the default fizzle behaviour." [As in - of course the setting I was looking for is in the most obvious place, duh!].

All of this is imho, of course....

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Ahh, thank you for all your replies. I deduct that it's safe to assume that "Ahh,....sometimes it's also about the brand" makes you look like a blithering toolbox, especially when your nickname is an over-sized bra.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I looked at the original thread. Can't say I would have given a second thought to it starting like that. I say it sometimes after someone has cleared something up for me that I didn't understand. Guess I'm smug. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.