Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've just been reading the "Anything new regarding 3GHz G5s thread" and it got me thinking. It's all very well for us regulars to slam people for not searching before posting, but is there really any point in it if we don't put in a quick link to the more appropriate thread ourselves.

It's starting to get annoying seeing threads getting started by newbies, only to get slammed by these crass one-liners regarding their inability to know not to have started the thread in the first place. Let's face it, the search feature in vBulletin is a little lacking, and sure, maybe they should have persevered with there research before posting, but there's no point in us simply telling them to look for an answer elsewhere without at least doing the courteous thing and providing a link to another thread.

Surely there's a rule against this, right? These people are new to our community and we should be welcoming them, not hassling them. :)

Sorry if that got a bit ranty, it's been a long week at uni. :(

Synopsis: provide links to appropriate threads, help the poster, or don't post anything at all. :)

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
I agree 100%. It seems a little unwelcoming to the newbies when MR members fire back at them. Sure it seems like newbies continually do this but it isn't like they're the same ones... these are all different members that are being railed as if it's a repeat offender.

We should do our best to welcome new posters here and help make this community friendlier. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Google's great, but it's not as up-to-date as the inbuilt search function.

Either way, I still think we have been a little too harsh on newbies recently.

Applespider

macrumors G4
To be honest, the only reposts that really get my goat is where someone posts a new thread immediately above another thread on that subject and it feels like they came onto the forum and hit 'New Thread' without looking through the most recent topics in that section (which doesn't involve the admittedly dodgy search facilities at all). I can understand them reposting an article in different sections but not in the same one!

My concern with reposts is that not everyone is likely to retype their opinion/answer every time (I know I don't) so the newb with the question might not get the best answers - and if you have a problem, you want it fixed NOW, then searching might bring it up first.

On the other hand, I'd rather see a new thread sometimes than exhuming one from months ago. Information might have changed since the original and the new poster's question might be buried. There are a lot of people who seem to read the original question and reply without reading any of the other comments which might have solved that and created others. In those cases, the new poster's questions sit in the middle of the thread while the original poster gets his old questions answered all over again.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i do not mind the repost's as such - on stuff like how do i ... or my mac will not boot or what ever

when i first started here i was just the same ,never botherd to read the forums or search for the answers

can't blame the Newbies for this as i'm sure we have all done this

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I lurked for a long time before I ever posted :eek:
I didn't want to seem foolish

I think there are several different kinds of newbies

Those that are genuinely "new" to all things and don't have a lot of experience

Those that are cocky and think they know it all and have the inside info

Those that are just plain lazy and want to get something but never invest

Those that want to jump into the spotlight and be accepted without investing

Those that didn't know there was a search feature, a way to find other posts, or common forum courtesy

And I'm sure there are other categories

I try not to judge them too harshly, but we all have our moments :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, good summary MacDawg. :D

Just for the record, this thread isn't aimed at anyone in particular and I've got nothing against newbies (obviously). It's just getting to me how often I'm seeing posts like this after a relatively simple question:

stodgy old regular said:
OMG! This has been posted like eighty times already today. Why don't you just do a search you n00b! :mad:

When it should really be something like this:

lovely calm regular who doesn't mind finding the link for the newbie said:
Well, you might wanna search for the answer next time because there's already a thread on it here. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When encountering blatant reposts or rethreads I usually try to: Answer the question, then point out that they should search/browse (with a varying degree of sarcasm), and find examples on suitable existing threads.

But, and there's a big but(t), I don't always bother to search up older threads, as it just takes too much time. If I can answer the question then a quick "please, search, or at least browse" is sufficient, I think. You don't always have to find n threads...

I agree with mad jew, though, when someone yells at new(bie) posters to search without answering the question and/or providing links that's not very nice and should be sanctioned, if repeated after a warning or two. I always try not to be too harsh with newbies... ;) (...but I can get pretty rude to any regulars asking "the usual questions" sometimes... :eek: ;))

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
We should have a New Members Forum in where newbies can post new threads, sort of like a Preschool. They can view the other forums but not allowed to post new threads. After 100 or so posts and/or a minimum 6 month probation period, they are then granted permission to post new threads in the regular forums. This would stop annoying posters like Mood and Switzermac.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hey Lacero, let's not make this personal.

As for the special newbie threads, I don't think it's really in the spirit of MacRumors to be so exclusive. I'm not complaining about newbies, I'm complaining about some of our regulars' treatment toward them. :(

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
sometimes reposts happen because people are too lazy to search. sometimes they happen because people don't know that regulars don't like reposts here (in other forums this is not a problem).

often the title of the original thread is not very helpful so you don't find it. in other cases the thread has long been hijacked and deals with totally different things. so people start an new thread.
in these cases a "school for the frequent posters" at MR would be as good an idea as for newbie's. seriously, this preschool idea is not very helpful.

if the repost really bothers you that much just post a link to the original threat and let the thread die rather than bashing the newbie with 5 posts. by that you're just keeping the thread on top of page one.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I agree, and have been trying to do the same lately.

I go do a search and post the link, telling them that there is a search feature.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Sorry, I disagree with the lot of ya.

MR members can sometimes get a little snippy when a new member bursts onto the scene, posting away, completely ignorant of our community, its rules, and its traditions.

If newbs like to learn about MR, have a technical question about how to do things on the forum, are curious about how things work, or wonder whether their question's already been discussed (sometimes to death) here's what they can do:

*Go to the FAQ! It's rather comprehensive!
*Do a search to see if we've talked about their subject before. The search link is atop of every page.
*Post here! Friendly moderators can patrol the forum just to help them along.

The New Member forum should be created because some new members are rather shy about posting. It would also be a safe, warm, place to have their first experience. We want them to become an active member, and a part of this magnficent community!

This would also solve the problem of regular posters attacking a newbie. This forum is where new members drive the discussions and where regular posters are discouraged from posting new threads but encouraged to visit and help out the newbies.

My idea makes perfect sense! Don't be dissing it. :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Lacero said:
Sorry, I disagree with the lot of ya.

MR members can sometimes get a little snippy when a new member bursts onto the scene, posting away, completely ignorant of our community, its rules, and its traditions.

If newbs like to learn about MR, have a technical question about how to do things on the forum, are curious about how things work, or wonder whether their question's already been discussed (sometimes to death) here's what they can do:

*Go to the FAQ! It's rather comprehensive!
*Do a search to see if we've talked about their subject before. The search link is atop of every page.
*Post here! Friendly moderators can patrol the forum just to help them along.

The New Member forum should be created because some new members are rather shy about posting. It would also be a safe, warm, place to have their first experience. We want them to become an active member, and a part of this magnficent community!

This would also solve the problem of regular posters attacking a newbie. This forum is where new members drive the discussions and where regular posters are discouraged from posting new threads but encouraged to visit and help out the newbies.

My idea makes perfect sense! Don't be dissing it. :D

I get my Firewire forum, first, though. :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
slightly off topic: a few times i started a thread that was a repost :eek: .

is there any way to wasteland/delete my own thread? i can't report my own post to get it deleted by a mod. so being able to make the evidence dissappear would be great.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
sheesh... even yesterday i was guilty of starting the 'how did you find macrumors' thread... did a search, couldn't find it... i've been around for a few years now and have way too many posts to my name...

the threads that bug me are the "WHAT KIND OF RAM DO I NEED!??!!1!" and anything with "UPDATES ON TUESDAY!!!1!" in the title...

obviously hot news stories are going to be posted more than once, but it's usually in an excited rush to break the news first.

i think that Lacero's forum idea is interesting, worth considering

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Sheesh everybody, you'd think this was a new topic. We've rehashed this a thousand times already. Do a search next time. :mad:

Alright, just kidding - I do like Lacero's New Member forum idea (also the longest single post by Lacero I've ever read :)). I'm not sure I like the 100 post limit, as that's a little difficult - and could really curtail participation by new members, especially with the 6 month limit.

Sure, there are occasional members whose posts are, shall we say, less than well-received by the majority, but there are a far greater number of members who contribute nicely early on. I'd name them, but I think we all know who they are.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
emw said:
Sure, there are occasional members whose posts are, shall we say, less than well-received by the majority, but there are a far greater number of members who contribute nicely early on. I'd name them, but I think we all know who they are.
I wish there was some way I could see how other members perceive others, but more importantly, how others perceive me. ;) :eek:

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Lacero said:
My idea makes perfect sense!
One of the main problems with your idea, is that it completely disregards the fact that someone may be joining (after lurking for years) to discuss something that is already in discussion in the "main" forums. They would have to post a new thread (in the newbies forum) that would possibly duplicate a thread in the existing forums, just because they had insight or specifics regarding their own problem.

Additionally, we'd make a lot more work for the mods, duplicate tons of threads, and alienate the newbies. That does not sound like an idea that makes perfect sense.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
devilot76 said:
I wish there was some way I could see how other members perceive others, but more importantly, how others perceive me. ;) :eek:
You could make a thread asking people to rate you from 1-5 in a number of categories:

1. Relevance of posts to thread topic
2. Appropriate interaction with other members
3. Interest level in threads started by you
4. Looks "exotic" despite being vertically challenged

;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.