Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Hey guys, so I just restored my iPhone 4 to iOS 6.1.2. I tried to jailbreak with redsn0w, using the 6.0 ipsw, because the 6.1.2 wasn't recognized, and I was recommended to use the 6.0 ipsw. Although my iphone is still thetered, it boots without the need to connect it to my computer.
However, Cydia does not work (it closes immediately) and I can't get any service. What should I do?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: , I unthetered jailbroke my iphone using evasi0n, however, I get NO SERVICE.

Last edited:

uhuphi

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
You can also boot tethered using redsn0w, open Cydia and search for evasi0n there. This way it will only install the evasi0n untether.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
You can also boot tethered using redsn0w, open Cydia and search for evasi0n there. This way it will only install the evasi0n untether.

As I stated in the original post, my iphone boots without the need to use redsn0w and Cydia doesn't open.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I just restored my iPhone with 6.1.2. Now it's in recovery mode and evasi0n doesn't recognize it. Any suggestion?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
If I recall correctly evasi0n does not work with phones in recovery mode. After you restored your phone, simply make sure it's power on as normal (not in Recovery or DFU Mode) and use evasi0n.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
As I stated in the original post, my iphone boots without the need to use redsn0w and Cydia doesn't open.

Tethered jailbreak phones boot into an un-jailbroken state if not booted using the Just Boot tethered method.

----------

I just restored my iPhone with 6.1.2. Now it's in recovery mode and evasi0n doesn't recognize it. Any suggestion?

Plug your phone phone into iTunes, close every other program
Click the restore button, choose set up as new
As soon as you activate the phone, use evasi0n.com to jailbreak.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
If I recall correctly evasi0n does not work with phones in recovery mode. After you restored your phone, simply make sure it's power on as normal (not in Recovery or DFU Mode) and use evasi0n.

I can't get out of the recovery mode state unless I jailbreak it.

Tethered jailbreak phones boot into an un-jailbroken state if not booted using the Just Boot tethered method.

----------

Plug your phone phone into iTunes, close every other program
Click the restore button, choose set up as new
As soon as you activate the phone, use evasi0n.com to jailbreak.

How can I restore it with iTunes while preserving the baseband? I was just restoring with redsn0w because I need to preserve the baseband.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Nice of you to finally mention you need to preserve baseband :(

Both Redsn0w and TinyUmbrella have a fix recovery feature
Use newest Sn0wbreeze to do a No BB restore to iOS6

Sorry! I already tried to get out of recovery mode both with redsn0w and tiny umbrella but it didn't work.So I create a custom 6.1.2 IPSW with sn0wbreeze (using the simple method), then Shift+Restore with iTunes to restore and then jailbreak with evasi0n right?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
And does the newest iTunes allow me to load custom IPSW's or do I need to download an older version?

Newest should be fine

Just so you know, if you are preserving 1.59.xx, many are having issues getting Ultrasn0w to unlock it on iOS6.
And if you are preserving 2.10.xx-4.10.xx, many sim interposers do not work on iOS6.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Newest should be fine

Thank you very much! Just one more thing, in sn0wbreeze, should I create a custom IPSW using the Simple Mode or the Baseband Preservation Mode? I ask because the Simple Mode also jailbreaks the device.

Newest should be fine

Just so you know, if you are preserving 1.59.xx, many are having issues getting Ultrasn0w to unlock it on iOS6.
And if you are preserving 2.10.xx-4.10.xx, many sim interposers do not work on iOS6.

My baseband is 03.10.01. I currently use the carrier to which my iphone is locked too, I just want to preserve the baseband in case someday I need to unlock my iPhone to other carriers.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thank you very much! Just one more thing, in sn0wbreeze, should I create a custom IPSW using the Simple Mode or the Baseband Preservation Mode? I ask because the Simple Mode also jailbreaks the device.

I don't use Sn0wbreeze (every phone I own has always been IMEI unlocked).
From what I read, simple mode should work just fine.

If you need step by step help, use Google or go to the developer's website (iH8Sn0w) for more info

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I don't use Sn0wbreeze (every phone I own has always been IMEI unlocked).
From what I read, simple mode should work just fine.

If you need step by step help, use Google or go to the developer's website (iH8Sn0w) for more info

Oh ok. I think I'll go with the baseband preservation one, because it also jailbreaks the iphone, and so it may conflict with evasi0n.

Thank you all for all your support.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Oh ok. I think I'll go with the baseband preservation one, because it also jailbreaks the iphone, and so it may conflict with evasi0n.

Thank you all for all your support.

It will not conflict with evasi0n, the only iOS6 jailbreak is evasi0n, so Sn0wbreeze is using that method to jailbreak also.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
It will not conflict with evasi0n, the only iOS6 jailbreak is evasi0n, so Sn0wbreeze is using that method to jailbreak also.

And will it jailbreak it unthetered?
I ask because evasi0n says it is not recommended to jailbreak an already jailbroken device.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
It's called semi tethered rather than tethered. It boots in the non jail broken state and can use the phone as usual without the jail break apps.

Reykor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Here is a tutorial for Sn0wbreeze as I recommended you Google/find/follow earlier

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11/12/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-and-ios-6-0-1-with-sn0wbreeze-2-9-7/

Sn0wbreeze has been updated for 6.1.2 since the tutorial was written but the steps should be the same.

Good luck - Done here

I have done everything, but when I try to restore it using iTunes, it gives me the 1600 error. I ended up restoring using redsn0w and jailbreaking using redsn0w also.

Everything is working fine now, except for the fact that I have no service. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.