Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hey all,

Does anyone know if Simcity 2013 will work on my Macbook Pro 2009 in Windows 7? I have the 13" MacbookPro5,5

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz with NVIDIA 9400M 256mb Video card.

Thanks for all your help

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
You should be fine.
What system specs are you targeting with the Mac version?
Like the PC version, we are aiming to make the game as accessible as possible. Any user with Snow Leopard and a Core 2 processor will be able to enjoy SimCity for Mac.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/faq

I still think you should be fine even though you will run it on Windows 7

Last edited:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
You should be fine.
What system specs are you targeting with the Mac version?
Like the PC version, we are aiming to make the game as accessible as possible. Any user with Snow Leopard and a Core 2 processor will be able to enjoy SimCity for Mac.

I still think you should be fine even though you will run it on Windows 7

Really? No discrete GPU needed? I remember Sim City 4 bringing my PC to it's knees back in the day. Once my city became somewhat large the game was nearly unplayable.

I was thinking that I wouldn't even be able to play it with the Intel 4000 in my 2012 MBP...

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Really? No discrete GPU needed? I remember Sim City 4 bringing my PC to it's knees back in the day. Once my city became somewhat large the game was nearly unplayable.

I was thinking that I wouldn't even be able to play it with the Intel 4000 in my 2012 MBP...

I've read a lot on twitter and reddit and they have designed this game to run fine on a base system.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Why are you wanting to run it in Windows 7 and not the Mac version on your Mac? Because you're also running it on another PC?

If it becomes available on steam you ought to look into buying it through there instead of EA (though it might not be, EA is trying to push it's origin pretty hard). With steam, if you buy a Windows PC game, and there's a Mac version, you can download the Mac version to the Mac version of Steam!

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
With steam, if you buy a Windows PC game, and there's a Mac version, you can download the Mac version to the Mac version of Steam!

Only games that are "Steamplay" enabled. Many are not.

Also, considering that EA just released an Origin client for Mac, you're probably gonna have to buy it there.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Only games that are "Steamplay" enabled. Many are not.

Also, considering that EA just released an Origin client for Mac, you're probably gonna have to buy it there.

Yeah.. which I'm not a fan of (the origin part). Origin is okay but Steam is far better, but EA I guess can make more money from origin. And sell games that have multiple expansions to buy ON launch day... and then a few months later more expansions and more ways to grub money...

Their DLC of-late has been as bad as freemium games on iOS, except that you pay $60+ for the game!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
The problem is, it's not coming out same day on the Mac as it is on the PC. I don't want to wait, LOL ;-).

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Wait I thought it was going to be launched the same day as Windows.

It was supposed to be on the same day. It has been delayed. Their PR statement basically said since it is not a port it is taking longer and they want to get it right.
Bottom line if you want to play March 5 then buy the PC version and use bootcamp.

Beecker

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
It was supposed to be on the same day. It has been delayed. Their PR statement basically said since it is not a port it is taking longer and they want to get it right.
Bottom line if you want to play March 5 then buy the PC version and use bootcamp.

Well thanks and crap. Guess i will bootcamp Windows.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Which brings me back to the original question, do you think I'm good in bootcamp? :)

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Wait, so the Mac version isn't just a cider wrapper port? It's actually written in native OS X code?

That is... ****ing awesome if true.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Wait, so the Mac version isn't just a cider wrapper port? It's actually written in native OS X code?

That is... ****ing awesome if true.

If you look at the FAQ you will see it is not a port but native OS X.

Why is the Mac port launching later?
This isn’t a Mac port, but a full native version that runs on the Mac OS. Because of this, we want to take the time to ensure that Mac fans will get a version worthy of their platform.

beavisqueef

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
It's still going to lag on a 2009 machine. Even though it's not the most graphically intensive game, the improvements in AI will tax the CPU, and large cities will require a good computer to render. However, it will be more fault tolerant than most games to lag a bit so it should be okay.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
If you look at the FAQ you will see it is not a port but native OS X.

Why is the Mac port launching later?
This isn’t a Mac port, but a full native version that runs on the Mac OS. Because of this, we want to take the time to ensure that Mac fans will get a version worthy of their platform.

Wow. Outside of Blizzard and Valve, you don't see that much anymore.

Awesome.

The.Walrus

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Wow, I had no idea it was a native Mac client either! That's great news!

I'll happily wait past launch day for this.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I will only consider buying the PC version if I get the Mac version as well on Origin. I believe I heard that rumor.

spyrmac

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
i have an early 2009 iMac 2.93 ghz core 2 duo
8gb ram
nvidia gt 120 256 mb ram

will it run ?

how does my gt 120 256 mb
compares to the NVIDIA 9400M 256mb ?

(would it be ok to open a new thread or will i be bothering you too much ? )

spyrmac

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I will only consider buying the PC version if I get the Mac version as well on Origin. I believe I heard that rumor.

it's not confirmed but even if it is it will not apply to the disc version
only the digital download .
which is more expensive than the disk !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.