Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I updated to iOS 7 GM yesterday and now my iPod's microphone is totally dead. I first found this out when I went to use Siri and it sat there with an extremely active "sound wave" and wouldn't even acknowledge that I spoke by saying "I didn't understand" or something, so I investigated. I opened voice memos and pressed record. Even while in a silent room it acted like there was a loud noise and when I listened to the recording all I heard was white noise. Video recordings have the same static. My final test was to FaceTime my sister and guess what? THE SAME STATIC! Is this a known bug or hardware issue or what? It would be nice to get help before the 18th when I can bring my iPod into the apple store and have it tested.

Jelliess

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
My mic after updating onto 7 GM works well. tested with Siri, it does do my command.

Hard reset would be able to help you out.
After installations, device rebooting is recommended.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I updated to iOS 7 GM yesterday and now my iPod's microphone is totally dead. I first found this out when I went to use Siri and it sat there with an extremely active "sound wave" and wouldn't even acknowledge that I spoke by saying "I didn't understand" or something, so I investigated. I opened voice memos and pressed record. Even while in a silent room it acted like there was a loud noise and when I listened to the recording all I heard was white noise. Video recordings have the same static. My final test was to FaceTime my sister and guess what? THE SAME STATIC! Is this a known bug or hardware issue or what? It would be nice to get help before the 18th when I can bring my iPod into the apple store and have it tested.

Similar problem here?:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1630035/

Seems like it could be iOS 7.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
As defunct32 has pointed out, this seems to be an iOS 7 Beta glitch. If you want your microphone to work guaranteed, I suggest you either revert back to the current stable iOS 6 release or be patient for the official iOS 7 public release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.