Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macintosh1984

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Ok, clearly it didn't work to md5sum the .app because it's a directory. To bad. The unofficial variants out have a clearly modified dmg so the checksum will fail no matter what. Darn, need to hold out a few more weeks it seems :)
Because the most important files that will be installed are on InstallESD.dmg, please check SHA-1 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1652.

If you build a USB stick OS X, the files used are "only" from InstallESD.dmg.

Thanks!

----------

openssl sha1 InstallESD.dmg
SHA1(InstallESD.dmg)= 7b4f4b188f13dd3eabdd86a1cbc433632bf41882

I'd like others to verify incase mine is off.
Thanks, the same for me! Others people?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Just to have system temperatures down by 40% is a dream.

Down from 70 degrees to 40 degrees is awesome.

Some slight stuttering on some animations, but smooth as butter, and dare I say it, Snow Leopard like in terms of speed and temperature?

IMHO
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!:D ...but what Mac are you using? I have mid-2010 MBP 13 w/4GB ram. ...I may not wait for 10.x.3 like I usually do.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Damn... Guess this means I need to start cleaning up my hard drive for that clean install.. :/

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Safari is just insane. Creating new tabs is instant even if I have 20 tabs open. Even Facebook scrolling is smooth now.

vanhaakonnen

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
Anybody here using Watchever with Safari? The silverlight plugin isn´t working correctly any more - I can´t watch anything... In firefox or chrome everything is fine.

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany
Anybody here using Watchever with Safari? The silverlight plugin isn´t working correctly any more - I can´t watch anything... In firefox or chrome everything is fine.

Yep, Watchever is broken in Safari. This seems to be a Watchever specific problem as netflix is working fine.

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany
Thanks! Where is the Watchever bug reporter? I want to do the same.

btw Safari is ridiculously fast. I'm seriously considering a switch from chrome.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
pre-release 13A598 GM seed

… GM is always only seeded to devs.

Not developers alone.

What's the difference between AppleSeed and the Mac Developers? …

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/help/faq explains:

> … if you are developing a product of your own, it is in your best interest to work with ADC. This program is designed for customers, not developers. …

Anyone has the legit md5 sum for this GM release?

13A598 is a golden master (GM) seed, not yet a release.

13A598 may be less than what's to be released by Apple.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
Not developers alone.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/help/faq explains:

> … if you are developing a product of your own, it is in your best interest to work with ADC. This program is designed for customers, not developers. …

13A598 is a golden master (GM) seed, not yet a release.

13A598 may be less than what's to be released by Apple.

Okay I forgot to mention AppleSeeders.
Anyways, it's not going to show up in the Mac App Store...

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
App Store now (pre-release) and after release

… it's not going to show up in the Mac App Store...

Each authorised seed tester who has a valid redemption code (example) redeems that code in App Store to perform the download, but in this store there's not yet a page for the product.

Only after a build is released to the public will there appear a page with the more familiar option to download.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Under the hood is some substantial stuff.

This is a very subjective topic...

In reality, Lion was an awful update under the hood, and ML did little to remedy it's performance shortcomings.

It was not at all like Leopard to Snow Leopard.

I'm viewing Mavericks as being more what ML should have been. Somewhere over the last 3 releases, I can see people thinking they are due a freebie even if they're dreaming.

I think we all need to change our thinking. An os update used to be $129 affair, and for 2-3 years, updates to it were often major with some minor fixes in between.

Now, we do not see any major updates to an os cycle, just minor bug fixes. (And usually not fixes for major issues.... those are lucky to come to the next major release.)

The last 3 or 4 versions of OSX have been glorified service packs (and sorry fan boys, the majority of people agree on this, quit trying to defend apple, this is reality.)

So basically, what we have today is more like OSX installment plans.... years ago, you'd pay $129, get at least 2 major updates and many minor bug fix updates X.X.1 - X.X.8 Those numbers might climb, but an updates size is tiny and it's changes few. No killer new features added off cycle, no major changes, etc.

If you take Lion, ML, and Mavericks and combine what you paid for all 3, factor 3 years of time, you get something close to what you would have paid for OSX when it was a longer time between releases.

It's really just.... you're getting installment plans on the os.

So should it be free? No. And in the shorter release cycle we now have, it does allow a few nice changes that would not have been feasible as point updates, though minor.

Now lets get to something important, like can they ever fix this fracking wake from sleep thing? For the love of god, shutting down and cold starting would be faster. I don't live in Europe. I don't need their stupid power requirements on my machine.

seattle29

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Is it normal to recover so much free space?

I upgraded from DP8 to the GM and an extra 20 GB of free space appeared on my hard drive. I was worried it had deleted some of my photos/music/applications etc. but they're all still there, so it seems the free space came from a system area.

20 GB seems a lot to recover...

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010

I upgraded from DP8 to the GM and an extra 20 GB of free space appeared on my hard drive. I was worried it had deleted some of my photos/music/applications etc. but they're all still there, so it seems the free space came from a system area.

I noticed the same. Installed GM last night from 10.8. and noticed that I have got around 20gb more. Could that be correct? If so then its awesome as my retina mbp is constantly fighting with space. 512gb is just not enough :)

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany

same story. I've absolutely no idea where the space is coming from. (I had local backups disabled in ML)

PS: you can know use the power button to put your rMBP to sleep :)

Last edited:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
The users who noticed that change in space all came from a Mavericks' DP or did that happen coming from ML?

Last edited:

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany
in my case it was at least 20GB if not more. (250GB SSD)

It's worth noting that i had hibernation disabled (and deleted the images). So it's probably not just a case of 'hibernation images got deleted'.

Where there any changes to HFS+?!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Memory compression and other enhancements; testing with ZFS

… improvements in Mavericks …

+1

There's Apple's June 2013 OS X Mavericks Core Technologies Overview (PDF) – not entirely about technologies that are new to 10.9 but still, it's recommended reading.

Amongst the enhancements, compressed memory may be most welcome.

I look forward to testing with a file system that's traditionally relatively memory-hungry – ZFS. Testing first OpenZFS ZFS-OSX (a well-developed alpha) then in due course, ZEVO (work in progress) …

----------

… at least 20GB …

Compared to which build? Please see above … I shouldn't draw any conclusion.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This has been the one release I didn't follow at all since I got into Macs.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I took the Mavericks DMG file, just copied to the the applications folder, launched, and installed. No need for USB drive, format, or anything like that. Just another option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.