Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
I understand the limitations with Bluetooth 4.0 being low energy, etc. but what I don't understand is the AirDrop limitation as well. My 2011 MBP can currently AirDrop to another Mac, and my iPhone 5 can AirDrop to another iPhone, so why does Bluetooth LE have to be in place to AirDrop between my Mac and iPhone?

Because the old airdrop from mac to mac used wifi while the new one uses the Bluetooth LE version added in iOS 7. Mac's still have the option to do the old airdrop method though, including newer macs with Bluetooth LE. Old ones just won't be able to airdrop with iOS

mkldev

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2003
Probably just checks the primary interface.

It seems likely that they only check for BTLE support on the primary BT interface rather than iterating through all the Bluetooth interfaces attached to the machine. It's definitely worth filing a bug, as it might be a quick fix.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I'd be willing to bet that you'll be able to replace the Bluetooth module with one from 2012. They look visually the same to me, and you can pick them up on eBay for like $20. Just make sure you get the the right chipset.

I did find a reference to BCM94331PCIEBT4AX being the right one, but, I have late 2013 retina's, so, I have no need to buy/test a new BT module.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
I'd be willing to bet that you'll be able to replace the Bluetooth module with one from 2012. They look visually the same to me, and you can pick them up on eBay for like $20. Just make sure you get the the right chipset.

I did find a reference to BCM94331PCIEBT4AX being the right one, but, I have late 2013 retina's, so, I have no need to buy/test a new BT module.

This is what i was thinking. I have an early 2011 MBP and the chips are the same. I want to try and change mine out once the public beta is available. I read a post on the apple discussion forum where someone replaced his early 2011 one with a 2012 chip and he was able to use Knock (the app to unlock your mac through your iPhone) which uses bluetooth LE. He just doesn't have the Yosemite beta to test whether handoff will work.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
It's not because of the Mac - it's because of the iPhone. The reason Airdrop didn't work between the 2 devices initially is because of how the iPhone handles Airdrop. The iPhone handles AirDrop via Bluetooth 4/LE b/c of battery life issues. The iPhone uses Bluetooth LE in order to contact the other iPhone/iPad and setup the transfer in info, but the actual transfer is done via Wifi. Bluetooth 3.0 was a severe battery drain - it didn't allow the device to allow the Bluetooth chip to enter a low-energy state. Think of it like wading vs. swimming. BT 3.0 made the device swim to connect to other devices with purpose. BT 4.0 allows the device to 'wade' and detect other devices but not necessarily connect to them.

The Mac limitation really isn't a 'Mac' limitation, but an iPhone one b/c while the Mac's battery may not drain fast enough with BT 3.0 enabled enough to concern Apple, the iPhone's battery - which isn't that big anyway - would drain quickly.

But that doesn't address one glaring difference between AirDrop and Handoff - Handoff is, in theory, a seamless transition that shouldn't involve the user - the devices recognize each other on their own, so whenever you want to pick up a task that has been started, you can; Handoff requires "always on." Otherwise, what's the point?

However, with AirDrop, both with Mac-Mac and iPhone-iPhone as currently implemented, the feature has to be enabled/clicked everytime a transfer is to be initiated. Bluetooth (or Wifi) isn't always listening. In fact, Bluetooth on my iPhone is usually off, but I can tap on AirDrop, which activates it, and then I can turn it off. I guess I'm just annoyed Apple isn't implementing a WiFi based AirDrop on the iPhone when it doesn't always need to be on in the first place.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
This is what i was thinking. I have an early 2011 MBP and the chips are the same. I want to try and change mine out once the public beta is available. I read a post on the apple discussion forum where someone replaced his early 2011 one with a 2012 chip and he was able to use Knock (the app to unlock your mac through your iPhone) which uses bluetooth LE. He just doesn't have the Yosemite beta to test whether handoff will work.

There's no reason it wouldn't work.. The BT support is hardware dependent; as long as the right hardware is there, the drivers will support it.

The trick is getting the right card -- after that, it's not even a particularly hard device swap. A few screws, a few sticky connectors, and a few wires later you'll have it swapped out.

If I still had my 2011 17" MBP, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. If it takes anyone longer than 30 minutes, you're probably doing it wrong.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Seriously, while a cool concept in theory, how often would anyone actually use this? Virtually never.

At least that's my thoughts, and all my machines are capable.

The first iteration.
The goal is for your user experience to be seamless between devices.
Browse the internet on your phone? Get home launch up Safari and you are where you left off.

Work on a Word doc on the train home? Get home launch work and be right where you left off, no file transfer, opening of document, ect. needed.

What you are more or less saying is that syncing pages in a book or the place in a video is pointless. I think we would all agree it isn't. This just takes it one step further.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
There's no reason it wouldn't work.. The BT support is hardware dependent; as long as the right hardware is there, the drivers will support it.

The trick is getting the right card -- after that, it's not even a particularly hard device swap. A few screws, a few sticky connectors, and a few wires later you'll have it swapped out.

If I still had my 2011 17" MBP, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. If it takes anyone longer than 30 minutes, you're probably doing it wrong.

Awesome! Thanks for your input. I'll probably try and swap out the card once I have access to the public beta for Yosemite and then you can see whether the computer supports it. I have an iPhone 5S so it will work on that end. Now I just have to make sure to find the right card. A lot of websites (such as iFixit) list the cards from 2012 as compatible with previous models but they list a Bluetooth 2.1 card as the correct 2012 replacement which is obviously incorrect.

If anyone can get me the correct bluetooth card info for the mid 2012 15 inch MBP, i would really appreciate it!

tomimorillo

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Sorry that's part of the Handoff feature.

Not too sure about that, some are reporting working sans BTLE. As for making calls and sending SMS, I've been doing that as far back as 2005 when I got my first Mac (17" PowerBook) using then a neat app called BluePhone Elite. The developer stopped support for the app some time later stating that he was hired by Apple. Perharps there's some code of him in Handoff(?). There are a few alternative apps that have replaced BluePhone Elite: Phone Amego, Connect (this one even makes you activate Siri via your Mac!), etc. and they work nice for making calls and sending SMS from your Mac. Though having it running native a-la Apple is great, but not something that I'll consider replacing my mid 2009 13"MBP which is still very solid.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I stay optimistic someone finds a way to enable it :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hackintosh crew gets it working within a couple of weeks of release. From there, it should be easy to get it working on Apple hardware too.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Awesome! Thanks for your input. I'll probably try and swap out the card once I have access to the public beta for Yosemite and then you can see whether the computer supports it. I have an iPhone 5S so it will work on that end. Now I just have to make sure to find the right card. A lot of websites (such as iFixit) list the cards from 2012 as compatible with previous models but they list a Bluetooth 2.1 card as the correct 2012 replacement which is obviously incorrect.

If anyone can get me the correct bluetooth card info for the mid 2012 15 inch MBP, i would really appreciate it!

This one looks right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadCom-Ap...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item1c13364b95

The BCM20702 is the BT 4.0 chip.

It's only $20, so, not a huge loss if it doesn't work.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I've not got any iOS devices running the iOS 8 beta to test it at the moment, but my Mid 2011 Mac Mini is saying No to Bluetooth LE and Yes to Continuity...

This doesn't seem to make sense if Bluetooth LE is a continuity requirement or have I missed something?

Attachments

• Bluetooth.png
    Bluetooth.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 1,211

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Seriously, while a cool concept in theory, how often would anyone actually use this? Virtually never.

At least that's my thoughts, and all my machines are capable.
I'd use it in situations where I'm home and I've left my phone on the charger in the bedroom and I'm using the laptop in the living room. It'd be great to not miss a call because I can't hear the phone.

That said, I won't upgrade my mid 2011 MacBook to enable this. I'd like to upgrade in the near future, but this feature alone wouldn't make me pull the trigger. I do think it's a bit of a shame it doesn't also work over wifi between devices on the same network as something like airplay does.

dannsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2001
Clinton, MT
Why hand off?

I have a Mid 2011 iMac with a 1 1/2 left on my AppleCare. I also have a developer package for OS X only. I don’t think home users will need hand off.
I tend to replace my Mac about every 5 years. Usually when applications and features no longer work on the older systems.

I will have to wait for IOS8 to take advantage of the phone answering.

If you Mac does what you need, do not upgrade the Mac.

Change will happen.

Who knows maybe Apple with take care of this issue in the later betas.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
I've not got any iOS devices running the iOS 8 beta to test it at the moment, but my Mid 2011 Mac Mini is saying No to Bluetooth LE and Yes to Continuity...

This doesn't seem to make sense if Bluetooth LE is a continuity requirement or have I missed something?

Some continuity features work without Bluetooth LE such as the calling and sms

----------

This one looks right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadCom-Ap...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item1c13364b95

The BCM20702 is the BT 4.0 chip.

It's only $20, so, not a huge loss if it doesn't work.

Awesome!! Thank you so much!

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
It's not enough to stick the USB dongle in and check system preferences...

You have to tell OSX to use the external Bluetooth dongle as the main device. This is done in Terminal via the command:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior="always"

TheDutchGamer

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
What I find odd is that on my MacBook Pro(2011) a Message appeared saying that my iPhone 5 is ready for contuinity.
How does my MacBook Pro recognize it if it doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0?

Calling & messages seem to work.
But haven't been able to resume apps from my MacBook Pro

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
It's not enough to stick the USB dongle in and check system preferences...

You have to tell OSX to use the external Bluetooth dongle as the main device. This is done in Terminal via the command:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior="always"

Can someone check to see if this works??

floyd-pinkerton

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013

My 2011 MacBook Pro 15 has a 2012 bluetooth/Airport card in it, as that was all I could get when I repaired it. I get this in System Profiler on 10.10 DP2, so it looks like some Macs will be somewhat upgradable hardware wise.

Interestingly I remember hacking Airdrop back on Lion on an upgraded 2006 iMac with a 2008 Airport card in (so I could have wireless n) it and that worked flawlessly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.