Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
coopdog said:
I'm currently in the market to buy a 15" Powerbook. Do you think I should wait to see what comes out at the next apple convention?

I didn't wait because I need the PPC and wanted something that was the end of the line where the maximum number of issues have been resolved. I received my PowerBook 15" yesterday. The screen is gorgous. No lines or anything bad. I'm very pleased and glad I bought now. This machine will serve me well for the next five to seven years and by then Apple will have worked out the kinks in their switch to MacIntel.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
pubwvj said:
No lines or anything bad. I'm very pleased and glad I bought now. This machine will serve me well for the next five to seven years and by then Apple will have worked out the kinks in their switch to MacIntel.

First off, please post some pics then, I don't believe we've found any current rev Powerbook without the lines. Second, you may be pleased now, but may not be in two weeks after MWSF. If you'll have the ability to boot both OS X and Windows, in addition to better performance, battery life, etc. you maybe be kicking yourself in two weeks. Third, 5-7 years to "work out the kinks?" Please tell me you're joking. It may take 1 rev, or maybe 2, but 5-7 years for God's sakes? One year from now they will be completely fine I'm sure.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Veritas&Equitas said:
First off, please post some pics then, I don't believe we've found any current rev Powerbook without the lines.

See the attached photo. In real life the screen looks even better than that. It is much smoother than the photo and the color is better. The odd blue/purple color cast is because I have a reef tank on my desk.

Second, you may be pleased now, but may not be in two weeks after MWSF. If you'll have the ability to boot both OS X and Windows, in addition to better performance, battery life, etc. you maybe be kicking yourself in two weeks.

Wow, you are soooo wrong. I want a PPC PowerBook that can run Classic and OSX. I do not have any need to run Windows. I specifically bought this one because it is the end of the line, the best PPC notebook computer Apple has ever or will ever make. This is what _I_ need.

You on the other hand can buy the MacIntel Rev. A machines and I wish you the best of luck. Apple, as with other manufacturers, has a long history of screwing up the first one or two revisions. I have real work to do so I'll skip those. Remember, "People on the cutting edge bleed a lot." :) Have fun.

Attachments

• PB15ScreenNoLinesDSCF2255.jpg
    PB15ScreenNoLinesDSCF2255.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 246

DIXIE

macrumors member
Amen!

Hi Walter ..... it's me again ...... your point of view regarding the PPC PowerBook is exactly what I have intended!! :)

Wow, you are soooo wrong. I want a PPC PowerBook that can run Classic and OSX. I do not have any need to run Windows. I specifically bought this one because it is the end of the line, the best PPC notebook computer Apple has ever or will ever make. This is what _I_ need.

You on the other hand can buy the MacIntel Rev. A machines and I wish you the best of luck. Apple, as with other manufacturers, has a long history of screwing up the first one or two revisions. I have real work to do so I'll skip those. Remember, "People on the cutting edge bleed a lot." :) Have fun.

If you noticed in the sub-details, V & E is also a Windoze User :p, which accounts for the salivating viewpoint.

V & E misunderstood your 5-7 year statement .... you want to USE the PB for that time frame. :)

The green area in your thumbnail photo looked very good, even if the overall blowup was a bit fuzzy.

Don't forget that RAM slot checkout.;)

Enjoy your PB. :D

DIXIE
:) :)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
DIXIE said:
V & E misunderstood your 5-7 year statement .... you want to USE the PB for that time frame. :) ... Don't forget that RAM slot checkout.;) Enjoy your PB. :D DIXIE :) :)

Yes, that is what I meant. I used my last PowerBook (Pismo 400MHz) for five and a half years and it is still going strong. It was the best of it's generation. My wife is getting it now. Her machine is passing on to another hand in the family, etc. I tend to keep a machine running for five to seven years and in some cases much longer.

Some people had said the first photo was not good enough for them. Here is another photo. It is a closeup. Note that this is such a detailed shot that you can clearly see the black traces between the LCD cells. That is normal and not visible under regular usage. If someone's complaining about that they need to peal their eyeballs off the screen! :)

Still no lines, dead pixels or waveyness. I'm happy! :)

I will check the RAM slot real soon. I'm getting my order ready as we speak. OWC was a good suggestion, thanks. They have an excellent price on the 1Gig RAM and I have been happy with them in the past for other stuff.

Attachments

• PB15CloseupDSCF2285.jpg
    PB15CloseupDSCF2285.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 175

freshleon

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2005
pubwvj said:
Some people had said the first photo was not good enough for them. Here is another photo. It is a closeup. Note that this is such a detailed shot that you can clearly see the black traces between the LCD cells. That is normal and not visible under regular usage. If someone's complaining about that they need to peal their eyeballs off the screen! :)

Still no lines, dead pixels or waveyness. I'm happy! :)

There are lines visible in that image you posted. It may be difficult to see but they are there. I own one of these new Powerbooks and its very difficult to see the lines at all. Only a very close macro shot like that one will show this defect.

I guess some peoples eyes are just more sensitive than others.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
freshleon said:
There are lines visible in that image you posted. It may be difficult to see but they are there. I own one of these new Powerbooks and its very difficult to see the lines at all. Only a very close macro shot like that one will show this defect.

Wow! Unreal. There are no lines on my screen. If you have to use a close macro shot to see something that isn't there, then you're being unreasonable. The fact that you claim there are lines when there are not makes me think your screen also has no lines. No wonder Apple is rejecting people's claims and ignoring it. Guess I should have bought my PB back when they first came out rather than listening to all the scare-mongers whine for the last couple of months. There are no alternating bands of light and dark pixels "the lines" in the macro shot. The screen is perfect. If that is "flawed" then every LCD screen I have ever seen is flawed and we have about 20 here. You're looking for something that isn't there. Get real.

You make me think that your PB doesn't have any lines either and this whole issue was bogus - i.e., there are no lines on any PowerBooks. Up until now I was perfectly willing to believe that some people had gotten faulty PowerBook screens that showed a real problem, not just something in their heads.

The reason I posted to start with is that my screen look great. I do photo work every day. I do layout and design. I use the web and email. There are no lines. The screen is gorgeous. I think it is important that people who do have good screens to post a note so that peple who have not yet bought know that the lines are not on 100% of the screens. I would have bought a lot earlier knowing and seeing what I see now on my screen.

This is to people who have not bought a PowerBook but want to: There are no lines on mine. The screen is beautiful. Maybe some people have lines on theirs. Maybe they are just seeing things that aren't there like freshleon. The fact remains there exist screens that are perfectly fine - no lines, no dead pixels, no waveyness. I wish that I had bought sooner since I'm coming to the conclusion that either this is a minor issue that affects only a few screens or perhaps it is only a defect in some people's heads. Either way it is not significant. If you actually get a screen with lines, call Apple. People have reported Apple doing exchanges. I'm unsubscribing to this thread as the people with lines in their eyes are stuck there. This is rediculous. It makes me wonder if people like freshleon are trolls for Microsoft or something. Stranger and stranger...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
freshleon said:

I guess some peoples eyes are just more sensitive than others.

If that is the case (Which it is not), mine also has lines! (see Image below)

pubwvj said:
Wow! Unreal. There are no lines on my screen. If you have to use a close macro shot to see something that isn't there, then you're being unreasonable. The fact that you claim there are lines when there are not makes me think your screen also has no lines. No wonder Apple is rejecting people's claims and ignoring it.

I agree, and my gut feeling is that there are a few powerbooks with lines warranting valid complaints. At the same time, mass paranoia is making people that DO NOT have a problem, think that they do.

If you need a powerbook, buy it, if you can wait, by all means wait. Just don't use the excuse of there being line issues to wait, as I am sure that there will be some issue that the chronic complaining group will find on the next revision.

I am not intending to offend, my intent is to be realistic!

Attachments

• IMG_7399.jpg
    IMG_7399.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 127

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I asked pubwvj, but thought I'd also ask here.

Can someone with an older "non-horizontal-line" PB screen post a close-up screen shot like the one above?

My only laptop experience (before my new 15" PB) has been with Dell/HP/IBM, and their screens have always had "lines" like above (when you look close enough, anyway). I'm wondering if this is why I don't "see" the lines on my 15" -- I'm used to them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aristobrat said:
I asked pubwvj, but thought I'd also ask here.

Can someone with an older "non-horizontal-line" PB screen post a close-up screen shot like the one above?

My only laptop experience (before my new 15" PB) has been with Dell/HP/IBM, and their screens have always had "lines" like above (when you look close enough, anyway). I'm wondering if this is why I don't "see" the lines on my 15" -- I'm used to them.

If you don't see lines, then what's the point?

Since I don't see why it needs to be a "powerbook" display, I am posting up 2 pictures from my non Apple LCD attached to my G5 Powermac

IMG_7406.sized.jpg

IMG_7402.sized.jpg

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
840quadra said:
If you don't see lines, then what's the point?
I'm just curious as to "why" others can see lines in something that I can't. Maybe "can see" isn't as good of a term as is "are bothered by".

Since I don't see why it needs to be a "powerbook" display...
Right, and as I expected, the "lines" in your pictures look the same (to me) as the ones from pubwvj's new PowerBook.

I was asking for pictures from older PowerBooks because somehow, after reading all of the posts in the umpteen threads about the "horizontal line issue", I expect a shot from an older PowerBook screen to look different from what you and pubwvj have posted.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aristobrat said:
I'm just curious as to "why" others can see lines in something that I can't. Maybe "can see" isn't as good of a term as is "are bothered by".

It is because people are being hypersensitive in regards to this subject. I don't doubt that there were a few powerbooks with issues in the beginning, and even now. Even with that, some posts by people saying they see lines in pubwvj's display, and on others like it, are either paranoid, or have bad displays themselves.

Right, and as I expected, the "lines" in your pictures look the same (to me) as the ones from pubwvj's new PowerBook.

I was asking for pictures from older PowerBooks because somehow, after reading all of the posts in the umpteen threads about the "horizontal line issue", I expect a shot from an older PowerBook screen to look different from what you and pubwvj have posted.

I don't see how it would look different, unless you mean you don't expect it to look different ?

::EDIT::

Nevermind, I see what you are saying now.. I am just slow this Friday morning ;)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I'm sure you've made up your mind at this point but I'll post my two cents any way.

Given how close the expo is I would say wait for now (barring extreme, uncontrollable urges to get one immediately). You never know what might come out that makes you change your mind on what it is you think you need with regard to a portable solution.

I myself had to exchange my 15" battery for a new one. I have 1.5 GB of RAM in mine and no problems. I don't have lines in my display and I don't have problems with the screen flickering.

If I were in the market to buy I'd wait for the expo to take place then consider my options.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
yo let's all chill out cuz we're not set out to save the manatees here right?

the apple desktop pic is a bad test pic. try this. go to http://www.cnet.com. see those orange bands on both sides of the page? the lines should show up pretty clearly there. especially when you have a non-affected screen right next to you.

as for the wavy scanning bands, that's most evident in the cranky cat pic.

it is a major issue because i've visited two major apple stores today and sampled each of their 15" powerbooks. they all have the scan lines as well as the banding. the 17s don't though one of the 17s did show the moving scan lines, but not to the degree of the 15s.

this IS an issue. bottom line.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
BENJMNS said:
yo let's all chill out cuz

Like it or not, writing style does have a psychological effect on how people perceive written expressions. This is true no matter how correct or informative the post is.

this IS an issue. bottom line.

I can't speak for all the others, but I understand that this issue is real, and do not think otherwise. I have seen powerbooks with the lines in person, and see that it would be an issue if one was to have an effected powerbook.

With that, I have been to 2 Apple stores multiple times during the past couple months, and did not see lines on any of their 15" powerbooks. I also do not think the problem exists on all 15" powerbooks, as some on here appear to feel / think.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
840quadra said:
Like it or not, writing style does have a psychological effect on how people perceive written expressions. This is true no matter how correct or informative the post is.

More so, it'll be the content of their message and the fact that you even bothered to write what you did here shows you may have something stuck up your posterior. ;)

So unless you're (oooh mistake here so sorry, your right?... plus the parenthesis...oh sorry yet again) last name is Webster, you might try being a bit more casual and accepting about one's grammar and spelling since we are on an internet bulletin board.

And since when did Mac users become so uppity? Especially those from miserable Minnesota?

I've seen enough of these screens to think almost all are impacted. I've yet to run into one that's completely clear and devoid.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
BENJMNS said:
More so, it'll be the content of their message and the fact that you even bothered to write what you did here shows you may have something stuck up your posterior. ;)

So unless you're last name is Webster, you might try being a bit more casual and accepting about one's grammar and spelling since we are on an internet bulletin board.

And since when did Mac users become so uppity?

I've seen enough of these screens to think almost all are impacted. I've yet to run into one that's completely clear and devoid.

I am just giving advice that has been shared with myself in the past, and actually is true.

If you don't like it, and feel that it is an ad homonym attack, I am sorry you feel that way.

Happy new year :)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
BENJMNS said:
So unless you're (oooh mistake here so sorry, your right?... plus the parenthesis...oh sorry yet again) last name is Webster, you might try being a bit more casual and accepting about one's grammar and spelling since we are on an internet bulletin board.

And since when did Mac users become so uppity? Especially those from miserable Minnesota?

Did I miss something? He was quite polite about his remark, I don't see a problem with him making the statement that he did. I'm also uncertain as to why you insulted his, presumably, hometown / location of residency.

:confused:

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
aristobrat said:

Hi Aristobrat,

As promised, here is a photo of my Pismo. It looks essencially the same as the new PB15, that is to say there are the intercell 'lines' on the LCD cells and like the newer machine it has no 'lines' (although my Pismo does have one stuck pixel). The newer screen is much sharper, crisper and brighter. I've included the PM answers below as I said along with the photo I couldn't send via private message.

aristobrat said:
My new 15" PB is my first PB, so I have no other Apple experience to compare it to.

I, too, can't see any lines on my screen, but some of the Mac users in our graphic arts dept saw them. But those folks have been using PB's for the last 10 years.

I've been using notebook computers since they first came out and we've had dozens of different ones here in our home and work. I do a lot of work with layout and photographs. The current generation, including my new PB15", look the best I have ever seen. There are no flaw lines.

Examining the photo in Photoshop to check the luminocity and color of the LCD cells shows they are fine. There are no 'lines' in the LCD cells. That is a scientific test of it. My screen does not have any lines. The only lines are the intercell spacing and those have always been there.

Note that the original 'lines' problem that I saw people describing was that one row of LCD cells would be bright and the next row down dimmer, etc. The only 'lines' on my screen are the intercell lines between the pixels. That is not the same thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who are seeing the 'lines' are seeing the microscopic spacing between the LCD cells. The very fact that they insist on looking at macro closeup photo to see the 'lines' says it isn't a real issue. The actual LCD cells are fine. If they are looking at the spacing (black lines) then they need to back off. The proper viewing distance for a screen is something like 18" or more.

My best guess is that a few people had real problems with the screens (alternating rows of lighter and darker LCD cells) and then other people have looked too close (step back and peel your eyeballs of the screen please!) and started seeing the trace lines on the LCD between the cells. Then they began freaking out that they too had a problem when their screens were fine. The fact that some people have looked at my photos of my screen which has no problem and seen 'lines' tells me those people are not seeing a real problem. They are seeing the intercell spacing, not alternating lines of dark and light LCD cells (pixels).

Is there any way you could take a close-up of your old PB screen like you did of your new one?

Good question. I can't send it via this private message so I'll just post it to the discussion list along with this text. Note that my Pismo is a five and a half year old machine based on older LCD technology so it doesn't look as good as a new PB15" by far. The new one is crisp, clear and bright. My five year old Pismo is rather dim and dingy in comparison. I see no lines on my Pismo screen other than the intercell spacing nor on my son's iMac G5 Rev. B nor on my other son's brand new iBook G4 nor on my wife's PBG3 nor on any of our other LCD displays. All of them show the intercell spacing both horizontally and vertically but that is not a flaw - that is how the screens are made. It's a digital world. :) Even expensive high quality CRT's have interpixel spacing. Every LCD in our work and home has those 'lines'. None of them are 'flaws'.

Cheers,

-Walter
in Vermont
with no lines
on his screens.

Attachments

• PBPismoCloseupDSCF2287.jpg
    PBPismoCloseupDSCF2287.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 92

CTSxViper

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Hanover PA
Well, I'll add some good news. I didn't listen to all the negative hype about the lines. I need a laptop now (MAC). I already have a Windows based one. I went to the Apple Store, and spent a lot of time with the Powerbooks (15&17), and bought a 15". No Flickering, and the line issue that you point out is really not a concern to me. I've had 5 laptops in the last year and 1/2 through work and my personal use and this screen is by far fantastic, only edged out by my Dell 1920x1200 WUXGA Display. I am thoroughly enjoying my Powerbook and have seen not one bad issue with this. Again, I don't need to dual boot windows and Tiger. I'm glad I did it, and to all who are waiting. If you truly need a Mac Laptop now, go to an Apple store and see it in person for youself. If the purported banding bothers you then wait. But I tell you what, I spent a lot of time looking also at Windows Laptops this Christmas, and a lot of the XBrite WXGA & WSXGA Displays can't hold a candle to the 15 & 17" Powerbooks.. Cheers..
:D
CTSxViper

P.S.--Walter, good post.. Your points are right on..

DIXIE

macrumors member
I Agree!

Seasought said:
Did I miss something? He was quite polite about his remark, I don't see a problem with him making the statement that he did. I'm also uncertain as to why you insulted his, presumably, hometown / location of residency.
:confused:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys & Gals were letting this 15"PB issue(s) make the atmosphere a bit testy!:p

Select one of the following events to describe our concerns:
"As You Like It", "To Have or Have Not", "The Night of the Long Knives" (1930s Germany), or my personal choice "Razzle Dazzle" (from the movie Chigago) only in this instance it is performed by Steverino J. :rolleyes:

I still want the last and best PPC PB, so if the January 15"PB production doesn't show a permanent quality correction for the Display and RAM slot issues, I'll be going for the 17"PB. :)

There is no way an Intel x86, Yonah, Mermon, C.... whatever, is ever going to join my network of other Macs. :p

DIXIE
:) :)

LucT

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2005
Want to see the origin of the lines , See this ..

" There are no 'lines' in the LCD cells. That is a scientific test of it." The only lines are the intercell spacing and those have always been there.
"I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who are seeing the 'lines' are seeing the microscopic spacing between the LCD cells."
" They are seeing the intercell spacing, not alternating lines of dark and light LCD cells (pixels)."

If you have one second and really want to know what is producing the line problem, go to this thread of the Apple Forum

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=286351&tstart=0

You will find two very close pictures from a line affected and a line less PB15" and could make your own opinion on the pixel structure difference between the line less and the lined screen.

The lines do exist and they are a real hardware defect. They are not a specificity of "very amazingly wonderful screens". They are produced by repetitive pixel defects (every other horizontal pixel is defective), as well as by a misalignment between two consecutive rows of pixels.

Lets have a try and tell me what you think.

netb0y

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
I have yet to see any line-less 15" Powerbooks on display at either of the two Apple stores that I am able to check out fairly frequently. One is in southern NJ and the other is in northern VA. As of 12/29 in NJ and 12/22 in VA all the 15" Powerbooks on display in both stores had the lines.

If there are Powerbooks without the lines then why are then not on the floors of the Apple Stores?

When I wanted to "exchange" my 15" Powerbook for one without lines I was told that they were ALL like that. After some arguing they let me open up another one in the store and it too had the lines. I accepted a refund and will now waiting for the fix to be released.

Maybe some of them dont have the lines, I don't know. All I know is that the two I tried to purchase and ALL the ones on display at two Apple Stores have the lines (not to mention all the people on here complaining about them, with only one person saying that they dont have the lines). If you want to take a chance then go ahead and get one. Apple is aware of the defect and you can always return it.

Chkalov

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2005
Colleagues, the problem with the lines is really exist!
Hundreds of users write about it on the forums. There are two questions: when the defect will be officially recognized by Apple and when solution will be offered.

However, here comes a man that says he bought the PowerBook and its screen is perfect! The point of his emails is - "just buy PowerBooks"! There are no problems with that! Moreover, he become to assure that problem never exist and most of users just imagine it! In fact he pushing them to buy it but to be more honest he would warned everyone that buying PowerBooks is a lottery.

What can i say about that defect. When you open picture on the screen (for example http://crankycat.com/pb15_problems.png) - IT MUST LOOK identically in every part of the screen. When you open it on the PowerBook screen, "cranky cat" picture looks different when you moving it. What kind of proof do you want?

Shame on Apple that knows about that problem but many users have to prove it every time for their payed money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.