Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
If the TRIM starts to be a problem, is another option to buy a HD from Apple?

You could get an Apple-official SSD, but it's not something that you can just go to Apple.com and put in your cart. I know they mostly used Samsung 830s, Toshibas, and SanDisks (can't remember the model) with custom firmware if you ordered a machine with a 2.5" SSD. The issue is that these are expensive as replacement parts for slightly older technology.

I'd also mention that on the latest episode of ATP, Marco Arment and John Siracusa both talk about their experiences with SSDs and TRIM (both are not using TRIM at the moment).

fets69

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
Either would work fine, it just depends on what you think your personal data storage needs will be.

hi,
i need an opinion on this
i ve got a samsung evo 1 TB, i'll put into MacBook Pro 17-inch, Early 2008

is it ok to partition the HD in 2, and installing Yosemite on one partition and Snow leopard on the other?

i need SL to use some usb controllers

thank you

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
hi,
i need an opinion on this
i ve got a samsung evo 1 TB, i'll put into MacBook Pro 17-inch, Early 2008

is it ok to partition the HD in 2, and installing Yosemite on one partition and Snow leopard on the other?

i need SL to use some usb controllers

thank you

Sure... that will work just fine.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with the Angelfire SSDs? They have native TRIM support for OS X due to reporting themselves as official Apple SSDs. I'm looking at upgrading the 128GB SSD I got in my CTO 2012 cMBP, and at first I was going to go over to the 840 or 850 Pro. After learning about Yosemite's TRIM issues, I found this.

http://www.angelbird.com/en/conf/ssd-wrk-for-mac-929/

The performance figures they claim are great, and they have a 5-year limited warranty. But I've never heard of this company, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their products and if they can be recommended.

Thanks! :D

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Does anyone have any experience with the Angelfire SSDs? They have native TRIM support for OS X due to reporting themselves as official Apple SSDs. I'm looking at upgrading the 128GB SSD I got in my CTO 2012 cMBP, and at first I was going to go over to the 840 or 850 Pro. After learning about Yosemite's TRIM issues, I found this.

http://www.angelbird.com/en/conf/ssd-wrk-for-mac-929/

The performance figures they claim are great, and they have a 5-year limited warranty. But I've never heard of this company, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their products and if they can be recommended.

Thanks! :D

Be aware that Apple may kill this 'feature' of Anglebird in upcoming releases where setting trim again will be needed.

I don't have any trim issues with my 840 EVOs using the Trim Enabler from Cindori. With the upcoming update 10.10.1 I'll report back again.

Let's hope Apple will change it's trim policy for 3rd party SSDs!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
NVM at substantially full capacity: preventing detrimental effects

Topic for a recently granted patent:

Systems and methods for handling non-volatile memory operating at a substantially full capacity

… Non-volatile memory ("NVM"), such as NAND flash memory …

… prevent detrimental effects that occur when a logical space approaches full capacity, such as increased data fragmentation, slowed processing capabilities, more frequently required defragmentation, and the like. …

I don't know enough about SSDs to tell whether that patent is relevant. But I thought I'd throw it in.

Kinsella

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance as to whether the following SSD will be compatible with my MBP.

Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 512GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT5...UTF8&qid=1416319953&sr=1-4&keywords=256gb+ssd

I have a 13" mid 2010. The SSD will be replacing a HDD currently installed in my optical drive bay, so the connection is (as far as I'm aware) SATA II. I haven't read of any compatibility issues, but just wanted to check.

Thanks for any advice/observations.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), SSD 256GB.

I would like to upgrade the SSD to 1TB.

What SSD model do you suggest?

Thank you!
;)

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), SSD 256GB.

I would like to upgrade the SSD to 1TB.

What SSD model do you suggest?

Thank you!
;)

You've only one option - the original Apple part. Try eBay.

Apple use their own unique fit PCIe SSDs. There are no third party options as yet.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
You've only one option - the original Apple part. Try eBay.

Apple use their own unique fit PCIe SSDs. There are no third party options as yet.

What you are saying is that OWC SSD (example) wouldn't work in my MBP Retina?

Thank you!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
What you are saying is that OWC SSD (example) wouldn't work in my MBP Retina?

Thank you!

OWC makes a replacement for the pre-2013 models, but they have not released one yet for the newer models.

The OWC one will not work - it is a SATA drive where your late-2013 MacBook uses the later and faster PCIe SSD.

As Weaselboy says - the OWC is for the 2012 and early-2013 retina MBP only.

50L

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2014
Hi friends,

I currently have the late 2012 Rmbpro 13 inch with 128GB SSD

I would like to upgrade to 512GB , should I opt for an original or are there third party's on the market?

50L

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2014
The only issue you will have is TRIM will not be enabled with a third party drive. You can work around that by enabling it with this utility. Make sure you read this first.
Damn thats what im afraid of. I will search an original then. Thankyou!

Does this void the warranty?(applecare) ?

And when I take my MBPRO in for repair, do I need my original SSD or can I sell it?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Damn thats what im afraid of. I will search an original then. Thankyou!

Does this void the warranty?(applecare) ?

And when I take my MBPRO in for repair, do I need my original SSD or can I sell it?

It will not void your warranty unless during the install you manage to break something of course. No need to keep the old one.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Isn't it better to keep all original hardware as the Mac was shipped? For instance troubleshooting with the AHT or ASD or using Apple Care?

I would agree with an aftermarket drive, but OP has decided to buy the OEM Apple drive, so I don't see it as an issue. Just my opinion.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I would agree with an aftermarket drive, but OP has decided to buy the OEM Apple drive, so I don't see it as an issue. Just my opinion.

I don't know what machine it was being installed in, but I know when I took mine in for a creaky hinge issue (they had to order the part and then called me when it came in for the swap), the Genius at the Apple Store commented on my drive along the lines of, "I see you put in an SSD...nice upgrade!"

Since it is a customer-installable part, I think the only time where there'd be a problem versus the original hard drive is if it was an issue with the drive itself or the SATA cable (which I have seen here and there). I guess if the particular person at the service provider is picky, they could be a pain about it, but I think most won't make an issue out of it.

jcarey79

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
SSD Recommendation

On a Mid 2012, 13 inch MBP, I am looking to replace original CD drive with an SSD.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
On a Mid 2012, 13 inch MBP, I am looking to replace original CD drive with an SSD.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

I know most people on here seem to like the Samsung 840 Evo or the Crucial M500 (I think) for the best bang for your buck. OWC makes some good ones, too, although they tend to be a bit pricier. Regardless, you'll need a mount and adapter cable to use the drive in your optical bay. Have you thought of moving your hard drive to that bay and using the SSD in the hard drive location?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/drive_bracket/datadoubler/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.