Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Security Update 2015-003 1.0 for users who are running the current publicly available version of Yosemite, OS X 10.10.2. The update includes fixes for iCloud Keychain and an issue that could allow malicious applications to execute code.

securityupdate003-800x167.jpg
- Security Update 2015-003 Yosemite
- Security Update 2015-003 Yosemite (Early 2015 Mac)

Apple recommends that all users download the update, which can be acquired through the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store, or through the links below. According to Apple, the update "improves the security of OS X." There are two different versions available, one for early 2015 Macs and one for earlier Macs.
iCloud Keychain
Available for: OS X Yosemite v10.10.2
Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may be able
to execute arbitrary code
Description: Multiple buffer overflows existed in the handling of
data during iCloud Keychain recovery. These issues were addressed
through improved bounds checking.
CVE-ID
CVE-2015-1065 : Andrey Belenko of NowSecure

IOSurface
Available for: OS X Yosemite v10.10.2
Impact: A malicious application may be able to execute arbitrary
code with system privileges
Description: A type confusion issue existed in IOSurface's handling
of serialized objects. The issue was addressed through additional
type checking.
CVE-ID
CVE-2015-1061 : Ian Beer of Google Project Zero
Today's security update comes 10 days after Apple issued Security Update 2015-002 designed to fix the "FREAK" security flaw that left many devices vulnerable to hacking attempts.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Security Update for OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Users

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
There doesn't seem to be an official explanation of what this update fixes anywhere.

Last edited:

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008

lewnworxx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
Screwed me big time.

I just installed Yosemite specifically so I could drop a GTX970 in.

I've got a GTX285 official mac card, a flashed GTX 680 4GB card (which has been giving me problems, locking up during renders) so thus the GTX970.

Prior to getting the card I updated to Yosemite tonight.

Bad Idea Jeans.

To cover all the bases I downloaded:

343.01.01f03 for 10.10.0
343.02.01f01 for 10.10.1
343.02.02f03 for 10.10.2

Because I have next to zero net here (on a wifi hotspot) I pulled down the Yosemite installer from work, put it on a USB flash drive and dropped it on my boot to install. Install was fine on the flashed 680, had boot screen, no issues etc.

Went to install the drivers in prep for swapping out to the 970 and that's where the problems started.

NONE of the installers would run.

OK, fine, following the lead of other folks on the forum I got pacifist and had IT install the one for 10.10.2.

While it'll boot the screen updates are abysmally slow.

Pref pane won't run. At all. Says to go to the website and get a new installer. Tried that. No joy.

Ok fine, pull the 680 and put the 285 back in. Same deal. Ok fine, pull the 285 and put the stock 120 in. Same deal. In fact on login it repaints the screen from bottom to top about 10 times, taking 6-8 seconds per sweep up the screen. Windows tops are painting funny and the whole box is just sluggish as hell (MP 5.1 DP Xeon 8 Core).

Ok fine, dug into the pref pane, manually fired up the uninstaller (which did work) however on reboot after that I'm still at the same place with a more or less utterly unusable machine.

No clue what to do now.

Prior to this had 10.9.whatever installed, with the CUDA driver for the 680 4GB card and it was working fine. Now nothing works.

I picked the wrong day to install 10.10. Now thanks to Apple's fine insistence on installing the latest and greatest the second you install, I'm utterly dead in the water.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008

I've got a GTX285 official mac card, a flashed GTX 680 4GB card (which has been giving me problems, locking up during renders) so thus the GTX970.

Bad Idea Jeans.

343.01.01f03 for 10.10.0
343.02.01f01 for 10.10.1
343.02.02f03 for 10.10.2

Because I have next to zero net here (on a wifi hotspot) I pulled down the Yosemite installer from work, put it on a USB flash drive and dropped it on my boot to install. Install was fine on the flashed 680, had boot screen, no issues etc.

Went to install the drivers in prep for swapping out to the 970 and that's where the problems started.

OK, fine, following the lead of other folks on the forum I got pacifist and had IT install the one for 10.10.2.

Pref pane won't run. At all. Says to go to the website and get a new installer. Tried that. No joy.

Ok fine, pull the 680 and put the 285 back in. Same deal. Ok fine, pull the 285 and put the stock 120 in. Same deal. In fact on login it repaints the screen from bottom to top about 10 times, taking 6-8 seconds per sweep up the screen. Windows tops are painting funny and the whole box is just sluggish as hell (MP 5.1 DP Xeon 8 Core).

Ok fine, dug into the pref pane, manually fired up the uninstaller (which did work) however on reboot after that I'm still at the same place with a more or less utterly unusable machine.

No clue what to do now.

Prior to this had 10.9.whatever installed, with the CUDA driver for the 680 4GB card and it was working fine. Now nothing works.

I picked the wrong day to install 10.10. Now thanks to Apple's fine insistence on installing the latest and greatest the second you install, I'm utterly dead in the water.

You'll need to wait until nvidia updates their drivers. For some reason the drivers look for a specific OS build number and refuse to work properly if it changes (which the last 2 Yosemite security updates have done).

Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for updates, the owner of that site is very good with updates on nvidia driver releases.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Never got my 970 to work with the Nvidia drivers so send it back. It worked, but at slower then 680 speeds so didn't see the point. Shame, would have loved me some smooth 4K editing.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Bad Idea Jeans.

343.01.01f03 for 10.10.0
343.02.01f01 for 10.10.1
343.02.02f03 for 10.10.2

No clue what to do now.

It might help to change the Systemversion.plist to the earlier one, or just edit it to reflect an earlier supported System.
But, you'll need to do this as root.

Edit: The screenshot below is of a newer 10.10.3 System, just wanted to show where the file resides on the disk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 18.47.39.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 18.47.39.png
    353.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Frog0

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Security update stuffed my permissions on root

Well after installing this, my drobo, which I use as the main disk from my Mac Pro wasn't accessible - the permissions on root were cleared. Easy fix, but annoying.

lewnworxx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
It might help to change the Systemversion.plist to the earlier one, or just edit it to reflect an earlier supported System.
But, you'll need to do this as root.

Edit: The screenshot below is of a newer 10.10.3 System, just wanted to show where the file resides on the disk.

Thankee, will give that a go.

allison1derland

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
Update bricked my MBP

I downloaded and installed this security update, and on reboot it would have a progress bar of the updating which would not complete and would show the prohibited sign (circle with a line through it). I held the power button to shut it down and restart, same thing. Tried clearing the PRAM, but since it was in the middle of the update reboot, it was busy and would not properly clear the PRAM. No chimes. I tried holding option to select the boot drive manually, nope. Could not even get to the boot drive selection screen. Just the prohibited sign. I was able to plug in my external hard drive and boot from that after multiple tries to use Disk Utility to restore my backup partition onto the internal SSD. Luckily, I frequently backup, so I didn't lose any data by being forced to wipe my SSD and restore my backup.

This is on a 13" MBP 7,1 (Mid 2010) with an aftermarket Intel SSD and 8GB of aftermarket RAM. Had TRIM enabler on when downloading and installing the update. Is that the cause? After researching this and coming up with no solution, I discovered this security update seems to change the kernel. Is this conflicting with TRIM enabler? What causes this? I have done multiple "Computer must restart to install changes" updates on this SSD in the past without this happening.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I downloaded and installed this security update, and on reboot it would have a progress bar of the updating which would not complete and would show the prohibited sign (circle with a line through it). I held the power button to shut it down and restart, same thing. Tried clearing the PRAM, but since it was in the middle of the update reboot, it was busy and would not properly clear the PRAM. No chimes. I tried holding option to select the boot drive manually, nope. Could not even get to the boot drive selection screen. Just the prohibited sign. I was able to plug in my external hard drive and boot from that after multiple tries to use Disk Utility to restore my backup partition onto the internal SSD. Luckily, I frequently backup, so I didn't lose any data by being forced to wipe my SSD and restore my backup.

This is on a 13" MBP 7,1 (Mid 2010) with an aftermarket Intel SSD and 8GB of aftermarket RAM. Had TRIM enabler on when downloading and installing the update. Is that the cause? After researching this and coming up with no solution, I discovered this security update seems to change the kernel. Is this conflicting with TRIM enabler? What causes this? I have done multiple "Computer must restart to install changes" updates on this SSD in the past without this happening.

The behavior you described is consistent with what happens with point updates to Yosemite if TRIM Enabler is enabled.

Check here for more info:

https://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

PuruPurfler

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
These updates are very awesome basically available for OS X Yosemite v10.10.5 and OS X El Capitan v10.11.6
Impact: An application may be able to disclose kernel memory
Description: A validation issue was addressed through improved input sanitization.
CVE-2016-4655: Citizen Lab and Lookout

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.