Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
caveman_uk said:
Is homebrewing legal there?
I believe it is.

I'm not going to start brewing anything where I live now, but maybe when I have something more permanent it would be fun. I've tasted a lot of home brewed wine and some beer in my student days, and usually that's the kind of stuff that comes out when all other sources of alcohol are depleted. Not good. :eek:

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
gekko513 said:
I've tasted a lot of home brewed wine and some beer in my student days, and usually that's the kind of stuff that comes out when all other sources of alcohol are depleted. Not good. :eek:
There are two strains of homebrewing...the first brews because they can make what they want and are really dedicated to making the best beer they can. The second brews to get drunk.... :(

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
sorry

savar said:
I don't think VLC can play FairPlay files -- at least last time I tested it can't.

Have you been able to do that?

Balls, you're right, I forgot you were talking aboout purchased files. I have no idea wether VLC can do it though, might be worth a gander...

FireArse

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
While I've developed a lot of financial, clinical, and manufacturing software and programming tools on large machines, I've developed only a few utilities and tools on Macintosh and those have been done in Java. I'd created quite a bit of software on Windows 3.x and 9x, too.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
caveman_uk said:
Thanks. You should try it (brewing) ;) Beer's pretty expensive in Norway isn't it?. Is homebrewing legal there?

Of course, if you'd like to try BeerAlchemy and maybe buy a license......
Hey, I think my co-worker uses your app. I know for sure he had tried it. Not a hobby I think I will be getting into, but damned if I don't love being a taste-tester! :D

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
savar said:
I don't think VLC can play FairPlay files -- at least last time I tested it can't.
If you use QuickTime for audio playback, you can play back protected AAC files. If you use CoreAudio, however, you can't, because by its nature, CA gives you access to raw sample data, which Apple obviously doesn't want so they shut the door on that. I found this out the hard way :mad: . They need to come up with some sort of protected CoreAudio chain whereby you can use everything available with AudioUnits and so forth without exposing the raw sample data to a client. I'm not sure what VLC uses for playback of audio but I would guess QuickTime because it must already use that for the video bits.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm starting to develop a game now, its in Alpha, 0.0.1a of course, here's just a simple basic sprite movement, its written in SDL entirely. It is to be named, I'm going to work on this project. It will be an RPG.

EDIT: The base source code is from http://www.aaroncox.net/ I have asked and I do have permission to use his code, base code, so that I can develop my applications.
And you have to press G to get into the game, I haven't made a splash graphic yet, ESC to quit.

Attachments

• 2BNamed.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 70

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
savar said:
The reason that happens is because the processor is working in base-2 and you're writing the program in base-10. Some numbers that are non-repeating in base-10 are repeating in base-2.

The answer is not to round, but simply to format numbers appropriately before you display them.

I didn't know that... will look into it further. Thanks for the tip.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ok, I tried to run the program on a PowerMac G5 and nothing, it wouldn't even run. What's with that? -- The 2BNamed.zip

EDIT: Ok, it can't find ../SDL FRAMEWORKS/SDL/A/ or something, so its referencing it from the network side, how would I do this by making it a stand alone exec.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Lucky enough to be developing (almost) full time on the Mac. (also need to do occasional PC, PDA & phone development).

I used to do screensaver, media player & multimedia development (the kind of promotional stuff on CDs you get free with papers & magazines) which wasn't the most interesting or challenging.

I've written a marketing media content management and delivery suite; and am working on a collaboration, chat, and workflow management tool suite to tie into it.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I worked on getting this started a few years back.

Most of the software I write is either protected by NDA, or is internal to the clients I work with...I also did some work on an RFID software product being announced this week at RFID World - thats all I can say about it at the moment.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
arn said:
I loved Chrystar and Flag Day!! The release dates listed are 1994 and 1995 which is pretty odd since I'm almost positive I remember running those on my Mac Plus (which I still had in 1995 but I would have thought the apps were older). I remember being memsmerized by it, especially at the incredible speed at which it ran. I assumed it had to be written in 68k assembler.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
CharCounter, MD5shot, and SycureShell. See my website. I actually have updated 2 of them recently, and CharCounter basically rocks now. I hope I'll have time to work on the rest more than just making them universal, but time is something I don't have much of right now.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
HiRez said:
If you use QuickTime for audio playback, you can play back protected AAC files. If you use CoreAudio, however, you can't, because by its nature, CA gives you access to raw sample data, which Apple obviously doesn't want so they shut the door on that. I found this out the hard way :mad: . They need to come up with some sort of protected CoreAudio chain whereby you can use everything available with AudioUnits and so forth without exposing the raw sample data to a client. I'm not sure what VLC uses for playback of audio but I would guess QuickTime because it must already use that for the video bits.

Yeah I noticed that. Interestingly, if you use the Cocoa QTKit interface, you can play FairPlay AAC files but not FairPlay MP4. This policy seems rather arbitrary to me, but I guess that video, unlike audio, can always be fetched back at 100% quality from the display, whereas audio can not.

I spent quite some time trying to crack it last winter, but then I got a job and had to give up on it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
HiRez said:
I loved Chrystar and Flag Day!! The release dates listed are 1994 and 1995 which is pretty odd since I'm almost positive I remember running those on my Mac Plus (which I still had in 1995 but I would have thought the apps were older). I remember being memsmerized by it, especially at the incredible speed at which it ran. I assumed it had to be written in 68k assembler.

Yep, parts were in 68k assembly... otherwise in C.

Written on a Mac IIsi

arn

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Catfish_Man said:
Orbital (no longer developed, but works ok)

Cool. Hours of fun. :)

The interface was a bit finicky, but it was fun trying to create a semi-stable solar system. I managed to do 3 planets and a sun, but with 4 I couldn't get them to stay in near circular orbits (through trial and error). It's cool the way two planets that collide create a bigger planet.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Catfish_Man said:
Orbital (no longer developed, but works ok)

Myko Games (no longer developed, no longer works)

Adium
*hugs Adium* I love Adium, its the best, just the absolute best. very little memory usage, very quick, and extremely sleek. Anyways I wanted to give you guys an update on my application. I'm going to use predefined graphics from RPG Maker 2000. So here's my little app, yes the characters are small, don't worry, all this will be fixed with time. Anyways, hope you enjoy the small animation I made, good luck, and I'll post on updates.

.... uhh I need to find a server to upload it to.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Here's two screenshots of my moveable sprite, if you can see it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 261
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.