Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacScoop/MacOSXRumors believes that an 8-core Mac Pro is currently on track for a January release. In addition, the sites' sources indicate that a 4-core configuration may be left in Apple's lineup at a lower price point.

AppleInsider has previously indicated that development on the systems has been complete for some time and that a release was expected this year. While details on the upgraded machines remain scarce, some were reportedly able to upgrade their Mac Pros to Clovertown CPUs without incident, indicating that research and development on Clovertown-based Mac Pros may not need to be extensive if the CPU is only being upgraded.

Also mentioned was the possibility of a simultaneous release of refreshed displays. We had previously reported that new displays perhaps would be released in or around MacWorld with built-in iSights, and MacScoop continues to believe that the new displays will also support HDMI. MacScoop also hints that the 23" model may be refreshed with a 24" model, and a larger display may also debut. Of interest, Macsimmum news had recently reported that a 50" monitor may be planned for "early 2007".

The exact timing of the events is unknown, but readers should note that MacWorld is traditionally a consumer event. However, if rumors of Apple releasing larger displays with HDMI capability are true, the line between professional and consumer (iTV connectivity?) could be blurred.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'd say the displays are possible, except the 50 inch monster. And I'd give the thumbs up to new processors, especially if it'll drive the prices of previous models down

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
These two products and iTV along with previews of Leopard may be the only new things to report at MW. Everyone is expecting the iPhone or the true video iPod, but Steve will most likely focus on iTV and Leopard. The new screens and bigger desktops will compliment the great features of Leopard and eventual release of PS3.

The MacBooks and iMacs are selling well enough along with the iPods that this MW will be geared to the professionals.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Oh, man...

...this is going to be awsome!

MacRumors is going to load so freakin' fast with 8 cores and it'll look so good at 50" -- I can't wait to upgrade my MR experience! :D

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hmm, lets see...

If the 8 Core models can bring down a 4 Core model to $2000, that would mean we could see a MP refurb for around $1700, maybe? If that were the case, then one is definitely within my means. It's when a computer breaks the $2K, $2500, and $3K (w/ display) that I start to think there's no way I can afford one before college.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Are 8 cores actually efficient? It seems like the more cores would deliver diminishing returns since the computer now needs to manage 8 seperate cores.

Let me guess; you don't do much rendering or intensive processing?

-mark

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

-mark

the apps have to be coded to see and utilize all those cores. 99% are not.

One of Leopard's new features may be that it is "core aware" of up to 8 cores. (Steve probably made it aware of up to 16 but won't tell us :D )

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I can rip 4 DVD's at once now! WooHoo!! I've ripped DVD's and converted movies with iSquint at the same time on a 4 core, 2.66GHz 4GB MacPro and not maxed out all the cores. I'm not being snarky, but I don't know if anything outside of Renderman or a Slashdot server needs 8 cores yet.

Of course, Apple will now release Aperture 2 which will require a petaflop of processing power to launch the splash screen and I'll be made the fool.

-mark

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Bring on the 8 Core, and the 50"

I'll Tell The 8 Core In Novembrer Thread to come over here. Hopefully this time won't be another false alarm. ;)

I sure hope it has Stoakley-Seaburg inside. I'm wary of one without it.

BTW, I would buy a 50" monitor for sure. In any event all the displays need new Cold Cathode Florescent Lamps (CCFL) for a 92% Color Gamut so print can lose their CRTs.

I am here from the 8 Core Thread.

This is mac nirvana for print, web and video work I do. I want both.

Yes we need Stoakly-Seaburg to make Octo effective and efficient.

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002

Most people do not have just one app running. Heck, look at the number of processes running on your OS X box right now. 8 cores can be used by most people and won't be a waste.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Woah... Eight cores in a Mac Pro in JANUARY??? I mean, two whole Clovertown chips? That's insane! MacScoop and MacOSXRumors are really sticking their necks out this time.

Seriously, in my opinion the only thing rumourworthy about 8-core Mac Pros is if they AREN'T released at MWSF2007. They should have been released weeks ago, and Apple had better be giving "Multimedia" his Stoakley/Seaburg goodness to keep us all waiting this long.

50" screen? HAHAHA! That is all I have to say.

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
They HAVE to update the displays soon because the 23" panel (LG LM230WU3) used in the 23" Apple Cinema Display is being discontinued in favor of the new 24" panel (LG LM240WU1), which means they have to switch panels. There's also a new 26" panel (LG LM260WU1) with better specs, but I don't know if Apple will use that one. There's also a new 30" panel (LG LM300WQ1) with better specs (1000:1 contrast ratio, 92% NTSC color gamut), which the HP LP3065 and the Dell 3007WFP-HC are already using, so it seems logical that Apple will be next. The 20" will probably just get a brightness upgrade. I don't think Apple will release a display larger than 30", but who knows. If they do, it will probably use a 1920x1080 panel. I don't know of any panels larger than 30" with a higher resolution.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Go Read The 8 Core In November Thread To Catch Up

One of Leopard's new features may be that it is "core aware" of up to 8 cores. (Steve probably made it aware of up to 16 but won't tell us :D )
You might want to go over to the 557 post 8 Core Mac Pro In November Thread to help yourself learn more about why 8 cores are practical and needed now. It's more about running a lot of stuff simultaneously or multiples of one intensive rendering or compressing application than it is using one that needs all 8. I'm sure Steve will explain it well enough when the time comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.