Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
True...

But 2mp is plenty for snapshots which is what phones are good for anyway. You can put 10 megapixels in a phone and it'll still only be good for snapshots.

Nope, cuz 2 megapixels is nothing to write home about.

calpundit

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Ringtones

In demonstrating how to change ringtones, the video only demonstrates how to move between the phone's built-in ringtones.

Unless I missed it, there's nothing to indicate the ability to set a song as a ringtone.

Has there been anything publicized about the iPhone to suggest that you can use your iPod music as a ringtone?

For me, it's not a huge deal, but a lot of people like to set music as their ringtone. It would be a shame if you bought a song from iTunes, then had to pay for it again as a ringtone.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
re the 16 apps - watch the video closely again.
He circles the area that is the home screen (12 app section), then says from 'here' you can use any one of the 16 apps. Then goes on to talk about the bottom.

I'm choosing to believe 4 more apps. :)

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Nope, cuz 2 megapixels is nothing to write home about.

When we're talking about tiny lenses, megapixels has very little to do with image quality. In fact, you really don't want more than 2.

The more pixels you pack into a tiny CCD, each pixel sensor gets smaller and less light gets to each pixel. To make up for that and make the image brighter, the camera has to bump up the ISO speed, making the image grainier. You really don't want more than 2 megapixels in a camera of that size.

Also, you wouldn't see the drawbacks of a 2 megapixel (that's a 1600x1200 image) on either the 320x480 iPhone, or this video, or even most computers.

Yes, the quality of the iPhone camera has yet to be seen, but 2 megapixels tells us nothing.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
re the 16 apps - watch the video closely again.
He circles the area that is the home screen (12 app section), then says from 'here' you can use any one of the 16 apps. Then goes on to talk about the bottom.

I'm choosing to believe 4 more apps. :)

Exactly, that's what lead me to believe the same thing. :) He never indicated the bottom four applications, just the top "16" in the home screen.

PokezoN

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
The two fingers tapping is SWEET !

and deleating by flicking your finger.. aww lol .. and i thought they lost it after WWDC..

i love apple

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
In demonstrating how to change ringtones, the video only demonstrates how to move between the phone's built-in ringtones.

Unless I missed it, there's nothing to indicate the ability to set a song as a ringtone.

Has there been anything publicized about the iPhone to suggest that you can use your iPod music as a ringtone?

For me, it's not a huge deal, but a lot of people like to set music as their ringtone. It would be a shame if you bought a song from iTunes, then had to pay for it again as a ringtone.
Earlier in the year there was a screen grab going around of iTunes with a Ringtones tab in the iPod synching section. Speculation was that Apple will sell Ringtones through iTunes, so allowing songs to be used seems unlikely :(

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Did you guys miss the obvious?

In the first half of the movie, the demonstrator mentions that you can use any of the other functions of the phone DURING a phone call.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to look something up for someone only to be lock out of that feature during a call. Browsing the web, or photo albums during a call is really cool.

A multitasking cell phone, cool.

Are we still speculating on even more features? Well, I'm with the camera/button people on the bottom of the phone to be used for video conferencing. That's just too cool a feature for Steve Jobs to have passed up.

Al

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, 2 good megapixels (which I'm not really expecting) would be a lot to write home about.

I think it will probably be better than par for cell phones, but not close to what you'd get out of a dedicated digicam.

When we're talking about tiny lenses, megapixels has very little to do with image quality. In fact, you really don't want more than 2.

The more pixels you pack into a tiny CCD, each pixel sensor gets smaller and less light gets to each pixel. To make up for that and make the image brighter, the camera has to bump up the ISO speed, making the image grainier. You really don't want more than 2 megapixels in a camera of that size.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
Earlier in the year there was a screen grab going around of iTunes with a Ringtones tab in the iPod synching section. Speculation was that Apple will sell Ringtones through iTunes, so allowing songs to be used seems unlikely :(

Im sure it won't take long to make an AAC file with the correct metadata to make itunes think its a ringtone :D

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Calling John Appleseed

I wonder what would come up if we called Mr. John Appleseed

408-550-3542

hmm...

Any takers?

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
That "End Call" button is right where my cheek would be....they didn't say if the touch screen is disabled when talking. Anyone know if this is how it will work?

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
Gee... Apple is really goin nuts over this thing. :)

A big joke among Nintendo fans is that the DS prints money. This will do the same for apple.

I am very impressed with the Maps app. You really don't need a GPS with all it can do imo.

I think my wife is finally on the bandwagon. After watching the guided tour with me she said "when you look at this vs buying a GPS, cell phone, iPod, and PDA, the iPhone is really a deal.":D

mac.life

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
NYC
Everyone gets myopic here...

He calls it a mobile phone. Is that unusual in the states?

No, not usual in all places.

Yes, 'mobile phone' fits the category of device, but most people I interact with simply call it a cell or cell phone (i.e: a mobile phone that works on 'cell networks' (vs. the prior technology mobile radio networks that existed before "cell" technology) that pass you from one "cell" to another as you move from location to location.

Some folks do call it a mobile, as in, "Call me on my mobile." But most will tell you to call them on their cell.

(Just some nonsense to think about as we ALL wait to touch a real iPhone!):p

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
That "End Call" button is right where my cheek would be....they didn't say if the touch screen is disabled when talking. Anyone know if this is how it will work?

Already confirmed from launch day... When the phone is held up to the face, the proximity sensor disables the touch screen.

doh... little late on the response :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.