Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
After watching that video I can definately say...

Your favorite phone sucks. Unless its an iPhone.

I can understand why they're charging so much when you can get so much out of it.

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
The demonstrator stopped short of scrolling through all the settings, possibly to hide some undisclosed features?

Also has anyone else noticed that the square in the home button is the same shape and size of the built in isight cameras on the imac, macbook, and macbooks pros? Could there possibly be an ichat camera hidden in plain sight all this time? :)

It's possible; In the video, they didn't demo the camera feature. But, on the other hand, why would one thing have two purposes (a camera and button)

The reason cameras are placed on the backs of non-flip phones was so one person, "the operator" , can take a picture of someone else/people while they ("the operator") can see the screen.

If the camera was in the front, the back would be pretty boring (well, not really, there is an Apple logo there) and then the "the operator" would have a tough time trying to take a picture of the other person(s). But if the camera were on the front, it would be easier for the operator to take a picture of themself.

I predict that the camera will stay the same. But who knows? (besides Steve and his "inner circle" :p )
It would be really cool if there were a camera on the front and back.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
anyone else notice that the fish wallpaper wasn't listed when he went into settings... i liked that background.
This makes me want one even more.... way to go apple marketing ;)

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I hope with the release of leopard that the iphone coverflow will also work with your contacts, and email... :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Color blind people may have trouble with the red used to differentiate phone messages, and the red used to show traffic problems. No sign of color preferences in the Settings, but we didn't see all of the Settings.

Hopefully they can distinguish it from black, though--as long as it looks gray or brown or something other than black it should do the job. But additional accessibility options would be great.

The spokesman said "we" so he's (pretending to be?) an Apple employee, not a third-party like a model or an ad agency worker.

Now you're making suspicious that some of the company reps in TV ads might be actors :p

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
Lots of new istuff :)

There was plenty of new stuff to see. You can view Word and Excel documents, the content of the elusive settings button was finally shown, we heard more ringtones, airplane mode, etc. We finally see how to turn the iphone off completely, a new gesture for deleting unwanted content with the quick finger swipe to the right and also a zoom out with the double-finger tap in google maps. Driving directions and traffic. A nice teaser.

All we're missing now is a full version of ichat, syncing with google address book and calendars, some more widgets like white/yellow pages, flight tracker, that nifty package tracker, dictionary/theasuraus (see i spelt it wrong), and a unit converter, oohh and translator and wikipedia. Some version of iWork compatible with office and of course compatibility with blackberry servers for those who need it.

Am I missing anything? besides 3G and GPS of course

End of rant

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's a well-done tour video.

My observations:
He said "Favorites is a great way to speed dial someone with just one tap." Then he showed how you do it, with three taps! (You tap Favorites, then +, then Johnny Appleseed.)​

Three taps to add Johnny Appleseed as a favorite...but to call you only need two taps (tap favorites then the name).

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Yes Now a Need to have One

I work for AT&T and have been thinking about getting one - but after seeing that 20 min video that want is turning into a "need!":) :) :) :apple:

Yep, this phone will pay for itself in one year.

It destroys my Blackberry Pearl in all aspects.

Now I am going to stand in line.

Before this demo I could care less.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Is the internet accessible where ever you are? That's what the maps demo made it sound like.
Yes, using EDGE.

Well it does feature turn-by-turn directions just like a GPS.
Not exactly. A GPS would know exactly where you were and give you turn by turn directions as your drove. With the iPhone you need to enter a starting location and continually tell the iPhone to advance to the next step.

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Watch again. It's confusing because he says it's easy to speed dial with one tap. Then he proceeds to demonstrate not FAVORITES but calling from the address book. When he moves to favorites, it's one tap.

And obviously the tap where you choose favorites doesn't count!

It's a well-done tour video.

My observations:
He said "Favorites is a great way to speed dial someone with just one tap." Then he showed how you do it, with three taps! (You tap Favorites, then +, then Johnny Appleseed.)​

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Thank God, we've learned that it syncs with Outlook (in some capacity), vibrates, reads Word and Excel files, and has an airplane mode. I feel like a weight is off my shoulders. Ahhhh...:)

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
after posting that video i'm surprised AAPL has still dropped today. how can you watch that and not be drooling by the end. i completely forget every gripe i had about the phone before today. 7 days is too long. that phone is iNcredible.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Not exactly. A GPS would know exactly where you were and give you turn by turn directions as your drove. With the iPhone you need to enter a starting location and continually tell the iPhone to advance to the next step.

Sure, you need to have a starting location and a destination location, but it does provide turn by turn directions, although it doesn't know where you are. However it's better than not having turn by turn directions at all!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
All those features are great, but i'm wondering how the sensitivity of the screen performs during real life use. I think I may go to the launch just to play with it and hang with my fellow Applephiles :)

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Wow, I just got to the point where he said "scroll back" through the voicemail!!! That will be awesome for long or confusing voicemails. This means you can probably scroll forward too. Sweet.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Dang, it looks like you can't select your own ringtone... unless there's some option in a forthcoming iTunes that lets you add your own.

Very cool about the Excel and Word doc reading!

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
I hope with the release of leopard that the iphone coverflow will also work with your contacts, and email... :D

that would be really cool (contacts anyway.. can't see it being overly useful for email..

All we're missing now is .....

syncing with google address book and calendars
look @ http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/getready.html
it supports Yahoo! Address book, and GMail (along with the others) email. im sure Google Contacts wont be far off..

MonkeyClaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Asheville, NC
It's possible; In the video, they didn't demo the camera feature. But, on the other hand, why would one thing have two purposes (a camera and button)

The reason cameras are placed on the backs of non-flip phones was so one person, "the operator" , can take a picture of someone else/people while they ("the operator") can see the screen.

If the camera was in the front, the back would be pretty boring (well, not really, there is an Apple logo there) and then the "the operator" would have a tough time trying to take a picture of the other person(s). But if the camera were on the front, it would be easier for the operator to take a picture of themself.

I predict that the camera will stay the same. But who knows? (besides Steve and his "inner circle" :p )

I think what he was suggesting is that there are 2 cameras. The standard in the back, and one in the home button for video conferencing. That little white square looks just like an iSight, and coincidently, during the MWSF keynote, I even commented on that to a friend. But who knows!

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007

I think you're missing the point. What rdrr was talking about was the possibility of an iChat camera, in ADDITION to the camera in back. So, the camera in back would be for taking still pictures, just like in any other cell phone camera, but the camera in front would be used as an iSight camera for video conferencing ala iChat. This of course would be used to show video of yourself, just like in iChat. It wasn't one REPLACING the other, it's just in addition to the other. One for a still camera, one for a video camera. I personally don't think this is going to happen (especially with using EDGE as opposed to a 3G system - but should work fine in WiFi mode), but hey, we can all wish can't we. I sure as heck would be loving it if it did happen. Maybe in version 2.0. Maybe . . . .

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I put the video on my AppleTV to watch it, was kinda fun. I gotta say though, I am rather impressed. Just like OS X, its flexible, smooth and the interface makes sense.

Anyone notice the dates and times ? The time never changes ... its always 9:42am. All of the email shows 6/15/2007, and in one screen it showed last updated 6/22/2007. Either they planned this ahead and knew when they would release it, or they shot it this morning.

I almost didn't watch the video. Now that I have, I can't wait to get it. This thing is going to fscking rock :D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Very cool about the Excel and Word doc reading!

i wish you can edit them, i wonder if you can copy and paste the text into an an email for editing. Then you can email it to have someone in the office put it into a word document.

Also i was thinking about it, you can sync your photos and use them as a background i guess you can make your own custom background in PS and just save it as a photo and sync...
I guess where going to have to start a new thread everyone month "post your iphone wallpaper" ;)

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
The Infamous Keyboard

Apple clearly made a point in the video to address the dreaded keyboard issue that has been the biggest complaint so far.

1. They showed initially typing with one index finger. Pretty fast.
2. They show typing with two thumbs. Faster still.
3. Then they note that after some time typing will be fast (if you learn to trust the correcting keyboard).

And who said being all thumbs was a bad thing. Typing with two thumbs looked pretty fast to me. And just wait until the kids get their hands on this phone, they will be able to fly like you cannot imagine.

Okay, let's finally put the keyboard rumors to sleep. The horizontal keyboard will certainly be in the first software update in a few weeks. The only reason they didn't put it in initially was that they didn't think they needed it.

The real beauty of the iPhone is that elegant little enhancements like adding a horizontal keyboard are just an update away. And free to boot. Try updating your Blackberry after the purchase. Not going to happen.

All I can say is WOW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.