Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Things you will need
  • A Mac
  • Decent DVD burner, DL is best
  • A clean Leopard disc or official dmg
  • A decent image manipulator, Carbon Copy Cloner or disc utility
  • Darwin Ports with xar installed, if running Tiger or below. Don't need this if running Leopard.
  • Terminal knowledge, helps, but I will give commands too. Mainly don't be afraid to do some things manually.
  • Patience

Step 1: Setup
In 10.5 Apple has changed their package type to xar, unfortunately it is not built into Tiger. Luckily an opensource app called Darwin Ports, has ports of all sorts of open source things. I will detail this section more later for those having trouble. I ran into a problem, but I don't remember how I solved it, basically the package update wouldn't run. If someone runs into it, I will let them know how to fix it. (This turned out to be the C compiler)

Install Darwin Ports. Installation instructions are on the page after you download.
  • Download from here: http://darwinports.com/download/
  • Run the installer
  • I found that a restart was good at this point
  • Run terminal and type the following
    Code:
    sudo port -d selfupdate
  • The darwin ports install should be complete now.

*NOTES* If you get the following error: "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH," this is because you have no compiler. This is the issue I ran into and I realized I hadn't installed XCODE on this Mac. I have the disk from my developer tools so I installed it from there. You can also get it here: Developer Tools

Next you will need to install xar, the installation instructions are on the linked page.
  • If everything went well with the DarwinPorts installation continue with this
  • In Terminal type
    Code:
    sudo port install xar
  • Depending on the speed of the Mac this may take some time since it needs to get the dependencies and compile
  • If everything goes without error you have successfully installed XAR
There is a report that the new XCODE includes Xar. I did not find this to be true in my test. I will talk with Tupring to get a description on that process. For now, I recommend this method, at least until I can do further testing.

Also, install Carbon Copy Cloner, you can get this here. CCC

Now you are ready for the fun, assuming everything is working!

Step 2: Make a new image
Use your disc or dmg to create a sparse image, this will maintain the disc contents with block level copying, it will also make your image write-able. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to make the sparse image. Carbon Copy Cloner is pretty straight forward, on the left side choose "Restore from disk image" and on the right choose "New disk image." You will get a dialog select the location for the image and give it a name. Further be sure to select the read and write option. Then run the clone. CCC is actually heaps faster than FreeDMG anyhow.

Now, once you have the new dmg. Get info on it, expand the Ownership and Permission section and be sure to set yourself up to have read and write access. (you will need to authenticate with the lock).

This process worked like a charm for me when I tested it on 10-26-2007. This is one of the definite routes to take. See the following to get an idea of what I sorta know. I apologize for not being able to test every option and honestly when I made the guide i had fumbled through the whole process myself. I reinstalled Tiger however to make this guide better. :)

This relates to number 6, which I know some people have had trouble with. I did too, and tons of it. To be honest, I don't remember the exact way I ended up doing it. I am testing out better methods to make this work better. Here are some things I know and don't know.

1. FreeDMG does not work for doing this.
2. CCC may work for doing this, it is also faster
3. Burning the original DMG to disk and using diskutil to make a read-write image may work as well, it would be nice to cut out the burning step.
4. Not also that Diskutil has a converting option. In my tests this did not work, however it could have been my source DMG.

I will stress here the idea of having a clean DMG/Disk. If you have a Leopard disk, I strongly advise creating an image from it in diskutil or possibly CCC.

Step 3: Bust it open!
If you are good with terminal, copy the following file from the mounted image (/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg somewhere so you can work on it (Desktop works well), for those not so good, you can use this terminal command which is useful anyway! I have found that depending on the build version or dmg you have, it may or may not show the folders. If it does show it, you don't have to do this next step.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles True
Followed by
Code:
Killall Finder

This will show all hidden files. To change it back, simply change the value to False and kill the Finder. Now, go into to the DMG, you should see some new stuff in there. You want to navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, copy this file to the desktop.

Now create a folder called package on the Desktop. Fire up terminal again, navigate to the package folder. You should be at the home directory by default so you can type the following:

Code:
cd desktop/package

Now comes the fun part. Type the following:
Code:
xar -x -v -f ~/Desktop/OSInstall.mpkg

If this fails, there is a problem with your xar installation. I will work with you to troubleshoot this. If it works you should see some files being extracted to the package folder. Great!

Step 4: Hack that code!
Now, if you made it here we are getting close. Now, go into the package folder you made. You should see a file called Distribution. Good, back it up somewhere and then open the original with Textedit. You should now see some wonderful code. You want to pay attention to this part of the script (changed to GM version):

Code:
 var minRam = 512;

function checkSupportedMachine(machineType){
		// Fail on G3
		if (1 != system.sysctl('hw.vectorunit') ) {
			return false;
		}

var badMachines = ['MacBook3,1','iMac','PowerBook1,1','PowerBook2,1', 'AAPL,Gossamer', 'AAPL,PowerMac G3', 'AAPL,PowerBook1998', 'AAPL,PowerBook1999'];

if(machineType){
			var length = badMachines.length;

// Fail if any of the compatible values match the list of badMachines
			for( var j = 0; j < length; j++ ){
				if(machineType == badMachines[j]){
						return false;
				} 

}

}

// require 867Mhz+
		if (system.sysctl("hw.cpufrequency") < 866000000) {
			return false;	
		}

return true;
	}

Now, you can probably see where you need to make edits. First take a look at the G3 section. You can simply change it to return true, if you need to install on a G3. It has been said that you still can't install on a G3, I have no way to test this at the moment. I have to wonder though, why even add a section about G3s if it was just not an option (as in you couldn't even boot the disk as some have said). Same goes for the badMachines section. Or you can also simply remove the "bad machines" you have.

Now comes the cpu speed.

Code:
if (system.sysctl("hw.cpufrequency") < xxx000000) {
return false;

Where 'xxx' is the minimum processor speed. I have a DP 500 (which makes no difference, it is still seen at 500Mhz), so I changed mine to 499. I don't think you will gain any advantage by dropping it lower than the speed you need, other than having a disc that can be used on any Mac if you drop it to say, 0Mhz, although I would do 1Mhz as 0 may cause a problem.

Simple changing the false to a true will also work here. And is probably a more elegant solution throughout. I actually think removing the entire section would be the best solution. However, I have not tested this theory. My concern is that something else is there to be sure these things have returned values. Until we get a test on this, I am more inclined to say the section should remain in place, but simply be edited.

You can also edit the RAM and anything else really. Just be sure what you are doing will help you in some way ;)

Now, save the document and exit textedit.

Step 5: Wrap it up
Now we are going to reverse the step 3 by repackaging the altered contents. Hop back into terminal and type the following:

Code:
xar -c ./ -v -f ~/Desktop/NewOSInstall.mpkg

And just like that, you should have a new package on your desktop.

Step 6: New mpkg placement
Now that we have a new mpkg, navigate back to the /System/Installation/Packages folder. Rename the old OSInstall.mpkg, I usually do OSInstall.mpkg.old, Finder will ask if you want to append the new extension, say yes. Now, drop in the NewOSInstall.mpkg, rename it to OSInstall.mpkg.

You now have a disc image ready.

I know there have been some problems with this. Admittedly I also had a big problem with this part. My solution was to burn the dmg to DVD, then rip it back. Again, I also think this is largely related to the integrity of the original image you are working with. If you are working with a torrent or slightly modified image, it won't work so well. If you are working with a clean image and or ripping from DVD, the sparseimage should work flawlessly (pending you set permission properly). I am in the process of making this an easier and more clear process.

Step 7: Resizing the image for SL-DVD (optional)
Coming soon!

Step 8: Burn it baby!
Now it is time to burn the image to a DVD. You can do one of two things, burn the sparseimage or make a read only cd master out of the image. I originally made a cdr image, but that didn't work too well. Burning the sparseimage worked best for me. Your mileage may vary. Note though, my DVD burner is a max 4x. (EDIT: I got a new burner, 20x woot!) Anyhow, try the sparseimage out, if that doesn't work try to make a read only image.

You can use diskutil to burn the image.

Step 9: The true test
Now you have the DVD. Lets boot it up. You will know right away whether or not it worked. You will get the message right away. If so, you possibly made a mistake somewhere. Once you get to actual menu to install Leopard you are home free!

Some have been getting kernel panics when the disk is loading, here is what some have said will work.

Add:
AppleCore99PE.kext
AppleMLANAudio.kext

Replace:
AppleMPIC.kext
ApplePMU.kext

When I get the GM, I will be sure to see what happens on mine without changing the kexts. Power Mac G4, DP 500, Gigabit.

Edits to come:
  • Screen shots
  • More detailed terminal commands
  • Troubleshooting tips
  • I will turn this into a printable PDF with screenshots in the coming week(s)
  • Resizing for SL-DVD

Have fun!

Attachments

• leopard.jpg
    leopard.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,817

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
wow nice job, cause of you i have a way to install Leopard on my DA 533 (going to be upgraded sometime)

what are your GBE specs ( i know DP 500mhz), and how good does it run.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Thanks!

My specs are:
DP 500
1GB of RAM PC100, going to go to 1.5GB soon
Radeon 9000 Pro, 64MB, supports Quartz
40GB crappy original hard drive, going upgrade that soon.
DVD Burner 4x (SLOW!!!)

So far it seems fine. I recently got a wired mighty mouse for free, but the side buttons are so freakin sensitive, way more so than my BT mighty mouse. So I keep launching expose and it makes me frustrated!!! Other than that, which has nothing to do with Leopard it seems fine. The Time Machine backup daemon is a monster. Don't plan on doing much when that is going.

I did an archive and install. I think a full install would be better. I don't have the means to do that right now. Maybe this weekend. This also isn't the GM, so that might have an affect.

When I get the final copy next week, I will do this again and report back on the process. Overall though, I think it is great, although I can't wait to get my hands on the final build.

Good luck! If you have questions or problems, please feel free to ask. I am going to try to touch the guide up over the weekend.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
nice specs, and glad to see its running good

right now my DA is
singe 533mhz
768mb ram
Geforce 2 MX
40GB HDD
Pioneer DVR-110D

its going to be (eventually)
Dual 7455 1.4ghz (fastmac)
1.5gb ram
Reference 6800 GT
120GB HDD
Pioneer DVR-110D

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I think I'll stick with imaging off a faster PowerPC Mac.

It's a great guide though suneohair.

I would rather have a Master disc that could do it all. So I can do fresh installs as opposed to imaging. Imaging is a good solution as well. But I would rather get rid of the problem as opposed to working around it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I would rather have a Master disc that could do it all. So I can do fresh installs as opposed to imaging. Imaging is a good solution as well. But I would rather get rid of the problem as opposed to working around it.
Well I have 30 machines, a load of settings, and applications to push. :rolleyes:

I'm going to pick the image. :D

23 GB in 12 minutes.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Well I have 30 machines, a load of settings, and applications to push. :rolleyes:

23 GB in 12 minutes.

Oh yeah, in that sort of enviroment, I can't blame you. We push it the same way at my Uni. At home though, I don't see a need. I will probably have a master image though. It was still fun to hack it up! :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Oh yeah, in that sort of enviroment, I can't blame you. We push it the same way at my Uni. At home though, I don't see a need. I will probably have a master image though. It was still fun to hack it up! :D
Hacking is fun but I'm considering making an image for home as well since it's just so fast.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio

23 GB in 12 minutes.

WOW, that is allot of machines. no wonder why you are sticking with the image way, i can just see how long it will take to install (from DVD) to each machine, that would take allot of coffee

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Hacking is fun but I'm considering making an image for home as well since it's just so fast.

My mood may change when I get that Mac Pro... I will push out images just for the fun of it! Lol.

EDIT: I suppose this method is for people in a situation like me. A person who doesn't have another Mac to do an image with. Only a slow bugger :p

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
I am having a little trouble. According to the directions for Installing xar, I need to go to /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/xar in Terminal, but that directory does not exist. I have /opt/local/bin with no directories in /bin, only some files. How do I install xar?

jrpvt

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2005
Philadelphia
I am having a little trouble. According to the directions for Installing xar, I need to go to /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/xar in Terminal, but that directory does not exist. I have /opt/local/bin with no directories in /bin, only some files. How do I install xar?

Yeah I can't get the terminal install to work right. 'sudo port -d selfupdate' loads all the packages but i'm getting an error that says theres "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".

Any suggestions?

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Yeah I can't get the terminal install to work right. 'sudo port -d selfupdate' loads all the packages but i'm getting an error that says theres "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".

Any suggestions?
I got that same message first and then realized that you need the Developer Tools (Xcode) installed first. (I think you actually only need to install gcc, which is the compiler that Terminal uses but I opted to install all the Dev Tools because I know I'll need them down the road.) After that the self-update works, but now I'm stuck at the next step… Trying to get xar to install. If you don't have Xcode, it can be downloaded from Apple at…
http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
If you have any luck please let me know…
P.S. This may be useful to some http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37282&st=0&p=265358&#entry265358

iSpud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
This may help some

After you install DarwinPorts as well as XCode for the compilers...

type 'sudo port -d selfupdate' in terminal

This will update DarwinPorts

I ran 'sudo port install xar' in the terminal window without specifying a path and it ran fine. It took a while on my iBook G4 800.

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Nice guide. :)

Does this approach generally also work with installers for things like iMovie?
To install them yes, but not to actually run them. I tried using the new Preview.app in Tiger and it won't work, even after editing it's .plist file to lower the minimum supported system version number string. There's something else going on with the Leopard Apps. My guess is Apple didn't check the box to support anything lower than 10.5 when they compiled the updated programs. Also I would like to say that the way I got xar working was to open up Terminal and cd to the folder containing the xar files that are linked to in the guide and then typing:
Code:
./configure
make
make install
After that, the rest was easy. By installing xar this way, it appears you don't need to install MacPorts first but I don't know for sure because I did. I will try removing it and checking if xar still functions without it.

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
There's an easier way that I discovered to edit the Distribution file. Just change "return false" to "return true" and that's it!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
To install them yes, but not to actually run them. I tried using the new Preview.app in Tiger and it won't work...

Ahh, okay, so there are two different issues.

1) Leopard apps use Leopard APIs. So, most of them will not run on Tiger.

2) Certain apps like iMovie refuse to install if you don't have a fast enough computer, even if you have the right OS -- they have all the tools they need to work on that computer except for raw speed.

So I wouldn't expect that you can do anything about (1) short of installing Leopard. I wonder about (2) -- for the small handful of people who are in situations where they feel they can use this software but aren't allowed to....

rumac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
So close yet......

Thanks Suneohair for posting this solution. I'm almost there but for the life of me I just cant seem to be able to change file names or drop files into the sparse dmg! Steps 1-5 went fine.
Finder reports- The item 'NewOSInstall.mpkg could not be moved because 'Packages' cannot be modified.
I had no problem editing and saving the distribution file but finder will not let me modify names or drop the newOSinstall.mpkg into the /System/Installation/Packages folder. Is there some way to do this from terminal or is there something very simple that I'm missing?
Edit: get info on mounted image says I can read/write.....baffled :-( please help

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
1) Leopard apps use Leopard APIs. So, most of them will not run on Tiger...
I found the solution on another forum, you need to copy the framework files too and they work! And for rumac, Were you looking at the Get Info for the Mounted image or the image itself? You might have to change the Owner to yourself instead of System and then change it back afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.