Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
have T-mobile? still in contract? want an iPhone? don't want to pay the $200 early termination fee?

T-mo just upped their text messaging rates from $0.15 to $0.20 - this counts as something they call "materially adverse" and as part of their terms and conditions you can now cancel your service because of this with no ETF within 14 days of the notice.

from the T-mo terms + conditions:

tmobile contract said:
Changes to the Agreement or Charges. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IF WE: (A) INCREASE THE CHARGES INCLUDED IN YOUR MONTHLY RECURRING ACCESS RATE PLAN, OR (B) MODIFY A MATERIAL TERM OF OUR AGREEMENT WITH YOU AND THE MODIFICATION WOULD BE MATERIALLY ADVERSE TO YOU, WE WILL NOTIFY YOU OF THE INCREASE OR MODIFICATION AND YOU CAN CANCEL THAT SERVICE WITHOUT PAYING A CANCELLATION FEE (WHICH IS YOUR ONLY REMEDY) BY FOLLOWING THE CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN THE NOTICE. IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE BY FOLLOWING THOSE INSTRUCTIONS, OR YOU OTHERWISE ACCEPT THE CHANGE, THEN YOU AGREE TO THE INCREASE OR MODIFICATION, EVEN IF YOU PAID FOR SERVICE IN ADVANCE. IF THE NOTICE DOES NOT SAY HOW LONG YOU HAVE TO CANCEL, THEN IT IS WITHIN 14 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE NOTICE, UNLESS A LONGER PERIOD IS REQUIRED BY LAW. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LAW, CHARGES FOR PRODUCTS, SERVICES, OPTIONAL SERVICES, OR ANY OTHER CHARGES THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR MONTHLY RECURRING ACCESS RATE PLAN (SUCH AS DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE, ROAMING, DOWNLOADS, AND THIRD-PARTY CONTENT) ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE, AND IF YOU CONTINUE TO USE THOSE SERVICES, OR YOU OTHERWISE AGREE TO THE CHANGES, THEN YOU AGREE TO THE NEW CHARGES. VISIT OUR WEB SITE, RETAIL LOCATIONS, OR CALL CUSTOMER CARE FOR CURRENT CHARGES.

i just did this. first i went to my local AT+T store and got pre-approved for an iPhone. with that done, i called T-mo, explained to them why i want to cancel with no ETF, and after them trying to pitch me on staying, got my contract terminated on july 21st (the end of my billing cycle) and a note on my account to waive the ETF on the 21st. Porting my number to AT+T before the 21st does not affect the waiving of the ETF. I also made sure to note the time of the call, the name and ID number of the CSR who helped me.

for more info on this, go to this thread on SlickDeals.net.

this is a spinoff of this thread on MR.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah, bad move for T-mobile. I always thought they were innovators, now I see they're just following everyone else.

Funny thing is SMS didn't suddenly get more expensive. It's even getting cheaper to support! T-mo just wanted to add more padding to their coffers :/

Maybe Deutsche-Telekom is influencing them more :eek:

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
yep, i agree. and to be honest i really have been pretty happy with t-mo. but they do not have the iphone and i want the iphone. its odd timing on their part i agree - for me its a "perfect storm" of getting out of t-mo sans ETF, my tax stimulus check coming, and release of the 3G iphone.

no t-mo ETF + tax check + iPhone 3G = happy shecky. on top of which for me 100% of the phone + service is a business write off so its all 20% cheaper :)

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Funny thing is SMS didn't suddenly get more expensive. It's even getting cheaper to support! T-mo just wanted to add more padding to their coffers :

I agree there! I purchased a Side Kick from them when they 1st came out. 20.00 add on for unlimited data AND SMS. In addition, they did not charge extra to send SMS messages to international numbers!

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I did almost this same thing with Verizon a month ago in prepartion for the 3g iPhone. It did take me about an hour and many of the employess I spoke with were not the most polite people but in the end, I saved $175.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.