get out of T-Mobile with no ETF!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shecky, Jul 1, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

have T-mobile? still in contract? want an iPhone? don't want to pay the $200 early termination fee?

T-mo just upped their text messaging rates from $0.15 to $0.20 - this counts as something they call "materially adverse" and as part of their terms and conditions you can now cancel your service because of this with no ETF within 14 days of the notice.

from the T-mo terms + conditions:

i just did this. first i went to my local AT+T store and got pre-approved for an iPhone. with that done, i called T-mo, explained to them why i want to cancel with no ETF, and after them trying to pitch me on staying, got my contract terminated on july 21st (the end of my billing cycle) and a note on my account to waive the ETF on the 21st. Porting my number to AT+T before the 21st does not affect the waiving of the ETF. I also made sure to note the time of the call, the name and ID number of the CSR who helped me.

for more info on this, go to this thread on SlickDeals.net.

this is a spinoff of this thread on MR.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, bad move for T-mobile. I always thought they were innovators, now I see they're just following everyone else.

Funny thing is SMS didn't suddenly get more expensive. It's even getting cheaper to support! T-mo just wanted to add more padding to their coffers :/

Maybe Deutsche-Telekom is influencing them more :eek:

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

yep, i agree. and to be honest i really have been pretty happy with t-mo. but they do not have the iphone and i want the iphone. its odd timing on their part i agree - for me its a "perfect storm" of getting out of t-mo sans ETF, my tax stimulus check coming, and release of the 3G iphone.

no t-mo ETF + tax check + iPhone 3G = happy shecky. on top of which for me 100% of the phone + service is a business write off so its all 20% cheaper :)

4. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I agree there! I purchased a Side Kick from them when they 1st came out. 20.00 add on for unlimited data AND SMS. In addition, they did not charge extra to send SMS messages to international numbers!

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I did almost this same thing with Verizon a month ago in prepartion for the 3g iPhone. It did take me about an hour and many of the employess I spoke with were not the most polite people but in the end, I saved $175.