Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
From BoltJames (For New iPad Transfers), Uncertain if old do it yourself directions work or not. I will confirm and modify as I validate.
1. Make sure old iPad is powered off, hold off button and use slider to turn off. "Just power on your The New iPad and when the ATT screen comes up use your current email address and password, it'll find your existing unlimited plan, offer you the ability to keep it or change it, select 'keep' and you're done."

2. "Keep both the old and The New iPad powered off, call us at 800-331-0500, ask for the Session Based Data Group, give us your new IMEI and ICCID numbers, we'll make the switch here for you."

3. "Go to some AT&T Move My iPad website (didn't bother to jot down the URL) and enter some information and that'll get you all set." (Probably my directions below)

-----
If you are selling your Unlimited Data Plan, letting the spouse or kids borrow it for a road trip, or wanting to bring your "beater" iPad somewhere, etc, it is easy to transfer your AT&T Unlimited Account from one device to the next without moving micro-SIM cards around or hassling with getting someone from AT&T on the phone.

First you need the IMEI and ICCID information for both devices. There are two ways to get this information. The first is inside the settings of each of the iPads. Go into your Settings Menu, and Turn On your Cellular Data. It does not matter if you do not have account setup, we are just enabling the SIM card information for the next step. Next go into General, and click on About. Scroll down to the bottom and your IMEI & ICCID information is located there (write both of these numbers down). The other way to get this information is to look on the back of your retail box and this information should be listed.

After getting the information for the first device, repeat the above for the second iPad/iPad 2.

The next thing you need is the Account e-mail and password you used when you established the account. This is important because we are going to login to AT&T's site and do this ourselves without hassling AT&T (handy if you want to move the account back and forth between spouses, kids on vacation, etc).

Finally the third thing you will need is a THIRD Device with Internet Access.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! TURN OFF BOTH iPAD/iPAD 2's, IF YOU DO NOT THEN THE IMEI/ICCID WILL NOT UPDATE PROPERLY, YOU WILL GET ERRORS, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EDIT THEM UNTIL THEY ARE BOTH OFF, WHEN YOU DO FINALLY TURN THEM OFF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UPDATE THEM PROPERLY SO THERE IS NO REAL WAY TO SCREW UP WHEN YOU DO FINALLY FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND TURN THEM OFF(Can you tell I spun my wheels with this? Hopefully I have stressed this enough)!!!!

The AT&T iPad Webaddress for Modifications to iPad Accounts is as Follows:
https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Login to the site using your Account e-mail and password.

Click Edit User & Payment Information

Click Update Device Information

Enter your IMEI & ICCID information & click Next

Now Click Logout (no need to edit anything else, but good to visually verify it) & Power up your new TOY!!!
-------------------------
If you do this a lot, you may want to store your IMEI/ICCID information in a text file so you can just copy & paste them in.
Additional features of the website, updating username, phone number, e-mail address, password, billing information, etc. If you have an Unlimited Data Account, it is easy to transfer over to another buyer with either prepaid cards, or meeting in person, exchanging cash & changing the details after meeting up. Seeing as the Unlimited Data plan is a rarity in itself, you may never want to sell it, but each year when you do your taxes, etc, make a note to login and verify your Billing information is accurate in addition to your contact information in case your billing does lapse. If you let it expire for six days, you will never get it back without some seriously heavy luck.

NOTE: After changing billing information (not IMEI/ICCID), it may be necessary at the end of the month to login to the account via iPad and resubscribe to the Unlimited Data Plan if the renewal fails (the option to do so will be on the menu the FIRST time you log in after a failure, so lock yourself in a room and get it right the first time). I think the recurring billing notices when it has changed. I had to do that with both the Unlimited Data Plans/iPads I purchased elsewhere.

Last edited:

miniamber

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
If you are selling your Unlimited Data Plan, letting the spouse or kids borrow it for a road trip, or wanting to bring your "beater" iPad somewhere, etc, it is easy to transfer your AT&T Unlimited Account from one device to the next without moving micro-SIM cards around or hassling with getting someone from AT&T on the phone.

First you need the IMEI and ICCID information for both devices. There are two ways to get this information. The first is inside the settings of each of the iPads. Go into your Settings Menu, and Turn On your Cellular Data. It does not matter if you do not have account setup, we are just enabling the SIM card information for the next step. Next go into General, and click on About. Scroll down to the bottom and your IMEI & ICCID information is located there (write both of these numbers down). The other way to get this information is to look on the back of your retail box and this information should be listed.

After getting the information for the first device, repeat the above for the second iPad/iPad 2.

The next thing you need is the Account e-mail and password you used when you established the account. This is important because we are going to login to AT&T's site and do this ourselves without hassling AT&T (handy if you want to move the account back and forth between spouses, kids on vacation, etc).

Finally the third thing you will need is a THIRD Device with Internet Access.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! TURN OFF BOTH iPAD/iPAD 2's, IF YOU DO NOT THEN THE IMEI/ICCID WILL NOT UPDATE PROPERLY, YOU WILL GET ERRORS, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EDIT THEM UNTIL THEY ARE BOTH OFF, WHEN YOU DO FINALLY TURN THEM OFF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UPDATE THEM PROPERLY SO THERE IS NO REAL WAY TO SCREW UP WHEN YOU DO FINALLY FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND TURN THEM OFF(Can you tell I spun my wheels with this? Hopefully I have stressed this enough)!!!!

The AT&T iPad Webaddress for Modifications to iPad Accounts is as Follows:
https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/

Login to the site using your Account e-mail and password.

Click Edit User & Payment Information

Click Update Device Information

Enter your IMEI & ICCID information & click Next

Now Click Logout (no need to edit anything else, but good to visually verify it) & Power up your new TOY!!!
If you do this a lot, you may want to store your IMEI/ICCID information in a text file so you can just copy & paste them in.
Additional features of the website, updating username, phone number, e-mail address, password, billing information, etc. If you have an Unlimited Data Account, it is easy to transfer over to another buyer with either prepaid cards, or meeting in person, exchanging cash & changing the details after meeting up. Seeing as the Unlimited Data plan is a rarity in itself, you may never want to sell it, but each year when you do your taxes, etc, make a note to login and verify your Billing information is accurate in addition to your contact information in case your billing does lapse. If you let it expire for six days, you will never get it back without some seriously heavy luck.

NOTE: After changing billing information (not IMEI/ICCID), it may be necessary at the end of the month to login to the account via iPad and resubscribe to the Unlimited Data Plan if the renewal fails (the option to do so will be on the menu the FIRST time you log in after a failure, so lock yourself in a room and get it right the first time). I think the recurring billing notices when it has changed. I had to do that with both the Unlimited Data Plans/iPads I purchased elsewhere.

Can you do this with an iphone to Ipad?

Ender17

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
I just did this and now my cellular data isn't showing up on the iPad 2. I had just swapped the sim card and it was working fine before. I already sold the iPad 1.

edit: I put in the new sim card and now it works

what's the point in doing this vs just swapping sim cards? I bet the account will automatically update with the current IMEI and ICCID after a while

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Hmm, I switched my Unlimited Plan over to a 3rd party. There is no real reason to avoid talking to ATT, to make sure it is set up right. They are well aware that the Unlimited plan can easily transfer and many people are doing it with the iPad2.
When I do set up my new iPad2 with a new data plan I'm going to call them to make sure my old account is totally dead.
ps- you wouldn't believe what people are paying to get those little sim chips in their own iPads. kinda crazy, but big users, like Netflixers can save a lot of money without having to pay for cap overages. yikes.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
what's the point in doing this vs just swapping sim cards? I bet the account will automatically update with the current IMEI and ICCID after a while
If audited by AT&T, having the wrong IMEI and ICCID info in a device can warrant cancellation of service. That is one reason to update it either by calling AT&T or by doing it yourself.

Another reason to do it this way is it gives you a reason to double check your account info year to year, or upgrade to upgrade. Do you really want to let your credit card info lapse because you felt swapping sims was easier?

Thirdly, every time you remove and insert a sim card you are placing wear and tear on the gold (soft metal) contacts, in addition to risking static electricity damaging the circuitry in the sim. If you are someone who bounces back and forth a lot, this can render your sim unusable, and you would have to go through the hassle of replacing it.

I am sure there are other reasons, but you have to ask yourself the question...
"What's the point in doing this vs just swapping sim cards?" I answered the reasons on why I would rather do it. Hopefully they give you enough pause to provide you reasons of your own.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I recently did this and works great.

What do you mean by the changing the billing info? I bought my sim from someone on an original iPad to get the unlimited data. Do I need to resubscribe even though my account currently shows unlimited data?

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Can you do this with an iphone to Ipad?

I do not have an iPhone, I do not know what info is available on those accounts but I had read reports that people have used their iPad accounts in iPhones (no cellular service just data), but I had also read that AT&T is aware of what the IMEI & ICCID's belong to what type of devices and can shut them off, not something you want to risk. A lot of people were exploiting the iPad early on to get data plans onto other devices by modifying the sim cards.

If there was a way to go from iPhone to iPad, there would be a lot of new unlimited ipad data plans brought into existence using the old iPhone method to still get grandfathered into the data plan. The iPad is a special beast that took the heavy weight of someone like Apple to bring about the existence of an unlimited data only plan.

All of this type of discussion though borders along the iPad hacks forum. Hope I gave you enough info to get you thinking outside the box a little and understand any risks using you unlimited account in something non-iPadish.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I recently did this and works great.

What do you mean by the changing the billing info? I bought my sim from someone on an original iPad to get the unlimited data. Do I need to resubscribe even though my account currently shows unlimited data?

As long as your billing info has been updated to reflect your name, address, phone, and your credit card which is not close to expiring (so update it if you move, change phones, e-mails, or if your credit card is close to expiring).

That is what I mean by changing the billing.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Bump for the person who asked this same question yet again, sticky please moderators.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
As March the 16th 2012 is soon approaching...

I figured I would remind people how to do this once again. Enjoy your "the New iPad" :apple: AT&T devices! P.S. If someone wants to temporarily sticky this and drop it after the week of the 16th, might save some forum members some heartache. Also, I will confirm my success or failure on Friday and if there are any additional steps needed.

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Is this necessary for the 4G?

My iPad 1 bricked during an update. Brought to Apple Store and they swapped my SIM to the replacement and my unlimited data plan moved over effortlessly. Did not have to log in or do anything else.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Is this necessary for the 4G?

My iPad 1 bricked during an update. Brought to Apple Store and they swapped my SIM to the replacement and my unlimited data plan moved over effortlessly. Did not have to log in or do anything else.

As I understand it, newer SIMs are used for LTE. So, simple SIM swapping won't necessarily work when upgrading from iPads 1 or 2 over to "the new" iPad 3.

I will be following these instructions to a T...

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
As I understand it, newer SIMs are used for LTE. So, simple SIM swapping won't necessarily work when upgrading from iPads 1 or 2 over to "the new" iPad 3.

I will be following these instructions to a T...

Let me know if you have any hiccups, mine was picked up in Nashville a few minutes ago and it's got some time to make it to me to be delivered by 3PM today.

Edit: Never mind, it shows its locally here! Guess I did not get good sleep last night I read it backwards! FedEx so it will be here this morning sometime. Will keep you all informed! This is going to be a fun fun day!

Copying a post from Boltjames from a different thread in case the above has issues:
I spoke to three AT&T reps yesterday in an attempt to get the definitive answer and they (of course) told me three different things:

1. "Just power on your The New iPad and when the ATT screen comes up use your current email address and password, it'll find your existing unlimited plan, offer you the ability to keep it or change it, select 'keep' and you're done."

2. "Keep both the old and The New iPad powered off, call us at 800-331-0500, ask for the Session Based Data Group, give us your new IMEI and ICCID numbers, we'll make the switch here for you."

3. "Go to some AT&T Move My iPad website (didn't bother to jot down the URL) and enter some information and that'll get you all set."

You'd think that with a launch of this magnitude and with so many iPad 1 owners migrating over to the The New iPad that AT&T in their infinite wisdom would have anticipated these questions this week and issued direction to their support staff.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why all this concern about keeping unlimited when the plan is no longer unlimited?

Though not seen in the wild yet, I would suspect that AT&T is going to throttle you at 3 gigs.

I hope they dont....but it seems likely especially on LTE.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Why all this concern about keeping unlimited when the plan is no longer unlimited?

Though not seen in the wild yet, I would suspect that AT&T is going to throttle you at 3 gigs.

Not on the iPad...

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Something to keep in mind, if the 9th and 10th digit of your AT&T Sim Card is 25, it's definitely the newer LTE compatible Sim.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Because the plan IS unlimited. The throttling is not something they're allowed to do for those of us grandfathered (see recent lawsuit).

In my case, it's all about peace of mind. I've never gone over 3GB but if I do I know that I'm not going to wind up on some 'offenders' list. Nothing worse than worrying about data when you're on the web or streaming YouTube.

BJ

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Where did you get that garbage from?

1) ATT's recent policy clarification was in regards to unlimited phone data, not stand-alone devices like the iPad. ATT has specifically said it's not throttling iPad unlimited plans (probably because there are so few of us around anymore to make it worth the bad press they'd get if they did).

2) Fact: the unlimited data plan for phones is still unlimited, it's just limited to 3GB of 3G data. After that it kicks down to 2G. Personally I'd rather have that than have to pay $30 for 3GB of 3G then if I went over have to plunk down another $10. ATT in no way every granted me unlimited <fastest data speed available> for life so I'm happy they are still grandfathering the old unlimited accts. They don't have to do that you know.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Copying a post from Boltjames from a different thread in case the above has issues:

I spoke to three AT&T reps yesterday in an attempt to get the definitive answer and they (of course) told me three different things:

1. "Just power on your The New iPad and when the ATT screen comes up use your current email address and password, it'll find your existing unlimited plan, offer you the ability to keep it or change it, select 'keep' and you're done."

3. "Go to some AT&T Move My iPad website (didn't bother to jot down the URL) and enter some information and that'll get you all set."

You'd think that with a launch of this magnitude and with so many iPad 1 owners migrating over to the The New iPad that AT&T in their infinite wisdom would have anticipated these questions this week and issued direction to their support staff.

You need to either a) stop bumping this thread or b) delete the text of the very first post and replace it with something like "read below".

If someone comes to this thread looking for directions on how to enable the unlimited data plan on his The New iPad, that first post is misleading, unnecessary, and inaccurate. I know you started this thread a year ago and you seem to be proud of it or want your name all over it for some reason; it's not helping.

BJ

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
You need to either a) stop bumping this thread or b) delete the text of the very first post and replace it with something like "read below".

If someone comes to this thread looking for directions on how to enable the unlimited data plan on his The New iPad, that first post is misleading, unnecessary, and inaccurate. I know you started this thread a year ago and you seem to be proud of it or want your name all over it for some reason; it's not helping.

BJ
Uncertain how inaccurate the old directions are until I go through them again on the new iPad. I went ahead and put your information above, but I believe my old directions should still work without any issues as I believe it's the 3rd option you did not care to get the details about. Of the three options, I prefer to do the transfer on my own if possible. The forum keeps getting littered with people not using search trying to figure out how to do it, and I would prefer it be consolidated into one thread where it works.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Worked for me

This worked perfectly for me... Switched over an unlimited plan in a few minutes.

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
This worked perfectly for me... Switched over an unlimited plan in a few minutes.

xxMacxx, that's all you had to do? Just preparing for when I take delivery of my new iPad after work.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
That's it

Yep, that's it. I said I had an existing pla, logged it, unlimited plan was my option already selected, and agreed to terms. It commu incanted with the network for a couple minutes and then I got a message saying it was active. Screen now says LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.