Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
This is a big deal for AT&T customers (the majority of iPhone users) who have ordered an iPhone 5 or will be waiting in line for one tomorrow.

If you buy an AT&T iPhone 5 it's not going to support LTE on any carriers outside of North America!

Don't believe me? See this:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I hope you don't plan on traveling much.

Just one more reason I am fed up with carrier lock-in and am content with waiting for the unlocked version.

Last edited:

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Did you look at the Apple website before you bought it?
I did.
It was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be a "Universal" phone.
Don't get me wrong- I can't stand AT&T (or any of the US carriers for that matter), but this was an Apple decision through and through.

Gangnam Style

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
It will mean that resale to potential buyers will not be as favorable should they want to take it out of the country.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
The same with a Verizon or Sprint iPhone, in fact it won't connect to networks in most countries. At least your AT&T one will.

psblake

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
The Verizon ans Sprint versions will not work at all. The AT&T will work perfectly on everything but the LTE speeds over there. So basically the same speeds as a 4S

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Considering the ridiculous amount of international fees you will be charged, LTE or not, you're better off not using your AT&T iPhone outside of the states.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Did you look at the Apple website before you bought it?
Haven't bought it. As stated above, won't be buying it until the unlocked one is available.

It was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be a "Universal" phone.
Not trying to point out the obvious. Just thought it might not be obvious to a large percentage of customers. And I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

This was an Apple decision through and through.
Seems like a bad one if you ask me.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
This is a big deal for AT&T customers (the majority of iPhone users) who have ordered an iPhone 5 or will be waiting in line for one tomorrow.

If you buy an AT&T iPhone 5 it's not going to support LTE on any carriers outside of North America!

Just one more reason I am fed up with carrier lock-in and am content with waiting for the unlocked version.

How will the unlocked version help you? This doesn't seem to be a problem with the phone being locked to a specific carrier, it's that there are different models with different chips inside.

If you want a phone that will work in Europe, you need a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 5...however that phone will not work in Canada on LTE.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/want-global-lte-roaming-on-iphone-5-dont-buy-it-from-att/

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Considering the ridiculous amount of international fees you will be charged, LTE or not, you're better off not using your AT&T iPhone outside of the states.

Agreed. AT&T international rates are a ripoff.

The difference is that my iPhone 4 has all of the same functionality it did when I was locked into an AT&T contract... but now that my contract is up and AT&T has unlocked it for me I can take it wherever I want, swap the micro SIM, and use it as it was meant to be used.

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England
The same with a Verizon or Sprint iPhone, in fact it won't connect to networks in most countries. At least your AT&T one will.

Wrong.

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html under cellular and Wireless.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA

Except for texting. Last time I was traveling internationally, the AT&T rates for international texting were not all that bad, considering. $50 for sending 500 text messages, which is honestly a bit high, but all incoming texts were just taken out of my USA AT&T text plan, so it worked out.

For data, though, I would definitely recommend renting a 3G or 4G hotspot from a provider in whatever country you're visiting.

EDIT: And then use Skype for any actual voice calls you need to make, through your rented 3G/4G hotspot. Way cheaper than any alternative, whether roaming or through a rented SIM.

Last edited:

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
How will the unlocked version help you? This doesn't seem to be a problem with the phone being locked to a specific carrier, it's that there are different models with different chips inside.

Because shouldn't the unlocked version (when it is released) support ALL bands?
It would be ridiculous for it not to.

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England
At&t uses very odd bands for LTE that are not compatible with Asian and European Carriers.

The LTE standard itself is a mess there are 36 different band that are part of the spec and will be used around the world.

Best bet to get a iPhone that will be able to roam internationally on LTE is to get the CDMA or the international GSM version.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Because I totally want my super expensive data to be SUPERFAST while traveling overseas.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
There's a lot if confusion in this thread.....

You need to think about both LTE bands and CDMA vs GSM

The sprint/Verizon phones may offer LTE bands that are more common in Europe, but we don't use CDMA.

So you need a GSM phone with the right LTE bands to operate in Europe, and such a phone isn't available in the US.

If you do intend to roam, the AT&T model will work up to 3G speeds. The sprint/Verizon one will be useless.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I will check, but with my experience, Verizon phones generally don't work elsewhere, regardless of chip capabilities.

No need to check you are incorrect. I use my verizon iPhone 4s all over Europe. The CDMA model iphone 5 has already been recommend for international travel once again AT&T fanboi's spread lies.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
日本
So you need a GSM phone with the right LTE bands to operate in Europe, and such a phone isn't available in the US.

Right!
And that's why I reached the conclusion that an unlocked iPhone 5 continues to have value (both resale value and practical value), whereas an AT&T iPhone 5 is only valuable to someone who is committed to living in the US or Canada for the duration of their ownership of the phone.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

If you can afford to pay international data roaming, you may as well buy an iPhone for every country you visit...

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
There's a lot if confusion in this thread.....

You need to think about both LTE bands and CDMA vs GSM

The sprint/Verizon phones may offer LTE bands that are more common in Europe, but we don't use CDMA.

If you do intend to roam, the AT&T model will work up to 3G speeds. The sprint/Verizon one will be useless.

Agreed. In fact, everyone here blaming this on a poor Apple decision is also wrong. It's not Apple's decision to exclude anybody. The reason for this mess is the Carrier's inability to agree on one LTE standard that is worldwide. Here in Sweden, LTE has been out for years now but it is an older variant that isn't supported on any of the bands used elsewhere. Telia, the largest carrier in Sweden, is planning to convert to the newer 1800 band next year but until then, we will be forced to use HSPA+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.