Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
iPhone 5S running latest iOS 8 beta.

Retina MacBook Pro (late 2012) running Yosemite DP 3 (latest version).

Call comes in, my iPhone rings, but my Mac rings also. How do I keep my Mac from ringing, other than muting the sound on the Mac?

Thanks in advance,

YoungTurk

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
That's a good question. You could disable it in settings on either your phone or mac but you also disable everything else associated with continuity.

Hopefully they add a subsection where you can turn off certain features.

At least, this is from what I know, I haven't dug around looking for settings or anything. Best of luck.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
That's a good question. You could disable it in settings on either your phone or mac but you also disable everything else associated with continuity.

Hopefully they add a subsection where you can turn off certain features.

At least, this is from what I know, I haven't dug around looking for settings or anything. Best of luck.

funny thing is 'enable handoff' is off on both my iPhone and my Mac.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
funny thing is 'enable handoff' is off on both my iPhone and my Mac.

Try Resetting Settings on your iPhone and turn Handoff on and back off. Worse case scenario you may need to log out of iCloud on one device.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Isn't handoff just sharing between apps on different devices? Answering calls is just called continuity.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Isn't handoff just sharing between apps on different devices? Answering calls is just called continuity.

That. I hope that they provide come control over this. In my setup My phone, my Mac and my iPad all ring every time a call comes in. It's kinda loud.:eek:

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
iPhone 5S running latest iOS 8 beta.

Retina MacBook Pro (late 2012) running Yosemite DP 3 (latest version).

Call comes in, my iPhone rings, but my Mac rings also. How do I keep my Mac from ringing, other than muting the sound on the Mac?

Thanks in advance,

YoungTurk

Open the FaceTime app -> Preferences -> Uncheck your phone number associated with your phone.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
Left my Mac at the office (posting from iPad now). Will check the FaceTime app tomorrow morning.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This is a concern I have. I have no webcam or microphone on my Mac, no interest.

Would be annoying to have calls popping up and making noise from it.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
except that regular calls come in as well. because that's Continuity.

Ok, your not listening. Phone calls use the FaceTime app via continuity. Does that make sense?

For example: i have 2 iPhones and 1 macbook pro. When someone calls one of my iPhones (non FaceTime call) both of my phones ring and so does the the FaceTime app on my mbp.

Basically the FaceTime.app handles the phone calls on in OS X. You dig? Are there anyone else that want to argue with facts? Also all legit dev's know this already. Im just trying to throw the guy or gal a bone.

And another thing. When in doubt search youtube!

Last edited by a moderator:

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Ok, your not listening. Phone calls use the FaceTime app via continuity. Does that make sense?

For example: i have 2 iPhones and 1 macbook pro. When someone calls one of my iPhones (non FaceTime call) both of my phones ring and so does the the FaceTime app on my mbp.

Basically the FaceTime.app handles the phone calls on in OS X. You dig? Are there anyone else that want to argue with facts? Also all legit dev's know this already. Im just trying to throw the guy or gal a bone.

And another thing. When in doubt search youtube!

Okay then you're just using the wrong terminology. Continuity using the FaceTime app to handle the calls is not "FaceTime audio." I'm not sure that adjusting settings for a different part of FaceTime is going to help this person.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Okay then you're just using the wrong terminology. Continuity using the FaceTime app to handle the calls is not "FaceTime audio." I'm not sure that adjusting settings for a different part of FaceTime is going to help this person.

Sorry If I wasn't clear. But I meant phone calls are handled in OS X Yosemite by FaceTime audio.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Call comes in, my iPhone rings, but my Mac rings also. How do I keep my Mac from ringing, other than muting the sound on the Mac

Here's your answer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 252

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Nice. This further proves what I've been saying is correct. As i just changed the setting in OS X FaceTime app to get mine my mbp to stop ringing. This option should work as well.

Actually you're both right, technically.

When the call from the iPhone is sent to the iPad or Mac OS, it's acting as a FaceTime Audio call, so saying that FaceTime Audio is what handles it is technically correct.

However unchecking your number won't stop your Mac/iPad from ringing, it'll just mean if an iPhone user tries to use FaceTime Audio, they won't be able to reach you.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Actually you're both right, technically.

When the call from the iPhone is sent to the iPad or Mac OS, it's acting as a FaceTime Audio call, so saying that FaceTime Audio is what handles it is technically correct.

However unchecking your number won't stop your Mac/iPad from ringing, it'll just mean if an iPhone user tries to use FaceTime Audio, they won't be able to reach you.

Your right. But it does stop "phone calls". Which is what the OP is trying to stop. For me given the choice. If I'm at my desk and i get a face time call with both my iPhone and macbook present. i'd opt to use my macbook to take the call. But thats just my preference.

I also don't understand pointless back and forth from someone that doesn't even understand how the feature works or has tried it themselves. Again, I'm only assuming he hasn't tried the feature from his uneducated posts regarding the OP's initial question.

VSMacOne and myself gave the OP the answers that he needed. While hlfway2anywhere was given proper education on the workings of continuity when handling "phone" calls from OS X Yosemite. My initial post stating that the settings that OP needed to change in order to get his desired outcome were in the FaceTime.app (OS X or iOS) are correct.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Your right. But it does stop "phone calls". Which is what the OP is trying to stop. For me given the choice. If I'm at my desk and i get a face time call with both my iPhone and macbook present. i'd opt to use my macbook to take the call. But thats just my preference.

I also don't understand pointless back and forth from someone that doesn't even understand how the feature works or has tried it themselves. Again, I'm only assuming he hasn't tried the feature from his uneducated posts regarding the OP's initial question.

VSMacOne and myself gave the OP the answers that he needed. While hlfway2anywhere was given proper education on the workings of continuity when handling "phone" calls from OS X Yosemite. My initial post stating that the settings that OP needed to change in order to get his desired outcome were in the FaceTime.app (OS X or iOS) are correct.

Alright, wasn't absolutely sure. I don't have an iPhone anymore to check. Good to know that'll also do it (though I'd rather still be able to answer FaceTime Audio calls individually).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.