Incoming call to iPhone 5S - how do I keep my Mac from ringing?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Young Turk, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

iPhone 5S running latest iOS 8 beta.

Retina MacBook Pro (late 2012) running Yosemite DP 3 (latest version).

Call comes in, my iPhone rings, but my Mac rings also. How do I keep my Mac from ringing, other than muting the sound on the Mac?

Thanks in advance,

YoungTurk

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That's a good question. You could disable it in settings on either your phone or mac but you also disable everything else associated with continuity.

Hopefully they add a subsection where you can turn off certain features.

At least, this is from what I know, I haven't dug around looking for settings or anything. Best of luck.

3. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

funny thing is 'enable handoff' is off on both my iPhone and my Mac.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Maybe it's a beta issue.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Try Resetting Settings on your iPhone and turn Handoff on and back off. Worse case scenario you may need to log out of iCloud on one device.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Isn't handoff just sharing between apps on different devices? Answering calls is just called continuity.

7. tdar macrumors 6502a

That. I hope that they provide come control over this. In my setup My phone, my Mac and my iPad all ring every time a call comes in. It's kinda loud.:eek:

8. ProphetX macrumors regular

Open the FaceTime app -> Preferences -> Uncheck your phone number associated with your phone.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

I dont think he means facetime.

10. ProphetX macrumors regular

Trust me its called FaceTime audio.

11. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

Left my Mac at the office (posting from iPad now). Will check the FaceTime app tomorrow morning.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This is a concern I have. I have no webcam or microphone on my Mac, no interest.

Would be annoying to have calls popping up and making noise from it.

13. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Maybe you can enable Do Not Disturb. However Apple hasn't decided where to put the toggle in Yosemite yet, so you can't right now.

14. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Perhaps turning off Bluetooth on the Mac would be a quick way to stop it from happening.

15. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

except that regular calls come in as well. because that's Continuity.

16. ProphetX, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014

ProphetX macrumors regular

Ok, your not listening. Phone calls use the FaceTime app via continuity. Does that make sense?

For example: i have 2 iPhones and 1 macbook pro. When someone calls one of my iPhones (non FaceTime call) both of my phones ring and so does the the FaceTime app on my mbp.

Basically the FaceTime.app handles the phone calls on in OS X. You dig? Are there anyone else that want to argue with facts? Also all legit dev's know this already. Im just trying to throw the guy or gal a bone.

And another thing. When in doubt search youtube!

17. hlfway2anywhere, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014

hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Okay then you're just using the wrong terminology. Continuity using the FaceTime app to handle the calls is not "FaceTime audio." I'm not sure that adjusting settings for a different part of FaceTime is going to help this person.

18. ProphetX macrumors regular

Sorry If I wasn't clear. But I meant phone calls are handled in OS X Yosemite by FaceTime audio.

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Here's your answer.

Attached Files:

20. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

21. ProphetX macrumors regular

Nice. This further proves what I've been saying is correct. As i just changed the setting in OS X FaceTime app to get mine my mbp to stop ringing. This option should work as well.

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Actually you're both right, technically.

When the call from the iPhone is sent to the iPad or Mac OS, it's acting as a FaceTime Audio call, so saying that FaceTime Audio is what handles it is technically correct.

However unchecking your number won't stop your Mac/iPad from ringing, it'll just mean if an iPhone user tries to use FaceTime Audio, they won't be able to reach you.

23. ProphetX macrumors regular

Your right. But it does stop "phone calls". Which is what the OP is trying to stop. For me given the choice. If I'm at my desk and i get a face time call with both my iPhone and macbook present. i'd opt to use my macbook to take the call. But thats just my preference.

I also don't understand pointless back and forth from someone that doesn't even understand how the feature works or has tried it themselves. Again, I'm only assuming he hasn't tried the feature from his uneducated posts regarding the OP's initial question.

VSMacOne and myself gave the OP the answers that he needed. While hlfway2anywhere was given proper education on the workings of continuity when handling "phone" calls from OS X Yosemite. My initial post stating that the settings that OP needed to change in order to get his desired outcome were in the FaceTime.app (OS X or iOS) are correct.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Alright, wasn't absolutely sure. I don't have an iPhone anymore to check. Good to know that'll also do it (though I'd rather still be able to answer FaceTime Audio calls individually).

25. ProphetX macrumors regular