Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
YES!
Connect an iPod to your television with the Apple Composite AV Cable, gather up your friends, and watch videos or slideshows together on the big screen. You can also connect the Composite AV Cable to your stereo or powered speakers for a room-filling audio experience.

The Composite AV Cable connects to your iPod or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater receiver, or stereo receiver via the composite video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug into a power source, such as a computer or the included USB Power Adapter.
Apple Composite AV Cable
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=MB129LL/A
Apple Component AV Cable
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=MB128LL/A
This accessory is compatible with the following:
  • iPod with color display
  • iPod with video
  • iPod nano - 3rd generation
  • iPod classic
  • iPod touch
  • iPhone

Estimated Ship:
3-4 weeks

I-- I'd almost given up hope... :p Excuse me, dust in the room. :eek: I'm thinking software update. Somehow I doubt existing devices will need modification, but I dunno.

Interesting that the $49 they're charging, includes a USB charger, and that the previous AV cable that goes through the headphone jack, is not listed as compatible.

Apple iPod AV Cable
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M9765G/B

--Which implies that the new devices do NOT support audio/video through the headphone jack, instead going for the connector ONLY.
"connects to your iPod or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector"
Perfectly cool with me. I still want to know if any of the 7" screen extenders will come out with iPhone compatible versions. The new iPod Touch looks like its form-factor still works for those devices (while the iPhone's doesn't, if only by 1/2 inch).

My personal wishlist includes the ability for the iPhone/iPodTouch to be able to video "actions", like "browsing the web" or "using an application" or such. The ability to take presentations off of the Mac, and using Quicklook, display a Keynote presentation from the phone, onto a big screen, would be simply amazing. Even simply browsing a webpage to demo a site to web design clients on a large screen LCD monitor. These devices will immediately begin raising the bar far past anything else on the market.

~ CB

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
That would be great if they did. But they limit the resolution of the video so much that wouldn't it show up looking bad on a tv anyway? I also dislike having to rip all the videos in multiple different formats to use it how i want to. Can't it just automatically change the resolution as it is syncing it? i know it can do it with the shuffle. for example you can choose to have all the songs encode to 128kps to save space.

cgray24

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Texas
they took off iphone from the list, but I did see it there before.

Looks like that ability is coming along a software update later.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Wow. This is becoming a bit despicable. It sounds to me like this is an arbitrary feature distinction. :mad: I nuked my iPods on the understanding that the iPhone had "the best iPod they've ever built" and that it would eventually be able to do all the things the iPod does. I'm going to write a letter in the meantime.

~ CB

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
That would be great if they did. But they limit the resolution of the video so much that wouldn't it show up looking bad on a tv anyway? I also dislike having to rip all the videos in multiple different formats to use it how i want to. Can't it just automatically change the resolution as it is syncing it? i know it can do it with the shuffle. for example you can choose to have all the songs encode to 128kps to save space.

I don't see why an iPod can't scale a 720x480 dvd down on the fly. No conversion necessary. My XBMC can scale content up to fit the TV and scale HD content down (not that I have much)

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Hardware not the answer...

I would doubt a new piece of hardware (in this case, a 30pin to composite + L R audio, and USB) is going to make iPhone output video.

I've already tried my iPhone on the DLO Home Dock v1 and v2 and it doesn't output video.

My guess is that it's a software update to the iPhone's firmware/software to add the "Output to TV?" question when trying to play videos as well as turn on video out of the 30 pin connector from the video processor.

Why Apple hasn't done this already is a mystery to me. My 30g Video iPod does this, so the iPhone is not "the greatest iPod ever". Period.

Shame on you Apple.

PS: Cleverboy, you should really change the title of this thread, since it's not true.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Best iPod ever...

Wow. This is becoming a bit despicable. It sounds to me like this is an arbitrary feature distinction. :mad: I nuked my iPods on the understanding that the iPhone had "the best iPod they've ever built" and that it would eventually be able to do all the things the iPod does.
~ CB

True, this thing should do video out. :(

lampcov

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
GSM Interference

We know what effect the GSM radio has when using the iPhone with an FM transmitter from an Audio standpoint. The question is, what would the impact be to the video signal, and ultimately the device displaying said video. I can't imagine it's catastrophic, but I'd guess it's undesirable at the very least.

Perhaps Apple is protecting themselves and the average "Joe" who would complain that the video out stinks, it damaged their TV, and they want a replacement/refund.

I think many of us would understand what's going on, but the lay person may not, and it wouldn't surprise me if that kind of thinking kept Apple from enabling this feature on the iPhone. Which would of course suck.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006

The iPod cable you listed is not compatible, only the Composite and Component. Apparently the connection works through the 30-pin connector at the bottom of the iPhone and not through the headphone jack.

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
No iPhone interface over video out!

So why can I not also display the iPhone interface and other applications on the video out if I desire?! Why just movies and pictures?! DUMB Apple!

:-(

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
so whats the difference between the composite and the component?

which one should i get?

Composite is your basic 3 plug cable (YELLOW for Video, RED/WHITE for audio).

Component is used to carry a 480p or 480i (higher quality/resolution) signal (used for HDTVs) and they have a 5 plug cable (RED/GREEN/BLUE for video, RED/WHITE for audio).

Personally I am going to purchase the composite, since I will be mainly using this TV out feature when I travel, and most hotel TVs still only have the composite in, if the tv even supports it to begin with.

Also for the best results, make sure your videos are encoded at a higher resolution if you plan on playing them on a bigger screen eventually.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
So why can I not also display the iPhone interface and other applications on the video out if I desire?! Why just movies and pictures?! DUMB Apple!

:-(

Tell me about it. If Apple eventually supports 3rd party apps, and Quickview for mobile OSX, we would be looking at an excellent solution for mobile presentations on iPhone. Even Google docs support for iPhone would be a huge boone in that general direction... Leap frogging Windows Mobile/Mobile Office (which I believe is currently only read-only for Powerpoint presentations) in a heartbeat.

~ CB

jelloyacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I got the component video one. It works nicely, although now I'm kicking myself, because as previously mentioned, I would probably use it mostly on travel with crappy hotel TVs. And I didn't think of that until after my return period was up :-(

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
how exactly do you get it to work? i got a 3rd party one (it plugs in the dock connector) but am not sure how to get it to output the signal to the tv...

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
how exactly do you get it to work? i got a 3rd party one (it plugs in the dock connector) but am not sure how to get it to output the signal to the tv...

I'm not sure if there are any 3rd Party cables available yet. The old 3rd party cables do not work, regardless if they hook up to the dock connector or not, since apple has added the authentication circuitry to the new cables. If the iphone/touch does not ask you if you want to "display on tv" when you try to play a video, the cable will probably not work.

I purchased the composite cables and the video looks pretty good on the television. Ripped movies with handbrake, using the iPod "High-res" preset look great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.