Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushfrog

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
I have just purchased Leopard and wondered if anyone has detailed steps on how i can put it onto another disc incase i lose damage the other DVD.. Im assuming this is legal correct me if im wrong. Help would be appreciated :)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Put your install disc in your Mac

Applications>Open Disk Utility

Select the disc on the left

Click on the "New Image" icon on the top

Under disck format on the pop up make sure "Image Format" is DVD/CD Master

Hit save

That will create a disk image you can burn to a Dual Layer DVD.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
i've read somewhere that using disk utility to create an image fails to make the windows driver installer work in windows... not sure if its true or not but my method of using isobuster works perfect when isntalling osx on mac or autoinstall drivers on windows

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
i've read somewhere that using disk utility to create an image fails to make the windows driver installer work in windows... not sure if its true or not but my method of using isobuster works perfect when isntalling osx on mac or autoinstall drivers on windows

that's quite true. easy to test too. just insert a DVD copied using disk utilities into a windows machine. the bootcamp part will be missing.
the leopard install disk is a hybrid disk and the only way to copy it completely that I know of is by doing it on a windows machine.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
that's quite true. easy to test too. just insert a DVD copied using disk utilities into a windows machine. the bootcamp part will be missing.
the leopard install disk is a hybrid disk and the only way to copy it completely that I know of is by doing it on a windows machine.

Not quite, I managed to copy mine using Disk Utility. :)

1) Put in the Leopard DVD.
2) Select the DVD drive, in my case HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
3) New Image from the toolbar, selected DVD/CD master for Image format
4) Burn the resulting image using Disk Utility

I used Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-Rs. YMMV.

Best of luck!

bushfrog

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
isbuster

Hey if you could let me know how to do it in isobuster that would be great .. as i am unsure which options to choose... do it extract dvd .... also do i burn the dvd using disk utility ? Thanks . Matt

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Hey if you could let me know how to do it in isobuster that would be great .. as i am unsure which options to choose... do it extract dvd .... also do i burn the dvd using disk utility ? Thanks . Matt

Disk Utility can extract the Leopard disc and burn a copy of it. No need to use Isobuster. I'm assuming that you have a SuperDrive on your Mac?

xaviercugie

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
having issues buring backup leopard disk image to dl-dvd

I dragged the leopard image to source and the dl-dvd to destination but the restore button remains grayed out. Any ideas? I'm running tiger

Using HP dvd+r double layer

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,524

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Not quite, I managed to copy mine using Disk Utility. :)

1) Put in the Leopard DVD.
2) Select the DVD drive, in my case HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
3) New Image from the toolbar, selected DVD/CD master for Image format
4) Burn the resulting image using Disk Utility

I used Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-Rs. YMMV.

Best of luck!
...and if you follow this process you will not have copied the Windows Boot Camp drivers portion of the disc (part of the hybrid disc that is not HFS). I just ran into this.

blakespot

bentfp

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
webgoat,

Did you use the default settings on isobuster? also, how did you burn your disc?

I have tried using Nero to burn the image but it keeps failing the data verification at the end.

The disc seems bootable in Mac OSX but again fails verification before installing.

I have tried this process a number of times and keep getting coasters.

Any help from anyone would be great

Thanks

dethcookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008

Put Leopard disc in drive. Open IsoBuster -> right click "DVD" on the left side -> choose "extract dvd <image>" -> User Data (*.tao, *.iso)

Name the file whatever you want (ie "Leopard") on the "Save as type" choose ".iso"
Click Save and wait for image to be created. After it is finished it will probably ask you to save a ".cue" file as well...go ahead and save it, but you should not need it.

I dont have a burner on my Windows XP machine, so I then took the .iso file copied it to my macbook and used Disk Utility to burn to a Dual Layer DVD (File -> Open Disk Image... -> Find Image on hard drive then click "Burn") Using this method I have a perfect copy of the original including boot camp drivers for windows.

Hope this helps. Cheers :D

dethcookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Also something to note is the quality of the DVD DL you are burning to. I picked up 25 for 15 bucks, and I had nothing but problems trying to boot from these dvd's using the method to create the ISO I mentioned above. After going back to the store I picked up some from TDK and I was able to boot/install just fine.

eTang

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
stranded ... how to proceed?

Hope this helps. Cheers :D

Thanks for posting your method. I followed it in total, including copying the .iso-file to the Mac first and then trying to burn from Mac.

Unfortunately I get the following error-message:
"Unable to burn "xyz.iso". (Double Layer transition point has already been specified; it cannot be changed.)"

Any idea on how to proceed now?

(Imation DL DVD, LG external USB DVD-DL burner drive)

cjrcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Open IsoBuster -> right click "DVD" on the left -> choose "Extract DVD <Image>" -> and then User Data (*.tao, *.iso).

It works fine for the 2 of my bundled Mac OS X 10.5.2 Discs (Mainland china distribution). I got 2 backups: Mac OS X Install Disc 1.tao (md5: a45ee41950c89e0403399d4d8b8a5f8d sha1: ed45f221faab25226d5731223cea2e9add513b39) and Mac OS X Install Disc 2.tao (md5: dd980cb0451b959fa1a9d716192b78de sha1: 39ec779fbd8792326b84c904205a0470ec3f431d) with their respectively associated cue files.

Several times of extracting has been tested resulting the same checksums via a proper DVD driver. But some drivers may get different results between two tries even fail to recognize the 2nd DVD medium as a DVD+RW one. This can be attributed to hardware inconsistence according to my knowledge.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Toast will do a complete image of the hybrid DVD. I used it to create a Toast image file (it's easier to have on hand if another physical copy is needed). I then burned a DL DVD from that image file.

You will end up with both the bootable Snow Leopard partition and the ISO partition with the Boot Camp drivers.

4evaMacnLinux

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Toast will do a complete image of the hybrid DVD. I used it to create a Toast image file (it's easier to have on hand if another physical copy is needed). I then burned a DL DVD from that image file.

You will end up with both the bootable Snow Leopard partition and the ISO partition with the Boot Camp drivers.

You are very right Toast will do a complete 1:1 perfect copy.
I will verify it by doing a comparison with Isobuster Pro 2.8.5 and Toast Titanium 11.0.1. In the process of copying OS X 10.6.4 the results I got for both are bit for bit.

Toast: 8,488,124,416 bytes
Isobuster: 8,488,124,416 bytes

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Sorry to drag up an aging thread but I'm having trouble backing up my snow leopard dvd.

I've tried toast (v11) and isobuster but the finished file is only 7.23gb (7.771.521.024 bytes)

Is there an option I need to select?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.