Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielJvdBerg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
The Netherlands.
Hi all!,
I have an iPhone 3G since release date, and believed it was a thin device, especially for a phone, iPod, internet and the rest.
But after convincing my girlfriend to buy an iPod Touch instead of an Nintendo DS, she has received it today. And WOW!!! It looks absolutely stunning, and compared to an iPhone, it's razor thin! The iPhone now feels so thick in my hands when I look at that Touch. It looks like the iPhone is twice as thick (although it's 12,3mm compared to 8,5mm).
For all people that already have a good phone and don't feel the urge for an iPhone.
I say buy a Touch, you really won't regret it!
P.S. The back is stunning too:eek:

DanielJvdBerg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
The Netherlands.
Exactly! That's what I said, thought the iPhone was thin, and now there's even thinner:eek:! It also feels amazingly light in your hands, and the curved edges make it feel comfortable. It's not so light and thin it feels breakable though, it feels very sturdy.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wanna take some comparison pics and post 'em? Just for the sake of the thread?

Some pictures of the Touch cutting into various things (loaf of bread, etc.) would be hilarious as well.

DanielJvdBerg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
The Netherlands.
Wanna take some comparison pics and post 'em? Just for the sake of the thread?

Some pictures of the Touch cutting into various things (loaf of bread, etc.) would be hilarious as well.

I will do so tomorrow, I forgot to do today because I was so excited haha:D

Will try to cut into bread real sneaky, when my girlfriend doesn't look. Don't think she will like me doing that hahaha.

You're comparing a cell phone to an iPod.

So? About the only thing extra in an iPhone is a camera, GPS and phone chips. For only that the difference is remarkable, and for just 3,8mm, the difference feels so much more in your hands.

Oh, and for people still wondering, the speaker of the Touch sounds good, not bad at all. Although the volume is lower than the iPhone, but still, good for a speaker that doesn't even have holes to output sound.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Funny you say that since I own all of them.
  • iPhone 8GB
  • iPhone 3G 16GB
  • iPod Touch 1st Generation 32GB
  • iPod Touch 2nd Generation 32GB

Anything is possible on the internet. If you compare the iPhone 3G and the 2G iPod touch, you can really start to appreciate the thin design of the iPod.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
019-ipod-touch-2g-unboxing_medium.JPG

018-ipod-touch-2g-unboxing_medium.JPG

021-ipod-touch-2g-unboxing_medium.JPG

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Anything is possible on the internet. If you compare the iPhone 3G and the 2G iPod touch, you can really start to appreciate the thin design of the iPod.

Why would I lie about owning those? :rolleyes:

Again as I said in the first post you're comparing a cell phone to an iPod. :rolleyes:

This type of response is what is wrong with the iPhone Forum.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON

Again as I said in the first post you're comparing a cell phone to an iPod. :rolleyes:

Someone's just impressed with the thinness of the iPod Touch, and they made a thread about it - no big deal.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

reverse psychology. by lying about something in such an outrageous manner will make others believe you. haha jk. why do you have so many ipods though?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have both a 3G iphone and a 1G touch. The touch feels a LOT thinner than the difference in dimension mm's would suggest.

The antenna's, radio transparent case, radio chips and components for GSM/3G/BT, and the extra battery to power those radios requires a decent amount of volume I guess.

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
after seeing those comparison pics...
dont you think apple should return the 3G to the metal back of the new iPod Touch and make a plastic antenna case for it like the first? just more rounded seeing as thats their new style.
the white plastic just pales in comparison to that beautiful curved metal!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

I would suggest you find another thread to spend your time responding to then. We're all sorry you don't get enough attention at home but coming to forums to ridicule others is kind of childish, IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm beyond impressed with Apple's latest line of iPods. Those touches are a HUGE improvement from the first gen. I had it for a week and didn't like the feel of the sharp edges. And the new nanos? MMmmmMMmMmMmmm... I WILL own one soon.

john316

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
I would suggest you find another thread to spend your time responding to then. We're all sorry you don't get enough attention at home but coming to forums to ridicule others is kind of childish, IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm beyond impressed with Apple's latest line of iPods. Those touches are a HUGE improvement from the first gen. I had it for a week and didn't like the feel of the sharp edges. And the new nanos? MMmmmMMmMmMmmm... I WILL own one soon.

But this is the iPhone forum! :p

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
So? About the only thing extra in an iPhone is a camera, GPS and phone chips. For only that the difference is remarkable, and for just 3,8mm, the difference feels so much more in your hands
What do you mean "only"? Camera, GPS and phone chips is a lot to squeeze into 3,8 mm. It also needs a bigger battery in order to support all that stuff. The measly WiFi chip on the Touch is nothing compared to the power required for sending and transmitting voice and data over 3G to the nearest base station (or the second nearest, when the nearest is full), and to pick up signals from satellites (most dedicated GPS units are three times thicker and heavier than the iPhone). The iPod Touch also doesn't have to comply with SAR level regulations in 80 different countries, whereas the iPhone had to be built to keep the radiation level to a minimum.

I have an iPhone 3G and an iPod Touch 1g, and I'd have to say that the iPhone feels a lot better in my hand. The plastic is warm, wheras the metal on the back of the Touch is ice cold; the iPhone has a good weight balance and a nice rounded back while the Touch is flat and has sharp edges.

You have to keep in mind that Apple is obsessed with thinness, like no other company on the planet, and if this is the thinnest they could make the iPhone 3G, you can feel confident that they spared no effort -- in fact, there's a good chance they ditched features in favor of thinness (see MacBook Air...).

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
reverse psychology. by lying about something in such an outrageous manner will make others believe you. haha jk. why do you have so many ipods though?

I buy them as they come out. So they add up over time.

What is the point of this post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.