Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B.winkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Just recently bought a 21.5 Imac and am wondering which warranty I should get. Is there a deductible with Apple Care? Anyone have experience? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks for input.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I wouldn't get 3rd party warranty. AppleCare is the best option unless the reseller you bought it from offers some kind of warranty. E.g. BestBuy offers their own warranty if I recall correctly

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Applecare. No deductible, +2 years coverage after your initial warranty runs out.

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
What about bying Applecare on ebay... it's safe? i mean , it's quiet cheaper than at Apple's ....

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
You Might Need Tech Support

You can certainly save some money by getting the Square Trade warranty. However the big, I mean really big, downside of Square Trade is that you do not get extended tech support. Having a tech support staff that can speak English and who will, almost always, solve your problem is a deal maker for Apple Care.

I have used Square Trade and they have a good product if you do not need Tech Support.

B.winkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I didn't know Amazon had a discount product for Applecare. Are there any short comings?

Vice92

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
The only reason I personally chose SquareTrade over AppleCare was that my SquareTrade policy covers accidental damage, and being in college, that was a no-brainer.

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
NO! It is not safe! They wait until your PayPal claim period runs and and you leave the positive feedback and then they return your AppleCare and scam you.

i erased my comment after digging a little bit on this topic.. apparently this is a risky business..

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235

i guess that if you did buy it from someone you could in fact call apple and make triple positive that the code is valid but even then i don't know if they could still return the box.. i guess i won't be buying from ebay again.. thanx for the info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.