AppleCare vs SquareTrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by B.winkle, Aug 14, 2010.

1. B.winkle macrumors member

Just recently bought a 21.5 Imac and am wondering which warranty I should get. Is there a deductible with Apple Care? Anyone have experience? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks for input.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't get 3rd party warranty. AppleCare is the best option unless the reseller you bought it from offers some kind of warranty. E.g. BestBuy offers their own warranty if I recall correctly

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Applecare. No deductible, +2 years coverage after your initial warranty runs out.

4. LAPTOPODO macrumors member

What about bying Applecare on ebay... it's safe? i mean , it's quiet cheaper than at Apple's ....

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

NO! It is not safe! They wait until your PayPal claim period runs and and you leave the positive feedback and then they return your AppleCare and scam you.

6. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Amazon offers a decent discount. Much safer than eBay.

7. MacMur macrumors regular

You Might Need Tech Support

You can certainly save some money by getting the Square Trade warranty. However the big, I mean really big, downside of Square Trade is that you do not get extended tech support. Having a tech support staff that can speak English and who will, almost always, solve your problem is a deal maker for Apple Care.

I have used Square Trade and they have a good product if you do not need Tech Support.

8. B.winkle thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know Amazon had a discount product for Applecare. Are there any short comings?

9. Vice92 macrumors regular

The only reason I personally chose SquareTrade over AppleCare was that my SquareTrade policy covers accidental damage, and being in college, that was a no-brainer.

10. LAPTOPODO macrumors member

Understood ... thanks :D

11. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

They sell AppleCare with a discount, it is not a seperate service! :)

12. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

i erased my comment after digging a little bit on this topic.. apparently this is a risky business..

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235

i guess that if you did buy it from someone you could in fact call apple and make triple positive that the code is valid but even then i don't know if they could still return the box.. i guess i won't be buying from ebay again.. thanx for the info