0.57 GB "Other". what is it?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Androidfan1x, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

i bought a brand new ipod touch, plugged it in and itunes said: "Other 0.55 GB". i was surprised, it's new, how come?
    after syncing 1.46 GB music and download some apps now it says "Other 0.57 GB".
    i got the 32 gb, i know i won't fill it up quickly, so i don't really need to delete that "other" thing, i'm just curious why it's new and it's already have something "other" on it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

The other category has long been an issue. Of the 5 iPhones I currently own, 3 of then had to be rebuilt because the other category grew out of control leaving the phone with limited usable space. I brought each to a "Genius" and the only solution was to restore back to factory(without backup). I was hopping this issue would be corrected with IOS6. It has not.

4. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

How come the 8GB iPhone really has 7GB, but the 8GB iPhone 4 only has 6GB?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I assume you're talking about the original iPhone. iOS 1.0 was very small, around 100MB. iOS 3.1.3 was around 400MB. iOS 6 for the iPhone 4 is around 800MB. With each new firmware version, the operating system's partition grows a bit to make room for the new features.

6. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

But are you sure that iOS is not considered "other"? My "other" is over 1GB, and if I use DiskAid or CyberDuck to view my files, the OS, user media, and everything is all in one folder, the root directory.

7. polak9pete macrumors newbie

i think possibly some of the "other" stuff is artwork in the music app especially if you have a lot of songs all with high quality artwork to go with it

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Very sure. It's stored on a partition that iTunes cannot see or touch.

9. Androidfan1x thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i do have a lot of music on my ipod touch but i'm sure this "other" stuff are not album arts, because as i said, when i first bought it, i turned it on, plugged it into my pc right away and it already said "other 0.55 GB"

lol this is like a mysterious thing :eek:

10. goox2 macrumors newbie

goox2

My "others" in my 32gb ipad is 4gb :eek::eek::eek:
    I guess there must be "bad files" within the system
    Tried so many ways to clear the others but failed :mad:
    Seemingly restore is the only method but upgrade to ios6 is unavoidable
    i really wish to keep my beloved google map