.001 File Problems *Please Help*

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pmas76, Nov 7, 2011.

1. pmas76 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have searched endlessly with regards to the answer to this question to no avail. Hopefully someone here has the solution:

I am running OS X Lion 10.7 (also Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion 4) and am trying to combine .001 files. I downloaded "Split & Concat" and "MacHacha" to try combining the files but they both don't seem to work. "Split & Concat" seems to just create a small document file and "MacHacha" can't access the files because they are greyed out in the file window. I also went as far as to use "HJ-Split" on the Windows 7 side and that didn't work either. For some reason, "HJ-Split" couldn't see the files in the folder that I had them saved.

The fact that two out of the three programs can't recognize the files leads me to believe there is some sort of problem with the way the .001 files are saving to the hard drive. I could be wrong, but I don't see any other reason why these programs wouldn't recognize the files that I saved in my download folder.

Does anyone know why this problem is happening and any suggestions on how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. pmas76 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/534.51.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.1 Safari/534.51.22)

UPDATE: I'm making progress. I know the reason why I am having trouble. Safari is adding a .mpg to the end of the .001 files that I download. When I download the same .001 file's in Internet Explorer, this doesn't happen and I can successfully join the files using "Split and Concat".

So the new question is...how can I stop Safari from downloading the .001 files as .mpg's?

Thanks!

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Safari's adding an '.mpg' extension to the end of the filenames?
    Go to Finder's 'Finder' menu choose preferences -> advanced pane.
    check 'Show all filename extensions'
    Then find your files, and take off the errant '.mpg'.

4. pmas76 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, Safari is adding .mpg to all downloaded .001 files. I did some googling and it appears others how posted threads about this problem in the past:

http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...3-safari-stop-adding-mpg-split-filenames.html

The file extension setting merely shows or hides the extension...what I need Safari to stop doing is automatically adding .mpg to the files that I download. As far a what I have found on the internet, it doesn't seem as if there is a way to stop safari from doing this.

If anyone has figured out a way, please share.

Thanks!

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Seen that behavior before in Safari, but only when the media file wasn't zipped before being split.

EDIT: May be a Webkit thing, rather than Safari issue, as the problem appears to occur in Chrome as well.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

7. pmas76 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. This seems to be the answer...although manually removing the .mpg still does not let me combine the files. The file joining software still does not recognize the .001 files as the proper format. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to use another web browser to download these file types.

It's a shame that Safari doesn't have an option to turn this "add extension" feature off...

Thanks again!

8. ignus graius macrumors regular

When I run into files that have simply been split without any sort of archive container (zip, rar, etc...) I use HexFiend to open the files and append them to each other.

A better way would probably be to use the "cat" command in Terminal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7meKDCEbEE