00s pop culture

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shotglass, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

When I watch a movie that is from the 80s, I can instantly tell when it was made. It's because of the fashion of the 80s, the way people used to talk, and of course, there's always the synthesizer-heavy soundtrack. I'm willing to bet 90% of you can do the same.
    But what if your children and grandchildren watched a movie made somewhere between 2000 and 2010? How would they see the world we live in? And how would film makers from their time present our time on screen? What would the actors wear? How would they talk? Are there any distinctive 'trademarks' of our time?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It'll be our iPods, Gnarls Barkley and Lord of the Rings movies... :D

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i think things like ROFL LOL OMG WTF TTFN from the emerging texting culture will be some of the things that signify this decade.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Digital effects will compensate for bad acting.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

well, one way they'll be able to tell, is by our hair styles... if you look back to actors in the early 80's it was different from early 90's... likewise, this decade has certain hair styles that will differentiate itself from future. I'm sure we'll also have our "blackberries" our "cell phones", "DVD's"... etc.

Also, looking at the kind of computer the actors are using will give away a lot...

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Shaky-cam... handheld shots and rapid cutting free from any narrative, when once static shots would done equally well.

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Pretty much just little things. Like how we pronounce a certain word, what sort of technology we have, and what we eat.

8. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

In "Gangsta'" Movies its gonna be the rap- one of the most changing genres there is.

In other movies, it'll be the digital effects. At the rate they've evolved (take a look at the Harry Potter series) over the past 5 or 6 years, they're bound to get VERY good in another 6-7.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I object to this thread, there's no way to judge a decade as a whole, like you are with the 80s, until the decade in question is over.

BUT, we can make some guesses. Here's what I think will be remembered from the 2000s in culture:
    -Fantasy/adventure/comic movies: LOTR, HP, Spiderman, etc
    -introduction of the iPod, revival of Apple
    -cell phones
    -mainstream "Organic" food
    -Google

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

- Cell Phones
    - Our Computers
    - Cars!
    - Fashion Fads- short hair on woman, Uggs I bet, etc

According to my mom many of the 80's styles are coming back fashion wise, and some guy at a sports store said all the snowboard attire styles from the 80's are coming back.

11. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Great suggestions so far, keep em coming.

Pictures to illustrate your opinion are very welcome.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If anything cell phones were a 90's thing. That was when they were a fad, now they are just common place.

2000's would be, teeny boppers, broadband, and downloading.
    Static shots are still better, I don't like the new "MTV Style" of filming. I still would rather watch old movies, and music videos as they are easier on the eyes.

13. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think that it'll be as distinct as previous decades. We live in conservative times, notably fashion and style for example.

14. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Pictures, if you would.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Why bother? It'll just be jeans + t-shirt with some stupid print on it. Just look outside.

16. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

When I look outside, I see this:
    [​IMG]
    Now are you sure that this represents 00s fashion around the world?

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Jeans, a t-shirt, and a jumper to go over the t-shirt because it's cold. T-shirt and jeans are still there, though.

Or how about just a slack and lazy look, as though most people stopped trying, and it's cool.

But iGav is right. Generall, style is really conservative right now. It's all about retro colours, retro styles, etc.

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think it's too early to tell but it's always the same stuff, fashion, technology, and so forth. Me and my friends had this question back in the 90's about the 90's and didn't think it would happen, but now looking back I was terribly wrong.

19. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If you look back to say 2000 I can tell that it was around that time because of clothing styles, etc. I'm sure for girls they'll have those Ugg boots. There really wasn't any crazy hair style like some of the other decades. Maybe in a few more years we'll be able to see a clearer picture.

20. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

[​IMG]

Way cool.

21. rlnhrt macrumors newbie

Well, it depends on the kind of movies they see, but most probably they'll see that we didn't had much imagination to make anything that it's not a remake of an older movie, or an adaptation of a book, comic, tv series, videogames, etc

22. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

my take... they would see revival of 80's type stuff LOL. remakes of films. cover of old songs.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One day, people are going to be watching shows from the 2000's decade, and thinking, "Wait.......you guys had 'keyboards' attached to computers?"

24. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

Reality tv, definitely. On MTV, there's those shows like Room Raiders and NEXT that are gonna portray the youth. Then, you have the major network shows like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. As for movies, there's the remakes and bringing comic books to life. September 11th, 2001 Music is gonna be like the teenybopper, über pop and real commercial rap. Fashion involves Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister Co., Nike, Vans, and anything that's "retro" or trendy at the time. Girls are more superficial: bleach blonde hair, fake tans, big (fake) boobs and whatnot. Guys are more muscular, yet metrosexual, and an immense rise in the gay community is inevitable. Let's not forget MySpace and Youtube, of course. And last but not least, Apple reigns supreme in innovation for technology. :cool::apple: