'02 Altima vs '06 Accord

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davidg4781, Jun 21, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Ok, so I'm needing a new car and at the Carmax I'm going to there's a 2002 Nissan Altima SE (V6) and a 2006 Honda Accord EX (i4) that I'm looking at and I'd like some advice. I've tried Honda and Nissan forums but they're too busy modding and stuff to give me some good advice.

They're both close to the same price and mileage (both over 100k). I'm fine with that as this is really something to get me through the next year or so. My old car unexpectedly gave up the ghost and I need something else quick.

So do y'all have any thoughts? They're both loaded pretty nice, Altima has more power and leather interior. The Accord looks really nice but there aren't any pics of the Altima as it just came on the lot. They'll probably be up today but I need to tell them today which one I'm wanting.

2. ericdubya macrumors newbie

www.driveaccord.net is a great forum and the people there should be very helpful. I had a 2006 accord V6 coupe for a couple of years. Loved the car.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Essentially, if you can pay for the extra gas and you like driving, get the Altima. They'll do 0-60 in 6 seconds flat while still remaining comfortable and practical.

If you don't care about cars in general and are just interested in an A to B appliance, go with the Accord. Either car is a decent choice; it's just a matter of personal preference.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I posted there last night. It just seems the people on car forums go to bed a lot earlier than the ones on MacRuomrs. Plus this is the main forums I normally hang out at.

Actually, while I thought of posting here, I didn't think I should, so I googled Altima vs Accord and a thread on here was the 2nd or 3rd result.

----------

I do a lot of driving, so being comfortable and fun helps a lot. It has the lower miles but it's also 4 years older.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I think you've figured out which one I would take... Go test-drive the Altima if you haven't already!

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm still rocking a 01' Altima. It's been a fantastic first car for me. It's got almost 114k miles on it, and I have not had any major problems beyond normal maintenance for a care with this many miles. We have had a lot of Nissans in the family and all of them have been great vehicles.

8. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

For those years, I would go with the newer Accord. These days, the Altima is superior.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If you need the extra umph for passing, go with the Altima. Nissan V6's are generally among the better V6's around. If the extra donkeys aren't necessary, then go with the Accord. Honda's build quality is second to none (Toyota has the mystic of best reliability, but Honda beats them in a majority of the reliability surveys).

Personally, I'd go with the Accord. I'm a low maintenance guy (change my oil at intervals, that's about it), so reliability is the most important quality for me.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd go with the Accord.

I have an 02 Civic, and basically, there has been nothing wrong with the car for the past 10 years. The only work needed to be done was oil changes, and tire rotations/replacements.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have the Accord on hold! I'm going up tomorrow to pick it up. That Altima is nice though, and the 100 extra HP would be sweet. But I guess when you're thinking about sensibility, the Accord wins. I actually didn't like that model year styling but this one doesn't look that bad. The rear looks better than others. I think it's because it doesn't have that red band for the lights, just on the fenders.

Just need to find an Apple sticker now to put on it. I have some for an iPod I got from some kid. Does anyone know if they're the same size as the ones for a Mac? Mine are put away somewhere in my box.

15. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow. So I guess I should update this. Hope that's ok.

IIRC, I test drove an Altima. Boring. Bought a Maxima. Returned it a couple of days later and bought a 2006 Tafetta White Accord EX i4. Great car! Until I rolled it. Replaced it with a 2006 Accord EX-L Navi i4 5sp. Great car still! But showing its age cosmetically.

If I shouldn't bring up such an old thread please let me know. I was looking for another thread and saw this one was never updated. BTW I'm still at driveaccord.net.

16. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Thread starter update is always welcome. Yeah, can't go wrong with an Accord, and holy smokes, glad you walked away from rolling one!

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2005 500 SL LE Roadster, and a 2008 Altima. I prefer driving the Altima the most. Oooppps. I just realized I’m too late.

18. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

Honda and Toyota you can depend on.

Nissan is terrible. My ex had an Altima. Constant trips for repairs.