02 cancelling instore reservations.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ifone, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Ifone macrumors newbie

So about a week ago my local 02 store were taking reservations for the new iphone. Idea being you turn up on Friday and they have one put aside for you.

I just got a call to say that they haven't received enough phones for the reservation list alone, let alone people turning up at stores without reservations.

I was told reservations are now void, and to get there early and hope for the best, this applies to all 02 stores.

Sounds like stocks are indeed very low.

2. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

Oh dear - So if mine doesnt look like it's gunna turn up Friday ill be up early Friday morning to beat the que :(

3. 03sho macrumors 6502a

I think they are telling almost everyone they don't have enough phones and that they are out of stock.

4. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I'm hearing the same. either we get there very early or we better wait a few weeks -- even more if you want a 16G one. And I bet that we'll not see the white one until xmas.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not sure that all stores have cancelled reservations.

I called my local store this morning to enquire whether they would have stock of 16GBs this Friday, and was told that there would be stock but that all had been reserved! :mad:

So much for Apple saying first come, first served!

6. MojoWill macrumors 6502

o2 were never officially doing instore reservations!

7. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

It's the same in the Netherlands. T-Mobile, which is the official carrier in the Netherlands has also declared reservations void.

there are rumors here that T-mobile shops will receive around 80-100 iPhones per shop divided between the three models :(. Third party shops will receive a tenth of that. So I guess it makes the most sense to go to the official carrier as they will have the most in stock, even though it's not much yet...

I wake up early anyway, so I will go two hours in advance and try to be first in line... ;)

8. Ifone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't know what you mean by "officially", but my local one had a board outside the shop saying "reserve new 3g iphone now".
    I went inside, spoke to a assistant who gave me the choice of black/white 8gb/16gb (this was about 2 weeks ago). I was told one would be put aside for me for 24 hours, starting 8:02am on the 11th.

9. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I just don't think they will keep the reservations, and i feel they will not have any white ones. Maybe 2 weeks ago they believed that, but now?

10. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I thought they weren't taking reservations in the first place, let alone cancelling them?! Every text and e-mail sent out spoke of first come, first served, so if some cheeky swine waltzes into an O2 store at 4pm and picks a reserved one up, there will be alot of unhappy customers, me included.

11. MojoWill macrumors 6502

if you go into any o2 store and they say reservation only just ask them to put you on the phone to their area manager then see how long it take them to get you one ;)

O2 ARE NOT DOING RESERVATIONS! any cheeky school boy manager who thinks he can do this is greatly mistaken, they have no backbone so challenge and you will get!

12. Ifone thread starter macrumors newbie

It works both ways though, if you've been promised a reservation and now it beens nothing thats pretty annoying too. The whole point of making a reservation was to avoid the surge on Friday.

13. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

You should be angry at the store owner and not at the cheeky swine. I salute him for picking one up and will be envious that I wasn't able to.

14. sjw macrumors regular

This makes me really mad when Apple and O2 have been spouting off this whole "No reservations - first come first served" line the entire time. Absolute bollocks. It's only compounded by the rumours that there are going to be low stock levels.

They sure as hey better be cancelling the reservations.. that's just unfair to the many others like myself who have happily accepted this whole "first come first served" business.

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

If anyone hears of anything like this, maybe an email to O2s CEO, Matthew Key (matthew.key@o2.com) might be in order?

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Can we all say "marketing ploy"?

There'll be plenty to go around.

Have to hand it to o2 though they've worked up quite a storm with all this 'out of stock' 'first come first served, get there early!' Messages, how can you be out of stock online? Surely its just a longer wait and they would take you money anyway?!.

Their not stupid, they will want to make as much money as possible on launch day.

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

And you're basing this on what exactly?

18. MojoWill macrumors 6502

it was in the tea leaves

19. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Just simple common sense,

why would they deliberatly have low stock numbers? they would not make more money, and they will have alot of disgruntled customers!

My feelings is there will be enough to go around.

but...then again, I could be wrong and the whole world could be going mad.

20. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Common sense huh? Why indeed would they deliberately have low stock numbers? They wouldn't. Not deliberately. That would just be stupid. And as such, the low numbers would not be a marketing ploy. And there may be well be disgruntled customers. We will see on friday.

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They did not have deliberately low stock numbers.

Apple allocated them many fewer phones then they asked for.. With 22 countries clamoring for them, they had to cut back based on what was available. So many countries got many fewer phones than they wanted.

Has nothing to do with the desire of O2. Has to do with the reality of there being only like 25k phones for all of the UK.

22. alFR macrumors 68020

I'm still not sure I buy this. They've been making them for months, most likely, and will have had a good idea of likely demand. I would have thought they'd push as many out as they thought they could sell. Unless that is the manufacturers couldn't deliver on time, but I've not heard anything to that effect even rumoured online.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It seems supply>demand.

Not too hard to fathom. Take a look at the potential units O2 will have on Friday, compared to the number who registered interest alone.

Number registered> a reasonable guess of overall stock for Friday.

==> Shortages.

With say 200,000 registered (i.e. likely a low estimate of people wanting to buy on Friday/the weekend)
    and 1,300 physical O2 stores - that would mean a minimum average of 153 per store.
    O2 talks of a couple dozen per store.

I might be wrong in the calculation, but it's the best we have, until someone shouts out the actual O2 and CW supplies.

24. geeb macrumors regular

Multiply the number of O2/CPW/Apple shops in the UK by 22 other countries and stock issues arent suprising are they?

Does no one remember the Wii?

25. MojoWill macrumors 6502

300,000 registered interest in the iPhone 3G on the O2 website.

I'm guessing ALOT of them were a)PAYG customers (better luck next time) b)just watching

so lets say 2/3s of people are actually going to buy 200,000

if o2 have 1300 stores and CPW have around 2000 in the UK thats 3300 x by say 2 dozen

thats just under 80,000 on launch day that is a low estimate on all parts there will be plenty!!!!!!!