02 contract - sell phone to get Iphone - problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TINCAN78, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

I am about to get a £35 a month contract with 02 (in UK), going to get it with a free phone ( poss N95 or one i could sell for the most money) i can sell it to fund the iphone.

If i get the Free unlimited web bolt on (come with £35 month 02 contracts now) will it work the same as the iphone??

Also would it lose any functionality etc?

Would visible voicemail still work?

Is there anything else i should know or what i should do ?

Could i still update it and not worry about software to unlock it every time ?

2. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

1) Should do.
    2) Visual voicemail won't work
    3) see 2)
    4)Without jailbreaking or unlocking an iphone won't accept any sim other than the one supplied and activated. So your (N95) contract sim wouldn't work until your iphone is at least jailbroken.
    5) Most likely any firmware update will relock your iphone requiring another unlock.

3. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

would you say that losing functionality is a reason to get the correct contract or is it not noticeable etc.... i mean i don't want it throwing up errors etc because i have another 02 contract running in it.....

Does anyone else have first hand experience with running another 02 contract in the iphone ?

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Use ziphone on it and the only thing you will miss is visual voicemail :D

5. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I'm running an O2 contract (bought through E2save last year), 200 mins 200 texts 12 months @ £30/month with £360 cashback.
    I jailbroke my bought from O2 shop iphone that is on firmware 1.1.2 and put in the E2save O2 contract sim and everything worked fine (voice, text, edge, Youtube, weather etc) except that you only get normal voicemail (hardly a problem).
    I haven't used Ziphone as I don't need to unlock my phone and the 1.1.3 firmware seems to be a little buggy...however once the next release of ziphone for the new 1.1.4 firmware is stable I will probably give it a go.

6. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info so no need to unlock at all, so we would be able to run all updates without a problem.....although the application side of things would have to be jailbroken again?

Sorry for all the questions..... just want to confirm this is the case.

Thanks again !

7. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry for not adding this to previous post but computer is giving error s.....only other thing , why would you want to ziphone it if you are still losing the Iphone

8. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Here is how it works:
    Buy the iphone, make no changes and you can only use the O2 sim that comes with the phone and needs to be activated with the proper £35/month O2 iphone contract.

Jailbraking the iphone allows you to use any O2 sim contract or payg but firmware updates will most likely relock the phone.

Unlock the iphone and you can use any sim but again any firmware update will relock the phone.

The jailbrake I did was quite a pain whereas the current unlock with ziphone apparently is very easy. In either case the only thing that doesn't work is visual voicemail.

9. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

lovely thanks for explaining lol..... best get my vodafone number to port out..... vodafone is limited to 120mb data not unlimited so 02 is better in that respect plus as its 02 it would seem easier to move across to 02 then.......

10. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

So got the 02 contract in the end with unlimited bolt on. Just now need to jailbreak the Iphone 16gb that i brought with the proceeds of the N95 8GB that i sold...... nice new 16gb Iphone yeeee haaaaa...

So for confirmation, i remove the sim thats in it, put my new 02 contract sim in (do i need to activate this on another phone first...not used it yet !. Then jailbreak the phone to let me use my 02 one....

11. rachlouy31 macrumors newbie

help help please

hi, i am another newbie!!! i have just had the n95 on contract £30.00 a month, what will happern if i stop paying, will they block the mobile or will it just be the sim they block, if they block the phone, will i be able to get it unlocked and put a pay as you go sim in it, please some 1 help me x thanks rach

12. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

You'll get a bad credit report from just decinding not to pay anymore, as you agreed to a contract. Also you may find it difficult to get a contract in the future. There's no point imo, just a load of stress and worry

13. TINCAN78 thread starter macrumors regular

your best bet is to upgrade to the £35 a month 02 contract and get the data package thrown in , then sell your N95 and stick your sim into a new iphone.

The other option is depending how long you have had your current contract, 02 are allowing people to end their contract early as long as you take the iphone £35 a month one.........

Two options but don't just stop paying , as stated above it will mess you up......credit wise

14. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

If you stop paying they will chase you for payment, if you still don't pay they will most likely sell your debt to a debt collecting agency who will send the balliffs round.
    Plus you will get a really bad credit rating.
    You have "signed" up to a contract and not paying is a really bad idea.