02 Customer Services option 1 buy 3giphone message - now available to order online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gregrichards, Jul 6, 2008.

1. gregrichards macrumors member

Hi

Does anyone know why when you phone o2 on 0870 225 7879 press option 1 for iphone it says - "The iphone 3g is now available to pre order online" - when in fact it isnt, not today anyway?

If i remember the message was different a few days ago, is the message referring to those who pre-registered their interest do you think?

My hope is that I will be able to preorder online and then be given a time slot to pick up and activate my iphone in Friday.

I honestly think if 02 does not allow pre-orders and people are forced to queue whilst other people go through the contract procedure, then they are just asking for riots at their stores.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Edit - nothing about iPhones on 100.
    Calling the 0870 number:

"To purchase an iPhone please press 1" - <presses 1>
    "Thank you for calling O2 - The new iPhone 3G is now available to order online only. It will be available in the high street and by telephone from the 11th July. please visit ww. o2.co.uk/iphone for more information on tariffs, iPhone prices and stock availability. Thank you <end of message>

The pre-registering idea got scrapped, hence the change i'd imagine. To be honest, i'd think time slots is a waste of time for O2 - they'd have people coming late, not turning up at all/going to other stores, people changing their mind, people just turning up to check out the handset rather than buy it etc.

Makes much more sense to do a first come first served approach, and burn through those who want to get in, buy the handset and maybe some accessories, and get out. I think a lot of people, whilst wanting to actually just go in and get one, would want to try one out and check out the accessories first. Bear in mind no-one's really used a non-demo model bar Mossberg and a few others really.

3. gregrichards thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for posting the transcript, I was in shock so couldnt remember it exactly word for word but what does it mean if anything I wonder.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why on earth do people think that the phone won't be available to buy online with delivery to your door?

This is what O2 do with all of their other phones, so why would they make the process different for iPhone?

5. onescoop macrumors member

I'm going to guess that someone set their call handling software wrong and it's made a message go live a day early, or they don't get many calls on a sunday afternoon and are trialling it before tomorrow morning (which has been reported as the day online sales are meant to start, allegedly).

6. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

That sounds like it could be right. Nothing has change online. No button to click to preorder the iphone. If it was, I would be clicking away, and eagerly waiting delivery on friday. Can't Wait :D

As for the post above the quoted one, I agree too. Why wouldn't O2 allow orders online. It would save alot of hassle instore on Friday. By ordering online you agree to a contract, so O2 still get their money, and customers can be bone idle on friday until the courier come knocking. Win-win situation IMO.

7. Red Bull macrumors member

Red Bull

I'll keep the rumour mill going with this news from Macworld UK.

Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

8. onescoop macrumors member

That story has been posted and torn apart about 10 times now.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Macworld's informant is about as reliable as anyone here speaking to an employee of a store.

10. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

This has been mentioned before. In fact, I think there is a whole thread about it. i hope it is true. I just called the number at the start of this thread, and it does indeed say the "iPhone 3G is available to order online only." Then something about being available in store and over the phone from friday 11th. But it is lies. Hurry up and make it available online already! :D

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is ridiculous. That phone message (which I can confirm is still available when you call) clearly says it's available online only at the moment and invites you to go to the O2 website where it posts the same crap that has been there all week.

I am one of those people who did pre-register interest (on the day of June 9th or whatever) but have only had that text last week that said nothing.

A trip to the Notting Hill Gate O2 store yesterday revealed that they haven't got a clue either. The guys there didn't even know what time the shop would be open and certainly knew nothing of the apparent 7.02am open time. I'm hoping that they haven't yet been briefed (if indeed O2 themselves actually know what will be happening on Friday yet!) so I will ask again later in the week. I'm not currently filled with confidence, however.

12. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

They need to sort it out I think. First they let Pay & Go prices slip, and now it looks like that won't be available until later this year. Now they say explicitly on their sales phone line (I have checked too, and it's there) that it is now available online. But it clearly isn't. Whether or not it is meant to be available today or tomorrow, they should have the ability to ensure the phone line changes when the website changes too. It just seems SO uncoordinated and a touch unprofessional. All I want is an iPhone! :confused:

13. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

No, that probably isnt whats happened. I phoned up that number 2 days ago, and got the same message, so I thinks its been there for a while.

Would have thought they'd noticed it ay?

14. gregrichards thread starter macrumors member

The previous message said "please go to the 02 website and register your interest", something along those lines anyway just a few days ago.

I hope this will be just for those who managed to pre-register their interest and they get a unique code or something to order it.

Hopefully something similar will happen at the Carphone Warehouse.

I think they need to make it available online because if it's pay monthly only a lot of people will have work or uni to go to and cant make it to either store on launch day.

15. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

No, it was definitely that same message when I phoned them up on Thursday.

16. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Its obviously a mistake, but here's hoping we will be able to order online prior to launch, and have them arrive on launch day!

17. chrissmash macrumors regular

Hi there,

Sorry to add to the rumour mill but here was my experience.

I phoned yesterday morning
    - iPhone will be available for pre order online but cannot give any other details - please take with a pinch of salt

My fiancee phoned yesterday
    - Phone orders will be taken on Friday July 11th from 9am.

As with all of this please take with a pinch of salt.

I have a feeling that we should be finding out 2moro at some point what is going on a bit clearer. My local O2 store is having a "planning meeting" this tuesday morning causing the store to open at 10am as opposed to 9am.

18. gregrichards thread starter macrumors member

Ok but thursday is a few days ago. All I am saying is at the beginning of last week Wednesday I'm sure it was the message was different. It has not been the same message all the time.

19. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Right yeah, fair enough. I was just saying the testing on a sunday afternoon thing was wrong :)

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd imagine someone's waiting to record the message, with the IT worker sorting out the PBX, just as soon as O2 makes up it's mind come Monday, or not...

21. Simon1966 macrumors regular

The message has gone now - it just states hours of business.
    There is no option 1 now.

22. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Well it looks like it was a mistake, because they are now available to order online!

23. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Emails have been sent. It is available to pre-order through the email link.

Click Here

[​IMG]

24. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah, but its 8am and the store is still down.. lol

25. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

8:02 and its working for me!