02 iPhone 3G PAYG Reserved..for delivery on 11th July!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Jul 4, 2008.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Just spoke to Carphone Warehouse Direct and have reserved an iPhone 8GB in Black on PAYG.

The gentleman will be ringing me on Thursday to arrange payment and delivery for 11th July.

...or will he ring and say on Thursday "Sorry Sir Apple have changed their mind and how about one of our contracts"

umm :confused:

2. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Hmm. The opposes O2's "later in the year". Not sure CPW can do this?

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Since the phone company is saying no PAYG, I think you are out of luck.

Why all you poppycockers so afraid of having a contract. I don't understand th PAYG thing there.

4. MojoWill macrumors 6502

yeah this is rubiish CPW in fact emailed customers themselves to say that the PAYG won't be availiable at launch

5. danielforman macrumors regular

I think there is a good chance that you won't be getting a PAYG version on the 11th. I think someone posted an email from CPW on here the other day and it said that only the contract version would be available and that the PAYG was coming soon.

I find it a bit funny how some stores are taking pre-orders and O2 have said it will be first come first serve only in the text they sent to existing customers the other day.

So much conflicting info about the launch going about at the moment as well so it will be best just to wait until O2 officially release the details. I know everyone is getting excited, I am a bit as well but best to take everything with a pinch of salt at the moment.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you want it on Friday, why get it delivered? It could arrive much later in the day, if at all (and find you apparently received a card saying the courier couldn't deliver...). CWQ is going to get the nasty end of the stick. Apple gets best, then O2, with CW last.

7. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha thats the funniest word i have heard all day!!

I do NOT like contract...i am a freespirit and do not like to be tied down to a contract.

Plus a new iphone will be out within 12 months!!

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

9. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

But the way I see it is, you will always have a mobile phone, so you aren't really "tied down", as it is something you will always need. And with contract, you never run out of credit. And as for a new iPhone in 12 months, then early upgrade may be offered again, so it is all good.

10. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol its not just that...i am a heavy user.

on my 02 Sim Only i am getting;

1200 Minutes 1000 Texts Unlimited Web and Free Voicemail for £30...that is why i am so upset of the possibilty of not iphone on PAYG next Friday!

11. stomer macrumors 6502a

Minimum contract is £30, that's about £25 more than my average monthly spend on mobile call charges.

I never run out of credit with my Virgin PAYG, they just deduct whatever charges I've made directly from my bank account. There's no 'topping up'. Think of it as a £0 per month contract that can be cancelled at any moment.

And although my spending is very small, I do still need to have a mobile phone. Do I need to have an iPhone? Probably not, but I'd certainly pay around £200 to get rid of my current piece of junk.

12. HeavenDivine macrumors member

Confirmed no PAYG iPhone on the 11th:

Just phone the two traffordcentre o2 stores and both confirmed straight away, without hesitation, that the PAYG iPhone will not be available on the 11th and will be available within the following weeks. Both stores said exactly the same thing.

Also i asked "will you be selling the 16gb iPhone on Contract on launch?"
    they both also confirmed that with a single yes.

Bad News, but at least the 16gb is available.

Give them a call if you want:

0161 749 7218

0161 747 0076

13. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Have you or the bloke at CPW been drinking furniture polish or something? O2 are not doing PAYG until later in the year. CPW are simply an agent for O2 so if O2 don't have then CPW don't.

14. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

:mad: Only saying what actualy happened!!

15. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

sorry sdm1985 - just joking did not mean to insult ;)

But I just don't see how CPW can do this - I'd be back on the phone to them if I was you.

Sorry again :D

16. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

No worries...quite fancy trying that polish.

My head just hurts...i love the iPhone....i don't want a contract.

I have emails from 02 confirming it will be on PAYG so i will be 'kicking off on Friday'

17. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I'm going for contract but I do feel for you PAYG guys. Hope you are not forced to wait too long :)

18. Badgerguy macrumors member

Well, lets put it this way.

O2 know they're onto a winner here - they had 130,000 people register their interest in just the first week after the iPhone 3G was announced.

Now, if you were them would you:
    a) Push contracts over PAYG, given that you're subsidising the thing so heavily and want to make as much money as you can
    or b) Let people just buy a handset on PAYG and have them float off to other networks after hacking the thing.

I'll be very surprised if CPW can fulfill this order. Apple have gone out of their way to let the hype train rattle on and on, and you can bet that holding back on PAYG iPhones is one way to cut down the level of unlocking.

Contract is just fine with me - if I'm happy to stick with a 'plain' phone for the last 18 months, then I'm certainly going to be happy to use the iPhone on a plan with unlimited data and wifi use for the next 18!

--
    BG

19. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Spot on. They want the capital (what you pay for the phone) but the golden goose is the revenue (the recurring monthly contract for the next 18 months)

Get to good stuff now and then sweep-up the less desirable PAYG stuff later.

Good business.